Heavy tanks

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DonMegel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's gonna be huge though, it'd look kinda silly.

A pair of four-pack missile launchers would be fine.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

im amazed that you know that something is silly without any clue how it will actually look

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can extrapolate.

You said you want something different form just a cluster of tubes, a cluster of tubes is the most minimal approach to missile launchers, so it's going to be bigger than a cluster of tubes.

Those things on the side of the turret are about as small as I would go for a missile launcher, so it would have to be bigger than that or it'd look silly.

However if you make something big enough to hold 3 tubes (the minimum you need for it to really be 'rotary' and then add in the mechanical stuff required to make it look like it could rotate, it's going to look really big and silly.

Besides, why would you make a rotary missile launcher? Missiles don't need to rotate because they are loaded one into each tube, because one per tube is the most efficient form of missile storage and firing, if you have a lot of them and load them into a single tube as they are fired, that's going to take up all the space required to store them (so the same amount of space as a simple rack of missiles would take) plus the space for the loading machinery. Even then it doesn't need to rotate, things only rotate when they fire like ten thousand rounds per minute because they'd overheat otherwise, missiles don't fire that fast, grenade launchers don't fire that fast either, grenade launchers are just automatic single barrel guns which shoot grenades rather than bullets.

A missile is a tube and a rocket, you light the rocket and it flies out of the tube, I've made a very pretty engine effect for missiles, they don't need excessively large and complex launchers which would just make the tank look daft.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id go for something like this:

[​IMG]

5. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

No, no massive missile rack on the Beast. No more than 3 missiles. I'll just make a different heavy tank model if we are sticking with the painful missile boat idea.

Whats the problem with making a special gun for the NF heavy that is more potent? Add a little bit more armor and a little more powerful gun. Tweak as necessary.

BTW started on the new new NF medium tank, the "NF Dopey"

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Are these replacement models or additional models for expanding the empires tank situation?

I think it would be awesome to just have more tanks, 2 heavy's, one missile boat one cannon whore, per team :P

7. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Replacment models. We can't have awesome models along side suck models.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Give NF better 3 slot cannons and a 3 slot HE cannon or smthn. BE can have 2 cannons and NF can have 1 cannon with just like 2x the values or w/e. Unique but the same yknow?

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

As said bevor this could work but i guess its better to give i 1,7 damage of the 2 canons.
    AND !!! From a game play point of view it must be clearly and absolut understandable
    for everyone that the ONE CANON on the NF heavy is as dangerous as 2 canons on the BE counterpart.

10. spellman23

spellman23 Member

shiny models....

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Because as I've said lots of times, giving one side different stuff only means people will prefer one side or the other, and makes the game harder to balance.

Giving both sides all the stuff makes the game easier to balance and removes that desire to stack, and also means you have more choice because you can actually choose a different gun, rather than being forced to use it by which team you're on.

If it isn't signficiantly different from the other team, what's the point in making it team-specific? If it is significantly different from the other team, see above for the problems associated with it.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

A canon that has twice the damage is very different from 2 canons that
    have combined the same damage output. Its not THAT easy to balance.
    Its not a cheap and easy solution. Just wanted to point that out.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes that's also true, high damage low speed cannons have a whole bunch of problems associated with them.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would prefer empires factions to be different on aesthetics only as to provide even matches

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Even the slightes difference in the art style makes the factions uneven.
    Bigger tank hull = easier target, infantry has the same color as the ground = better camoflage asf...

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So make the tanks more or less the same size, and ensure that camoflage doesn't confer much advantage, such as by making very visible muzzleflashes like I did for my particle effects, or by introducing a targets system which bypasses camoflage, like I suggested in a couple of threats about targets.

Also be aware that some differences don't actually matter, heavy tanks are huge, exactly how huge they are makes little difference.

17. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Hold on hold on hold on a mo. What ever happend to the "oh yea were gonna be adding side sponsons that actully work in the next NF heavy. If u all think that it wouldnt work cus they only fire sideways just bring them out a little so that can face a 180 degree angle like these:

[​IMG]

Im sure sponson guns on the beast wouldnt look too bad :p Or even better add the sponsons to the Med tank even if they are mg slots it would certainly make Med tanks more useful :D

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

sponsons to the beast wouldn't work, where would you put them?

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

in the wheels so you feel like riding a washing machine while you using it...

20. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Ofcourse clone teams are easie to ballence but they are not nearly as much fun. Diffrent teams only lead to stacking if one side is overpowered. If that is the case it just has to be adjusted.

A more potent gun on the nf heavy would become apperant to every after they play a couple matches and/or the stats get posted.

I think we should make diffrent turrets that can be chosen for the chasis that each have certain armor values and weapon loadouts. Make turrets recieve damage seperatly and allow the tank to still go back an repaire even if the turret dies.