Hostility from oldbies = running out of targets

Discussion in 'General' started by Stromko, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Stromko

Stromko Member

I've noticed a certain elitism(or maybe just lameness), and lack of just common courtesy, from a lot of players in the PST evening timeslot on the only servers that are active. It seems like there was a big community and a lot of cool folks back when 1.0 came out, even though it was a horrendously laggy mess.. maybe that we don't have to cooperate to keep the lag from killing the server anymore is cutting down on the need for compromise? I don't know.

I won't name names, because frankly I can't even remember any names, but... my experiences tonight have pretty much turned me off from playing Empires at all. Actually, I don't really have a choice now unless I want to jump onto an empty server, since I was banned from the server for about a minute of protest.

After a round in which the clanners(on the other team) had built a heavy fortified base right next to our starting location and hemmed us in, then finished us off with artillery before the game could really begin in earnest, I was pissed and on the next round-- after finding that I'd accidently joined the side with one of the clanners-- I shot at him (useless, friendly fire was off), and switched to the other team. This stacked the numbers, and they yelled at me to switch teams.. well I only had about 30 seconds warning before they banned me.

I was already wanting to quit though because I was sickened by the whole thing and had been for some time. You'd think a clan for f**k's sake would want to play fair and get a good battle going, take on a challenge instead of just fencing off the enemy base with Rank 3 turrets, mines, etc and wasting the hapless infantry and light AFV's with artillery. Someone was saying they'd done this round after round after round, though I didn't see it for myself since I'd only played for that round (and for about 2 minutes of the next round before getting banned).

I hate to be a downer, so I hope this post is somewhat productive somehow. I don't mean to hurt the morale of the community, the fact is there's still some cool people around, but there's also some pretty ruthless jerks with mod privileges on some servers. I'm sure I'm not the first opponent they've banned, and it explains why they've only got 6 people at what should be a mid-peak time... of course, that's six times as many people as any other Empires server has.

I really hope 1.8 has some good balance tweaks. I'd like to think that there's enough people out there who want a challenge and variety instead of using cheap tactics over and over again, but another route may be to just remove or make more complicated the cheesiest tactics somehow. Maybe upgradeable infantry weapons so the underdogs who can't afford a bunch of tanks can defend themselves, maybe make artillery less lethal or defensible somehow or more expensive, maybe fix incendiary machineguns so they can't instantly nullify any vehicle.. I dunno, I bet the developers know a lot better than me how to balance the game they made, but I say it can't come soon enough.

edit: I've gone through and removed, where I can find instances, any reference to the specific server; based on cwevan's posts it sounds like I may have been crucially wrong about what server I was playing on (although my steamid is different than my screenname here and in the game, that he can't find the incident at all in the logs suggests that there may be nothing to find in the logs of that server; IE, I wasn't on that server-- I was sure at the time, in the heat of the moment, but no longer certain and I do not wish to smear anyone).

I see from the first page alone there's dozens of people who care very much about playing a fair game, so I certainly won't put Empires down for its community and I'm happy to hear the next version and the R&D server are much more balanced as well.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you're totally right, and this is why in the next patch I'm going to bug our server administrator (BSID servers) untill he puts a turretlimit of 10 or less on it, no turret spam, no arty spam. Problem fixed.

Im sick and tired of people doing exactly the same thing every game, but having no teamwork is worse.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I'm sorry to hear about this negative experience you've had. Please, don't let it influence your opinion of the whole game. Sometimes you can have absolutely fantastic games, and even if you lose in the end, it is fun defending down to the last man. Just stick with it for a while, and you'll have one of these rounds eventually.

I would also contact the commwarriors admin. It sounds like it was a bit of a misunderstanding. You shouldn't really stack, regardless of who you are playing with, but this is no way should constitute a ban. I'm sure if you calmly explain what happened, it can be sorted out.

And yes, I believe the arty is greatly reduced in power for the next version. If you want to see a preview of what it will be like, go to the BSID R&D server. AFAIK that's running all the latest settings.

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

ive been saying that sence 1.0

but please stay, if you can get a game with no clansmen, or at least no "skill stackers" (making it clan vs public), then it really is a great game.

besides, next patch is making arty more balanced so thats one less thing to worry about.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Sorry about what happened :mad: I wasn't there and have been unable to find it in the logs (do you remember when it happened?). Do you remember any names?

