how to host a server with usermaps

Discussion in 'General' started by =HELLION=, May 29, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i was just wondering is it just me or can users not download maps in empires ? how do you set up a server to allow the download for the map files to get in to play ? as far as the last time i set up a server all that needed to be set to allow players to download maps was the sv_allowdownloads 1 or maybe it was uploads its been a long time :)

i was play testing my map slaughtered with the On|E clan and they put the files on the server, and it did not send to the players that were tring to join.. they manualy had to download the files from here to join the server..

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

yeh would be cool if fast download worked :]

3. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

oh so it just doesnt work? i thought something was odd when it wouldnt even send the bsp.

4. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

I would think sv_allowdownloads 1 is what enables the trickle download. But if that isn't working... *shrugs*

Fast downloading is set up a little differently. You have to be hosting a website, and then set it up so people can download from the website using the http protocol* . The player never notices, but what his client is doing is disconnecting from the game server to download the necessary files from the webserver, then reconnecting. Ironically, you can host the webserver on the same box as the game, and enjoy fast downloads just as well. Why Valve never built this into the dedicated server automatically... As it is, it's a lot of work to get all the necessary components to talk to each other properly.

And when it's all set up, you hope no one floods your connection. :p

*I know the "p" stands for protocol! Excuse my explanatory redundancy, some people might not recognize htt for http

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  5. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well this is odd , i plaied on the on|e server, they could not get it set up where clients can download automaticly , but i also asked the stormed.de servers to host, Hans from there servers got it set up, and player were joining left and right and it was a real blast. in fact the admin liked the map and i think he added it to the server#2's rotation.. we had a few good games on it .. one where i got well slaughtered but it was 2 vs comm for the 1st 5 mins so they had plenty of time to rush me... was still fun though tring to hold up a fight.. his server was using some form of admin mod and i when i asked players if they got it off the web site here or the server, they were saying the server... is there anybody that can recommend how to set this up ? i would like to help out the On|E servers to get it set up

6. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

you need a res file if you don't have one

7. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

6th: thx man res files are pritty much server side files right ? i should not need to include them with the map because everybodys servers got a differnt file location ? Cpt.Hans from the stormed servers are hosting my map and he pm'd me with instructions on how he got it to work... im tring to help the On|e servers get theres up and runing.... i think they just did it too

8. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

yeh with a list of things to download :)