I survived the dreaded Swine Flu *literally*

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Axeman, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Literally.

Asking why I wasn't here the entirty of this week?

I was sick with swine flu.

The real thing.

Not some bullshit online test, I went to a doctor, I got a test, and I had swine flu.

I spent 3 days feeling completely exhausted and throwing up and then I had abdominal pain *as per usual* then it pettered out into the same symptoms as the real flu. I am still a little stuffy, but I am overall fine now. I also spent a day sweating, nothing but sweating ALL DAY while doing nothing. That is also usual.

So in conclusion.

You throw up alot.
    You feel like someone dropped a bowling ball on your rib cage
    You then feel like you had the normal flu.
    You then sweat alot.
    You then earn bragging rights.

In all honesty I was dissapointed, I didn't even get a real T-Shirt with spooky letters.

2. Empty

Empty Member

I'm fairly sure I got swine flu.
    When it was at 'omgepidemic' status in Australia, I was spending 40 minutes a day in my Mum's office waiting to be taken home after school, she works as a public servant in what is basically the 'government handouts' office, and about 4-5 other people at her office officially got swine flu and a lot of others had sick days off that week for just 'the flu', and I got a really nasty flu that lasted 5~ days, first day was a bit stuffy, a bit fluey, second day was complete exhaustion, third day was further exhaustion + sweat + stuffy as shit. 4th day it was getting better. 5th day I was basically recovered.

It sucked, but I wasn't exactly fearing for my life.

No throwing up though.

EDIT: Or thread making :P

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i never get sick, and when i do its like "a bad cough", " a light fever" or "gassy bowels"

then again, gassy bowels happen quite often when i eat junkfood

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Isn't it just a slightly more dangerous version of regular flu? If you were at risk from regular flu (i.e. there was a chance you'd die) then you're quite likely to die from swine flu, but other than that...it'll just be a sick week or so...depending how much time you want off :p

5. Cloud

Cloud Member

I'm more or less ill all the time, but i tend to steer clear of more dangerous stuffs.
    And i only consider myself downright sick if i'm too ill to use my pc at all.

But yeah, gz on surviving i suppose... or not? Not much worse than an average flu. 'cept it also kills young ones.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

the swine flu is symptomatically identical to the regular flu. its primary difference from the normal flu is that it is active and communicable during all seasons, while the normal flu is only active during fall/winter months.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the swine flue is statistically less lethal per person then the normal flue

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I got the regular flu last weekend.. Never went to the hospital.. Drank a gallon of green tea and lots of orange juice and got lots of sleep. Now i'm drinking beer and smoking weed again!

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

drinking more then average stresses the kidneys and slows other healing processes

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i didnt fucking sit there and drink a gallon of green tea and orange juice in one sitting.. haha it was over a week

11. Kane

Kane Member

I just force me to sleep really, really long when I'm ill.
    And you usually have no other choice than drinking a lot as you transpire when you're ill much more than when not ill.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah and you dont eat a lot so luqids are good.. specially green tea with honey.. normally tastes like crap to me but when im sick its the best.

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

You can't make this conclusion unless you know what the person is drinking.

14. Empty

Empty Member

I drink whiskey when I'm ill.

15. RKB53

RKB53 Member

I've had it too, 'cept I recovered in 4 days

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

*sniff* *sniff*... huh... stinky...

The difference with H1N1 and the most common strains is that people don't have nearly as great a immune reaction in the beginning. This is part of the reason that infants are at the usual risk, while the elderly are at abnormally low levels of risk. Which is because of previous exposures to it.

Additionally, H1N1 is actually significantly less "dangerous" than "regular" influenza, however that is offset by its novelty to our immune system, which allows it to operate at full effect.

As for what pickled_heretic is trying to say (me thinks), is that influenza has been found to be spread far better in cool and dry air. Additionally, during the winter months people are in far closer contact with each other, for greater periods of time allowing ease of transmission.

17. Icefrenzy_TKER

Icefrenzy_TKER Member

Axeman mus not die YET!

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You managed to not die of influenza.

Stunning.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes i can, i just did

20. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

My college got it, like a quater of the students got it.

I got some sort of flu at that time which I kicked in a day. It might be that having denge fever recently strengthened my immune system but probably just a different flu.

the forced isolation may or may not have been extended a couple of days in order to watch films instead of doing work.