Homeworld Remastered Collection

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Feb 24, 2015.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

History

The real-time strategy genre has been relatively stable since 1995. Additions to the genre's concept in newer games tend to emphasize more of the basic RTS elements (higher unit caps, more unit types, larger maps, etc.).

Rather than innovations to the game concept, new games generally focus on refining aspects of successful predecessors. As the paragon example of gameplay refinement, Cavedog's acclaimed Total Annihilation from 1997 distilled the core mechanics of Command & Conquer, and introduced the first 3D units and terrain in real-time strategy games.

The Age of Empires idea was refined further by Stainless Steel Studios' Empire Earth in 2001. GSC Game World's Cossacks: European Wars series took the genre in a different direction, bringing population caps into the tens of thousands.

Dungeon Keeper (1997), Populous: The Beginning (1998), Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds (1998), Homeworld (1999), and Dark Reign 2 (2000) were among the first completely 3D real-time strategy titles.

Homeworld is the critically-acclaimed first installment in the computer game series of the same name. The game was developed by Relic Entertainment and published by Sierra Entertainment in September 1999. The game was re-released in 2015 by Gearbox Software under the title Homeworld Remastered.

Homeworld was notable in that it featured a 3D environment in space, therefore allowing movement in every direction, a feature which its semi-sequel, Homeworld Cataclysm (2000) continued to build upon adding features such as waypoints. Homeworld 2, released in 2003, streamlined movement in the 360° 3D environment.

Story

Homeworld is a 3D real-time strategy game set in space and focusing on the conflict between the Kushan, who are attempting to locate their long-lost homeworld, and the Taiidan Empire which is trying to destroy them.

Deported to a harsh desert world, exiles have struggled for three thousand years to regain the stars. Now it's up to you to guide them home through a brutal empire bent on annihilation. The game comprises sixteen single-player missions and a multiplayer mode.

The story continues that, while it wasn't known at the time, the Hyperspace Core found in the Khar-Toba that was used to power the Mothership was incredibly rare and one of only three in the galaxy. The Cores, of which the Kushan had the second, were left behind by a so-called Progenitor race, which eventually allowed hyperspace travel.

The First Core was possessed by the Bentusi: a powerful and enigmatic race of traders who assisted the Exiles during the first game. The third was lost until approximately one hundred years after the Exiles reclaimed Hiigara, found by a Vaygr Warlord named Makaan. With his massive Flagship empowered by the third core, Makaan began a campaign of conquest, seizing control of the remnants of the Taiidan Empire and surrounding star systems, and—as of the beginning of Homeworld 2—began attempts to capture Hiigara.

The story states that religious beings of the galaxy consider the discovery of the Third Core to announce the End Times, during which Sajuuk, thought to be an immensely powerful being, will return. Makaan believes himself to be the Sajuuk-Khar, a messianic figure that will unite the Three Cores and herald the return of Sajuuk.

Accolades

E3 1999 - Game Critics Awards: Best Strategy Games[32]
    IGN 1999 - Game of the Year
    PC Gamer 1999 - Game of the Year
    Well-Rounded Entertainment 1999 - Game of the Year
    Gaming Globes 1999 - Best Original Score: Paul Ruskay and for Homeworld
    Metacritic - Best and Worst Computer Strategy Games, Top 10: Position 3 (2010)
    Paul Ruskay won the Best Score Award for the Homeworld Soundtrack at the Gaming Globes 2000.

Music

With the exception of a song by the rock group Yes entitled "Homeworld (The Ladder)" (from their 1999 CD The Ladder), most of the music in the game is ambient. It includes Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei, the choral version of his Adagio for Strings, performed by Santa Barbara's Quire of Voyces. A 13-track CD soundtrack was bundled with the Game of the Year Edition of Homeworld and features the original soundtrack by Paul Ruskay.

Warning!

I am extremely biased towards homeworld because it was one of my first computer games.

Gearbox currently owns the ip and they have a streak of buying IP's and then murdering them viciously. I am shilling this because it contains the classic homeworld 1 and 2 games and it will have supported multiplayer and better resolutions. Which is what I wanted forever.

You get both games for 35$ which is a deal for me, however some of you should wait for a sale on it because of the region set prices. Which is complete bullshit, it costs 90 polaks in z!ooms country so I used my birthday money to buy myself a copy and him one as well seeing as we both grew up with homeworld while it has the 15% off preorder sale.

Now we both hope gearbox did not fuck this up, and I pretty much bought this because im impulsive with money and love homeworld.

Videos

[youtube]MMWn4btduJE[/youtube]

[youtube]txTWqEHwDBY[/youtube]

[youtube]vEQKUbrq32c[/youtube]

Screens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I thought about this pretty hard but, I played the shit out of it when I was younger and now I duno if I could get into it. I must have beat the whole damn thing 7 times trying different strategies. Decided to wait till the reviews are in for it. So hit me up when you get to play yours a bit and tell me if its worth it.

3. BigTeef

If HD versions suck, they give you both games in thier classic format untouched.
    With supported resolutions and multiplayer.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

can i buy spaceships tho

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no its play2win. shocking new concept :3

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Nygga Homeworld1 is the perfect game for you, you dont as much buy ships as steal them as from every fool you come across.

Salvage target acquired

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I've had an original disc since forever. All I'd ever do though is install it, watch that amazing intro and play the first two levels...then uninstall it (after a year of it just sitting there).

