Heading to Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Metal Smith, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

gonna drive through Toronto, Ottawa, and stop in Montreal for a few days this week. Was going to stop by the biodome and a couple other museum ish places in Montreal, as well as explore the restaurants somewhat. I've studied french a little bit in the past, and thought it would be fun to look for people that actually speak it.

So, is there anything worth stopping to see on the way? Touristy stuff? I'll be crossing on US 69 in Sarnia, and heading across.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I'm guessing you're going to be on Highway 7 to get to Ottawa? If you went on the 401 you could visit the little towns on the lake and check out the thousand islands area. I know Norwood is on highway 7, and you're bound to find a bunch more that I can't name.

Seriously, little towns are where the real tourism is at here, most of the architecture dates back 2 centuries. I know euros have thousand year old architecture but that's not the point

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Egypt would love to have a word with you.
    Fuck you for crashing my post that i wanted to end with a "/mandatory euro wank"

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

if your goal in montreal is to speak french with people, be prepared for disapointment. they'll switch to english as soon as you open your mouth

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

And I didn't want to spend a paragraph explaining that Canada is only two centuries old and that Europe and Africa have had civilizations for a long time. :p I'm the anti-europe wanking force

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. Z100000M

No wonder that an american is an anti wank supporter.

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

He could try talking to the STM drivers.

8. Z100000M

Why would you want to talk in french in montreal? Its Quebec area thats all frenchie. It seems like a thing thatan ignorant cunt would do.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Zooom, where is Montreal located?

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Complete and utter failure, lol

11. Z100000M

Sure, but Ive heard like fucking hundred times: "Montreal is not really like the rest, french is a no-no there" Sure, not that any of those sources were 100% dependable, but after hearing it from 4 different ones, I just took that as granted.

Ive also meant the -city and surroundings, but i guess I had a brainfart and forgot the whole region is called that. Oops.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  12. complete_

complete_ lamer

french isnt a no-no. its just a billingual city

13. Z100000M

Again, wrong words. What i was trying to say is : "People from Montreal can speak english just fine, unlike the rest of the blokes, going there and forcefully trying to use french when you know english just fine is a cunty thing to do"

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I don't speak french very well, but I like to listen to the language a bit.

That's just my end destination though. I'm driving across from michigan, so I'll be stopping in a few places on the way.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, Thanks a bunch :D

Looking at the map, my original plan was to take 401 all the way up to ottawa the first night, and test out the cuisine (the food, not hookers). if I messed around traveling on 7, it would probably take roughly 12 hours driving to get there though. might want to stop the first night in petersborough or something.

ahwell. Norwood is just past petersborough, so we'll see how tired I get driving. 12 hours is plenty for one day, and I don't have cruise control. What is the normal speed limit on the normal highway out there?

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

100, people usually go at 110-120, all in KM/h. Peterborough is an ok place, it's essentially a large retirement home with pretty much only one street of worth called Lansdowne and only because that's where the food chains are. I know you're just going there for a hotel but just saying be ready for a boring town.

Quebecois are actually really particular about the fact that they're language is dieing within their own province, so not sure but they'd probably like it. Knowing Quebec history though and how they always try to fend off any "niceness" from the English speakers (like making a flag that didn't have British symbols on it) it might not work. Canada is probably the only place on earth where the Anglos and Franks still harbor colonial era hatred for each other.

16. Z100000M

So, Canadas is using the metric ,huh. Not suprising, but I never though about it. Makes one wonder how does one go from on to another where you've got gallons and miles on one side and liters/kilometer on the other. Canadian cops must havea field day giving speeding tickets.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

We've had Metric since Pierre Trudeau from later 60's/early 70's. Speedometers on cars always have both systems, and it's not really common to be going between the borders here, unlike Europe where you can walk to your neighbour Germoney's house.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

nah not really. some people really like it when you speak in french. they'll still change to english though
    aww shit just got real

19. Z100000M

Really? I though Can and fats were more buddy-buddy than that. Surely candies are not yet concerned about immigration?

Being able to move around freely throughout most of europe rocks though.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Border towns on the US / Canada border are usually on one side or the other. That being said, Canadians either get Rochester, NY or Detroit, MI.

but yeah, most everything in the US has both metric and empiric units. It's just that the empiric measurements are prominent. My speedometer has both mph and kmh. it's just gonna be annoying having to slow down to 120km/h. Usually I travel on the expressways at about 150 km/h :P

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014