How to use a modifer on binds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lazybum, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Like when you hold control or some key and it can change what another button does. I know this is how you assign people to a control group works, but that has code support. I am not finding an easy way to do this on forums, or the google. Best available solution I could find was a post haschtewas made;
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=464580&postcount=34

I wanted to use this so I could hold shift and change wasd to move the commander camera. So because it isn't a one time thing I don't think the way haschtewas does it would work, unless I was misunderstanding how it works. Does anyone have a good idea of how to do this?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

haschte's script toggles with ctrl, it even says so in the description. modifier keys dont work afaik.

but why not bind comm controls to wasd right away - i see no reason why they are that stupid anyway.

3. Lazybum

A, S, D are used for attack, stop, and move orders. It's kinda hard to move them too because most of the keys surrounding them are taken up by the "all" control menu, so you just end up unbinding something.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how important in comparison to not having to move hands when getting in/out the cv ^^

5. Lazybum

I think most people click on the minimap or just move the mouse to the edges of the screen, that is what I did for a long time. After fiddling with the UDK I got used to being able to move around with wasd and thought it would be great to be able to do that in empires. Well that and I kept doing it when I was testing something in command mode and kept wondering why it wasn't moving.:p

After thinking about it though I only really need two keys, attack and stop. Just gonna have to fiddle with it a bit, thanks though.

6. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

"My" method works even for your very special problem.

But I might ask why are you not redef. the commander move view commands:
    bind_commander "UPARROW" "+emp_comm_forward"
    bind_commander "LEFTARROW" "+emp_comm_left"
    bind_commander "DOWNARROW" "+emp_comm_back"
    bind_commander "RIGHTARROW" "+emp_comm_right"
    in emp_config.cfg?
    Is it just because you want to keep:
    bind_commander "A" "+emp_comm_forceattack"
    bind_commander "D" "+emp_comm_umove"
    bind_commander "S" "emp_comm_ustop"
    bind_commander "W" "+emp_comm_zoom"
    ?
    In case this is true, you can adjust my given aliase script to bind the WSAD keys to move the comm view when holding the SHIFT key and rebinding the default key setup when releasing the key.
    If you have problems adjusting the aliase script let me know.