How to: DotA 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Done. Any questions can be posted below. Any things I should add can be suggested below too.

Terminology

Pulling: The act of agroing a creep neutral camp and pulling them into your own lane where your own creeps will agro the neutral creeps, thus PULLING THEM OUT OF THE LANE. Pulling ensures a denial of a bit experience and gold for opposing team and adds xp and gold to your team.

pulling timing is always 14-17, 44-47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFu-Q4X9mM

Stacking: Basicly pulling but no to agro your own creeps but to make the neutral camp spawn creeps whilst you are pulling the creeps.

stacking timing is always 52-54
    Creep camps spawning have nothing to do with vision but range, if you are in range of the camp you will block it from spawning

CREEP CAMPS ALWAYS SPAWN ON THE MINUTE X:00

SS: Stands for "miss". The player calling SS is telling everyone to be carefull in their lane cause a hero in his lane is gone and probably off ganking another lane. Or getting a rune.

RE: Stands for "returned". The player calling RE is telling everyone the hero that was missing has now returned to lane

Ganking,gank: The act of leaving your lane to, try, killing another player in another lane.
    Good ganking heroes are heroes with stun or high burst damage.

Lasthitting and denying : Both are the act of giving the creep the final blow in killing it. Denying means killing your own creeps and DENYING other players gold and 3/4th of the xp gained from a creep. Normal lasthitting just gives you gold.

Gold: Shit you use to buy other shit with. 3 ways to get gold. Every 4 seconds you get 5 gold so thats 1.25 gold/second. Killing creeps gives you gold and kiling enemy heroes.

Video about ganking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5bF4R3r0E&list=PLF50cvv4MhVrEdrQw2kGnJ7ag7eT1RfO2

Classes

Carry: Heroes that get better exponentially by getting more gold.
    Items carry buy, damage items or items increasing survivability e.g. : Daedalus, bkb, mjolnir, butterfly, diffusal blade, mkb etc etc

What to do as carry ? LAST HIT LAST HIT LAST HIT LAST HIT, TP TPTPTPTPTPTPTTP. You basicly last hit everything and tp when its really needed, 3 man tower dive etc etc. you just need gold so you lasthit every single thing.

VIDEO ABOUT LASTHITTING :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_0NP4U8aUk&list=PLF50cvv4MhVrEdrQw2kGnJ7ag7eT1RfO2&index=15

Support: These heroes support their team, buying essential items like mekanism, sentry wards, observer wards, couriers.
    Other items they buy are utilities like, euls scepter, blink dagger, force staf etc.

What to do as support ?

Gankers: Heroes that have high burst damage and or stun. Most supports can play a ganking roll too, great ganking heroes go to midlane so they can get to another lane faster to do a gank.
    Items they buy what ever they need at that moment, being versatile and shit.

VIDEO ON HOW TO GANK AND ROAM:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5bF4R3r0E&list=PLF50cvv4MhVrEdrQw2kGnJ7ag7eT1RfO2&index=17
    A few of Paradox' rules.

What to do as ?

1: ALWAYS CARRY A TP. Teleport scrolls can save your teammate their lifes and kill enemy heroes that are diving. Mobility is realy important in dota.

2: If you don't see an enemy hero on the minimap they are probably trying to kill you. GET WARDS AND PAY ATTENTION TO MINIMAP
    VIDEO ON MAP AWARENESS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hUA2RW_y0E&list=PLF50cvv4MhVrEdrQw2kGnJ7ag7eT1RfO2&index=1

3: STICK TO YOUR FUCKING ROLE. If you're a support buy support items and dont steal lh's

4: Don't overextend and stick together, don't cross over to their part of the map without support or without tp's, you're giong to get yourself killed. Stick together with your teammates, roaming alone is fucking stupid.

5: Listen to Paradox

TEAM COMPOSITION

Putting together your team. You have 3 lanes. Mid lane 1 hero, 2 side lanes with both having 2 heroes. In each lane you want to have atleast 1 ranged hero.

In every lane you have a hero that lasthits and a hero that harasses. Both heroes try to deny.

The more ranged heroes the more chance to win.
    The more strenght heroes the more chance to win.
    The more heroes with stuns the more chance to win.