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Removing (almost) artillery and turrets won't make this game better. It will be even harder to protect from LT rushes. Turrets are already nerfed (fucking long research time comparing to old one) and artillery should only have small arty nerfed.

Just give more money so noobs can learn driving vehicles. (double armor price bug fixed will slightly change it but not enough IMHO)

7. dizzyone

you can put 5 turrets on 2 places, enough to stop hordes of light tanks.
    Arty is nerfed to a point where it requires teamwork to use, a good player will still do great damage by himself, R&D has shown that, but in most cases you're going to have to use teamwork to operate it properly.

Keep in mind in possible stalemates this nerfing could cause, you still have HE shells to end it, they still have a very decent explosion radius.

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I know this is not the point of your post, but

-None the CW admins claim to have banned you
    -It is not showing up in the logs
    -Your steamID is not in any of the banlists

:confused:

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That's what always happens these days - the players usually get arty and bombard eachother until they run out of reinforcements or until the CV/Barracks are destroyed.
    I've been bugging people not to do it, but they won't listen. It's just like those people that annoy others in schools, they usually get thrown out if they are actually punished for it.
    In other words, i suggest (and have suggested before) a seperate limit on arty tanks, and the ability to disable arty research.
    Nobody liked the idea back then though...

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Neither now. :P

dizzyone: ok after separating whining from my idea: if vehicles are cheap game is lot of fun (for newbies). No game will be lost just because someone made few turrets or bought an artillery. Usually on BSID server (battle and r&d) getting another 1k res for decent AFV takes from 2 to 5 minutes.

11. Simon

Simon Banned

oxymoron

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Thats why I like the O|nE server; with its rates any mistakes are easily glossed over, and generaly I had alot mor GG's there...

We all had a bad game like that, I know I had more then my share, but I stick with the mod, for the good games more then make up for it...

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Simon: best AFV that you can get costs like 1k. It has similar cost to decent config of other vehicles. And BTW in group it isn't that bad in comparison to LT. :P

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

This guy has a point. people should be nicer to noobies. don't order them, coax them.

as for me, I always always use Auto Assign, because it's fair and usually puts me on the underdogs.

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Same here, although I did once throw me on BE when it was stacked 9 (BE) - 7 (NF). I was pretty confused at first :p

As for cheaper vehicles: The vehicles themselves have been made slightly cheaper and the research to get them aswell. We'll test out all these changes in the forum release, I'm sure.

16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) This is so funny... Some semi-oldies thought that I was some newbie last time I was playing. "Wereaser, what are you doing? Get back here. We'll arty rush them." I disobeyed my commander and killed 3 mg turrets, 2 grenadiers, 1 engineer and the enemy barracks(which their commander never rebuilt leading into our victory in emp_mvalley). I listen to orders when they make sense, otherwise I'm using my own judgment(which surprisingly enough works better most of the time).

Yes, there certainly is some elitism brewing in the community. Some people think that they are better than anyone else(hell even my fake clan tag didn't convince them otherwise). Weed it out and help the newbies, I need my cannon fodder!

edit: I don't trust the auto assign, I always look at the scoreboard and then pick the losing team.

17. dizzyone

Auto assign unbalances teams

and M00tant, I don't know what kind of AFV's you buy, but there is no such thing as a 1k AFV, not even on the battlefield servers.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I meant VGUI price. :P

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I always help out nubs ingame instead of screaming "READ THE FUCKING MANUAL NUB!"

20. Simon

Simon Banned

Double armor ftl. I imagine comp afv would be around that as shown cost. I find newbs, or the dreaded "I've been playing for a week and am elite" players to be way more bossy. I don't mind people asking me for stuff and as long as it is resonable (ie armory) I'll drop it. But I cannot stand mic spam. Mic spam me for something even if it is resonable and I will drop it and recycle it (If I can even figure out who the fuck you are), as long as we are winning. But really most experienced players I find will follow orders. Newbies tend to be a flip of the coin.

But the "I've been playing for a week and know everything" players are by far the worst. You all know who I am talking about. "OMG GET TURRETS THEN COOLANT AND ABSORBANT" "WTF GET US BETTER TANKS" "OMG WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH THE CV" "Omg newb needs a tank to kill me" "LOL you are emp_recruit you don't even know how to change your name, noob"

Playing under Emp_Recruit = win. I know some of the rest of you do it too. But i'll be damned if there isn't anything funner.