Health Change &(Completly)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Satanchild666, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Right now the way health is managed in Empires feels cheap and dull.

I sugest the following:

Blood Bar(If your blood drops to a certain point you die)
    And different body parts having different effects on the players performance.

Body Part:
    -Left Arm
    -Right Arm
    Light damage to the arms result in decreased accuracy and weapon shaking(HMG effect).
    Severe damage may causo you to be unable to fire.

-Left Leg
    -Right Leg
    Light damage to the legs results in decreased movement speed.
    Severe damage to the legs results can result in immobility(and therefore you will bleed to death).

-Chest
    Light and severe damage results in damage to the lungs and bleeding.

-Head
    Light damage results in decreased accuracy.
    Severe damage results in brain damage.

Miscellaneous:
    -Spine
    Spine damage is inflicted by falling, being hit by a vehicle and explossions.
    Light damage results in Slower Reload, Decreased Accuracy and Decreased Movement Speed.
    Severe damage results in paralysis and therefore instant death.

-Brain
    Brain damage is inflicted by gun shots(fatal), explossions and biological weapons.
    Light damage results in blindness and deafness.
    Severe damage and bleeding in the brain results in instant death.

-Lungs
    Lung damage is inflicted by explossions, drowning and chest damage.
    Light damage results in exhaustion(lower stamina bar).
    Severe damage results in choking(until you die), therefore instant death.

Bleeding causes the blood bar to drop. If the blood bar reaches 0 you will die. Blood bar refils slowly(1 each 2 seconds)

Also for body parts there are 3 types of wounds:
    Light - You will start to bleed but it will stop if you stand still. Body parts will slowly heal.
    Medium - Bleeding will not stop, moving makes bleeding worse. And body parts will not heal.
    Severe/Dismembered/Broken - Severe Bleeding(Blood Bar drops realy quickly)

If your Blood Bar drops realy low your screen will slowly turn black and the world slowly starts to fade away, if an engineer will not heal you, you will die.

Drowning underwater will cause damage to the lungs.
    Severe damage to the lungs will cause damage to the brains(no oxygen).

It would be interesting if there where different types of biological and chemical weapons in the future.

Weapons that burn, causing severe bleeding and blindness.
    Chemical weapons, damaging the lungs and causing severe bleeding.
    Different biological weapons, weapons that damage the nervous system, spine, brain, heart or the lungs.

This would make infantry combat a little more dynamic and interesting.

2. ba'al

ba'al Member

Although it sounds good and interesting, this means a complete overhaul of combat and a immense time of coding, which the devs probably cant spare.

3. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

You can basicly do this if you do a few days non-stop coding.

And as said before, coding is NOT a con.

4. ba'al

ba'al Member

Devs are not robots you jackass
    If coding is not a con then do it yourself.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

The amount of coding is not practical for the result. It'd be cool though if you got shot in head like once, you'd have a random effect. For example, it's like throwing a die!

When getting shot in the head, you can die, become deaf, blind, hallucinate, shake, lose your weapons, lose your balance, see colors. This is an amazing idea.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why? Headshots do more damage, why add annoying effects to it as well?

7. spellman23

spellman23 Member

The real issue isn't the code itself, it's the netcode.

Having individual hitboxes for every part of the body can get very tedious for coding and is that much more information that has to be shuffled between the server and the client. Empires already suffers from poor (but getting better) netcode, and the cost of this doesn't seem worth it.

What would be interesting is damage types. You get hit by certain types of weaponry and different things happen. The HUD would also flash an icon of the type of damage you're having. The simplest would be regular damage or burning/radiation damage, i.e. you take damage over time. It's simpler, but since I haven't developed it there's still not enough benefit.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Those things seems more of an annoyance to me.. Just saying.

9. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I always thought it would be cool if every time to cv gets hit, while the comm is in rts view, the display went all "bad rabbit ears tv reception" for a second.
    like it gets screwy wavey lines going through it, and some static effect like before you spawn in DOD:S. this would only last for a second or two but it would force the comm to go back to the cv view to check things out.
    and it would add immersion for the comm.

about the OP: that seems more suited to a single player game where all you gotta do is worry about yourself, not your team and the demands of the comm.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

Because it's totally cool and coding is no limitation!!!! (!!!)

11. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Would be more interesting to see the health bar removed. And add this instead, blood bar, organ damage, body parts, ect.

Would make the infantry ocmbat a little more dynamic.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It'd make it complicated and annoying, when I'm playing all I do or want to do is shoot people, not pick particular parts to shoot unless I'm a sniper (which I won't be because it's getting removed).

I certainly don't have time to aim at bits of the enemy, and if I did I'd aim at the head to kill them faster, otherwise I just shoot them as much as possible, and if that's what I'm doing, they should feel damage, not a bunch of stupid effects that I had no intention of causing.

This is fine if you can and have reason to aim at specific parts to cause specific effects, if players functioned like bosses in R-type, but they don't, you shoot them and they die.

Now a system like this for tanks might be an idea, allowing infantry to shoot specific parts of tanks to disable them so other infantry can sticky them or calculator them, but that's the only possible reason I can imagine for why you'd want something like this.

13. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Whats complicated? You shoot someone and he dies, all this system does is the following.

If you're damaged severely you bleed to death.

Shoot him in the leg and he ends up being immobile.
    Hit him in the chest and he will suffocate(or bleed to death).
    Shoot him in the head and he will die instantly(with some additional effects).
    Hit his arms and he will be unable to fire back(accuracy decrease).

How is this something hard to understand?
    Is the only tactic in this game camp a chokepoint and spray?

Sorry but those effects aren't useless, stop argueing about you not having time to aim because that's just bullshit. If you don't have time to aim you will die anyway.

How is immobility, suffocation, deafness, paralysis, blindness and accuracy decrease something useless?

This system also adds various tactics.

A wounded player will be unable to serve his faction until an engineer heals him/her.
    I could shoot the player and let him bleed to death, but I will not recieve a point for doing so.
    I can shoot the player in his/her arms and legs with my last bullets so he/she will nto be able to chase me.
    I can shoot the player in the chest and make him suffocate or make him/her bleed to death.
    I can shoot him in the head once and make him confused so I can then melee him to save bullets.

Everything that is sugested that takes a little amount of effort, strategy, thinking or a certain tactic is stupid, useless, complicated and annoying according to a majority.

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

coding : gameplay bonus ratio is rather fucked.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would ask to simplify as to keep it a little easier to inplement, easier to understand, and keep the arcade complexity most people like in empires

something as

top (head, shoulders, arms)

torso (belly, back, chest)

bottom (legs + hip)

i would also suggest to have a sort of damage map the same as you have with tanks showing in color code the damage sustained

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  16. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This is extremely stupid. I know I'll get RAEGED for this, but I don't care.
    This means if there is an enemy in our base, and I go to kill him, if he gets 2-3 shots on me, I'm suffering FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.
    I'd end up kill-spawning so as to retain full use of my body; and I'm not the only one.

17. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

very very true.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The point is why would you do any of that when you could just kill the player?

In order to make this at all useful you would need to ration bullets or increase player health, or something else like that, otherwise it's like modelling a perfectly simulated bullet physics and penetration model for a game where everyone is armed with miniguns and fights at ranges of five meters, it simply won't get used.

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This seems unnecessarily complex. And the fact is, in Empires, there usually isn't much gap between 'getting shot at' and 'dead'.

Empires is not a deathmatch game, and doesn't tend to have lots of fancy infantry duels. Nobody puts this much thought into fighting infantry. These things would just be a waste of effort. If you want fancy location-specific damage effects, focus it on tanks, where it matters more.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

best post in this thread so far.

And coding isn't con.

If the coders don't want to code, they don't have to code. Ultimately, it's up to them what gets coded and it's up to them to decide what to code and what not to code and whether they want to put the time into coding something. Coding has nothing to do with the value of a suggestion.