I made a mapping tutorial

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Kidpaler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Dz's input #2:
    Skimming through the videos a bit since I should be sleeping but mjeh!

[Tutorial 3]
    Hope you know that you can enlarge the model browser, just take one of the corners and drag it to make it bigger. Should help you browse models easier.

The reason some props doesn't show up does not have anything to do with the Start/Fade pixels.
    Read the compile log and it will complain that the model used doesn't support prop_static.
    In that case, use a prop_dynamic_override instead. So you don't need to change the fade pixels, setting the value to 500000 is the same as having it as -1.

[Tutorial 4]
    "You always want the props to stay on grid, if you don't they can cause a crash". This is completely false. Props doesn't cause a crash on the map if they're not on the grid, in fact you can hold alt to move them without disabling snap to grid. As long as you don't move them outside the map you're fine.

[Tutorial 5]
    Pretty sure that if you just set the number of the spawn, the emp_cap and the flag model to the same, they enable and disable automatically. So you don't need to use inputs.
    Tho it's good to show inputs work.

And for gods sake stop running vvis on fast. You're teaching people bad mapping! :)
    If you're experiencing crashes, it's probably because you compile vvis on fast.

-fast
    Only do a quick first pass. Does not actually test visibility." So you're rendering the whole map at all times.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VVIS

flasche likes this.
  2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I'll make a tutorial going over prop errors that I will go over why some don't show up and how to read console to determine why some aren't showing up. As for the fade distance, on Trenchassault I had an APC set to -1 and it kept fading out of view at about 1000 for some reason so I just raamped it up to 500000, but now its back to 3000. I'll go over this during optimization.

Oh? I was just going off of what you always told me "STOP GOING OFF GRID", either way, I don't think it'll hurt them to stay on grid. If it is a big issue, I can go over and try to amend this.

They do? Welp, I did not know that. I had it rigged up manually for all the flag capture maps I have done. Either way, it does show inputs which is good!

All of them as of now are like that. I won't do it in the future but for now people will be running it on fast. I'll fix it when I can.

Boy you are sure going to hate Tutorial 7.... At least, I think.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I thought the automatic stuff only worked for linear maps?

4. LordDz_2

Brushes = Always on grid.
    Props = Roll them around all you want.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I got up to Basic Optimization. Will be picking and choosing various topics now based on how well I think I know the information.

6. LordDz_2

Alrighty, Dz's input of criticism on the optimisation video.

Don't map on small grid sizes. Keep at 16-32, that way you don't have to zoom in so much when making your brushes.

Why are you still mapping in windowed mode for the map, I don't understand it.

Kill the manifest window.

DISPLACEMENTS DO NOT ACT AS A VVIS BLOCKER. Func_detail, displacements, brush based entities and props do not block vvis.
    The red line for the pointfile even shows this, as it goes through the displacement. :)

When compiling searching for leaks, don't compile with lighting on as it only increases the compile time.

There's no need to hit "Apply" when creating func_details or any other entity brush, they become applied when you create them with ctrl + t. You can see this as they turn green for func_details or purple for the entity.

When creating water, create a nodraw brush and only apply the top face with the water texture otherwise it will look weird when inside it.

At 11:50 you hit the circle cordon tool, which works like the cordon tool but only the things inside the circle.
    Only use it for debugging, same as cordon tool.

Youtubers with mapping tutorials

You're improving but you still have a lot to learn.