Help Please!

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Zombie Invasion, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Zombie Invasion

Zombie Invasion Member

I'm having general trouble making a bunker door. I am trying to use an enity for the door(will this even work?), but the problem is that my doorway is larger than the door itself. I am unable to expand the door to fit my needs, thru either the standard way, or by just transforming it. I am also thinking about how to set up the switch for opening the bunker door. Here ios what I am trying to accomplish in this door (I think I am going to need a new model).

-The Bunker Door Needs To Do A Few Things.
    - Have 2 switchs on both the inside and outside of the bunker itself.
    - The swithces need to only respond to those of the Imp (genetic modification has allowed mind-machine interafce thus only the Imp can open it).
    - The door needs to be destructable/repairable (to allow the NF a chance to fight back)
    *Optional: Firing Ports

2. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

My hammer knowledge is a little rusty, so I could be wrong here, but this is what I think you need to do.

Create a brush. Adjust it so it's the size of your door, and proporly fits in the bunker door area. Apply textures, adjust it, all of that good stuff, so that it looks like a bunker door.

Now, you need to select the brush, and on the right of Hammer, hit "To Entity". it is now an entity. Now, go into its parameters, and make it a "Func_Door" (I think). Adjust the parameters so it moves the right way, at the right speed, and whatnot.

I won't go into details about making switches open it, because honestly I've never done it and I would only be guessing how. But baby steps :P. Make the door first, so that it opens up when you walk near it for testing purposes, and by then I'm sure someone will have told you how to make a switch, or have linked you to a tutorial :P

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

A word of advice - Doors really do not work well in multiplayer. Lag makes you clip through them, get stuck as they open etc. (Hidden and Dystopia had this problem a lot). Try to avoid them unless it's absolutely necessary.

4. Zombie Invasion

Zombie Invasion Member

Ya, right now I am restructuring my bunker so as to manitainn the difficulty of getting in but removing the door. Instead I want to create a chokepoint where the door would normally be.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

In order to have the door imp only you need to use a special entity, its not in the fgd by standard but it is in cs: source.I'm going to give you my fgd, its the same as the standard one but with the entity in it and modifed for easyness(the names of the teams).Its the entity filter_activator_team, you have to make the button trigger the entity, which should have an output OnPass which triggers the door with toggle/open/close.Make sure its set up so it only allows BE.
    View attachment 26

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  6. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you use a prop as a door, then you wont have the lag problem cous they are calculated on your own pc in multiplayer

prop_door

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Wouldn't that actually be worse? Packets could get dropped and it could end up being in different states at different times for different people, couldn't it?

9. Zombie Invasion

Zombie Invasion Member