Never could get into it. That beginning is just awesome though.

8. BigTeef

[youtube]1OzAXHnTN1E[/youtube]

Here one of my guys got a review copy.
    Its a full half hour video with a overview, he basically just plays the game.

If you care about gameplay watch this, its a full skirmish match.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Bought it the moment it was announced. Omneh got me into playing the multiplayer with him over Hamchi, as well as Complex and Complex Enhanced mods. I've never played the single player but I might well get round to it. The biggest problem with the multiplayer was the amount of desyncs or whatever that essentially ended the game instantly. C&C Generals Zero Hour suffered from very similar problems. Introduce AI into the mix and the problem becomes immeasurably worse.

The new multiplayer beta has new netcode, which should totally fix this. Once the mod support is in, this shit is going to be fantastic. I honestly can't wait.

10. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

I tried the original once and it was a very good experience.
    Really looking forward to buying this collection, but i am short on the monies...
    And is it not compatible with gnu/linux systems? That'd be funny considering they're using openGL 3.3...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Out of general interest I looked up how much you have to pay for a copy of Homeworld: Cataclysm today. (You can't get a legal digital version.) And holy shit: $129 for a new copy and $29 for a used one. (It's pretty easy to find ISOs for it though.)

Also if anyone want's more games similar to Homeworld, check out O.R.B. (Offworld Resource Base)

Also can't wait for Homeworld: Shipbreakers

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I find ~30€ for two 10+ years old games a little high, even when they are remastered.

13. BigTeef

Your getting 4, 2 of the remastered and 2 classic.
    And there was a 15% sale before today.
    Which saved me like 5$.

in euros that would be... 3?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Additionally bug fixes, interface improvements and added features to the multiplayer.

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

This looks like it's going to be a properly remastered game rather than the usual just updating the shaders and higher resolutions.
    Unlike what Micro$oft has been doing with it's old RTS games.

16. Z100000M

Realy, im only kinda worried how the sp vs mp is going to look like.
    From what ive seen, hw1 ships in mp have been rebalanced for more of a hw2 feel.
    I just dont know how that will work for sp with changed aggro rules and you usually having to keep stuff alive.

17. Z100000M

Salvage corvettes now home onto everything like a motherfucker

So much sweet raider salvage :3333

18. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Several reports of the game being broken and buggy are out there right now.

Any of you guys have experience with it yet?

19. BigTeef

I am not seeing any of this shit people are talking about.

Multiplayer has issues yeah but single player has been working great, 1 and 2.
    Honest to god, what the fuck are people doing to break their game?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  20. Z100000M

There were suprising lots of bugs and some bizzare shit going on my end

M3 frigs unsalvageable
    Still no 6 cryo trays secured audio clip (boo)
    Docking got bugged so i had to do a hard restart at one point
    Fucking game doesnt tell you it uses auto res collection now.
    Oh and rubber bands a bitch.
    Cant retire Daggers in the mission you get them but can afterwards, reason unknown
    Ships doing drive bys on wrecks in caros for no reason at all
    Needleship has like a third of its hp.
    Fuck the new Shoals Gate.
    Research ship doesnt spin around after being completed anymore.
    Ghost ship with rubberband is INSANE. I had over FORTY assualt frigates chasing me around. It didnt help i got al of them which made the next mission a fucking hell on earth too.
    Have fun figuring out wheres the space dust on supernova.
    Mines dont home??
    Junkyad dog is invulnerable while holding your ship. Said dog can then proceed to haul the ship for 10 minutes around the place, or just instantly convert it.
    Captain Elson doesnt suicide into the flagship anymore (Yeeeey)
    Neither do the last hurrah interceptors (Boo)
    In fact, nothing that did kamikaze runs at the MS does so. Carrier M5? Nope. Cruisers in Higara? Well they are going to gib the MS before even going into range so theres that.
    The timing in the last mission is completely broken, kinda ruining the whole feel.
    The council still consist in one ship :sss
    No more YES in the credits, cheapskates.
    HW2 textures are super low res, lower than Hw1, what the fuck is going on?
    Both games using the same unit responses feels wrong.
    Aggro is al over the place. Your ships wont even fire unless attacked upon on default, but anything above hold fire wil make them aggro on anything withing half the map.
    Formations are ten kinds of bad, and outside of them ships never keep rank.
    Defense frigs are slow as molases and their shield works maybe 20% of the time.
    Battlecruisers errywhere in the 3 prelast missions, but their Ai is broken so they just stand there and take it.
    Sajuks hyperspace ability icon is no longer purple.
    Phased cannon sounds (both of them) are bugged.
    Platforms dont parade
    Platforms dont fire on the move
    Repaired Hig BC in the last mission dont get out of their "im helpless state'.
    They took out the "youre fucked now" music in the last mission, but kept the stupid fucking Bring Sajuk to bear bug in. What the fuck guys, this isnt a joke mod.

Overall those are still great games, but hw1 starts feeling off when you start getting super-caps.
    I wished they polished it more though, it feels a bit rushed imo.

Did you actually got control over Soban after rescuing him in vanilla HW2? If so, fuck me i never noticed.
    Oh and now you get to keep the hyper space gates youve captured in gehenna, you can cheese the shit outta the dust mission in a minute with a measly 1k res spent. Awesome.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015