WARDING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQn8UCNRc_U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shUh1ZS7G_Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1IkBaFP5Q

ps: most to all videos are from dota cinema or xvroguegaming

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. Paradox

that guide is really well, but it's too long, I kind of know what stage they are right now and are helping them from there on

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Do you know the amount of times I have died following this advice?

Too many to count.

5. Paradox

have you counted the amount of times you won the game because of it?

ps: its more than the times it got you killed ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. BroT

BroT Member

Der Füsh has spoken. Don't question his authority!

@topic: Dota is kinda cool. Need to get used to the layout & controls.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Para-nevergoingtobeasgoodasDeif-dox.

8. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Your timings are wrong and most of the times are variable.

9. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

Yes, listen to mediocre players.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Deif has 30 hours in Dota. Paradox has over a thousand.

Yup, sounds legit.

11. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

dota or dota2?

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

No one listens to stuff about team composition anyway. Its all about "OMG I WANT TO PLAY THIS HERO NOW". I tried to explain it multible times now that you cant have, for example, two melee carry in one lane but in the end no one cares anyway. I mean that are the basics you know that after reading a single short guide about the game. Nothing fancy or complicated.

The excuse that most dont know the heros roles is bullshit, their is a menu in dota 2 to sort heros after roles, range/melee etc... We played so many games now where I thought 4 minutes in "this is so lost" and typed "this will propably end bad" in the chat, the response is usually "omg dont be so negative, dont whine bla bla bla" usually from those people that fucked the team composition.

Paradox you said I talk like someone that knows dota. Yes because it looks like im the only one of those that started to play 2 weeks ago that actually bothered to read a guide about how the game works.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Deif has probably like 3000 hours in HoN, playing at a really high level.

14. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Any team composition works in your bracket

15. Paradox

Fucking idiot. All my times are right. They are for the dire and radiant medium pull camp. Obviously it doesnt apply to say dire small camp that is pulled at 03 and 33.

And my stacking times are spot on.

Fucking idiot.

16. Paradox

I'm in the highest bracket of Dota atm. the very high bracket. You can check it nigguh.

17. Paradox

People in pubs dont listen. in higher brackets they do.

Edit stop playing all pick.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's doesn't really matter about the heroes you pick in low level brackets. You're just getting to know the heroes and the mechanics of the game. You're going to lose a lot and you will lose badly until you're able to know the strengths and weaknesses of every hero on the map. Hell, even I don't know all the heroes, but I'm getting there.

One problem with your play Mayama, and it's the same as a lot of players that have just started to play Dota 2 - your farm (gold per minute) is terrible. You need to learn and practice last hitting the creeps/pulling jungle creeps into a lane/not waiting around so much without doing anything. A support should be aiming at 250gpm at the 15 minute mark. You get that by not dying and taking opportunities in empty lanes when it is safe for you to farm a couple of creep waves. At the moment you are all consistently below 150 gold per minute, and that is not enough. So it doesn't matter about heroes in a lane, it's all about how you adapt and handle the situation. If you can't do anything in that lane then don't sit there like a prick, go to another lane or to the jungle and get some gold/gank a hero.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

When I play as support, which I do the most time it feels like I dont need any gold at all exept for boots and wards. Those heroes I play like dark seer or disrupter feel like they work no matter how much gold you have. So I dont bother with getting gold, dark seer for example has only one skill that scales with stats and you dont use it for damage anyway. I usually have never time to farm anyway cause I run/port around to hop into teamfights or push lanes back. Even in high level tournament play, hard-support ends up with having very low xp/gold compared to the rest of the team. About leaving a lane to jungle, for example yesterday where I was forced to play witch doctor alone against two in a lane what should I do? Leaving the lane to jungle like you said and allowing them to take the tower? Going to another lane and steal the farm/xp from the rest of my team while they get the tower and freefarm?

...and of course composition is important and will lose you games even in the bracked we play. For example look at that weird game we played in which our stupid team comp forced you to lane alone in a sidelane as alchemist against 2 ranged, which is basicaly suicide.

You can say about cpatton what you want but in the single game I played with him + bsid and slade we discussed what we do, planed which heros we take, composition and accordingly to the enemy heros and it worked alot smoother than any game I played bevor. We had people with under 10 games played in this team.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  20. Paradox

Gold doesnt matter for a support but it does anyway. Gold always helps meaning getting more items = always good.