Hammer texture browser crash

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Varbles, May 19, 2015.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I've been living with this bug in hammer for a long time, I don't remember exactly when it started but I'm sure it was after steampires came around. What happens is under certain search terms, usually "blend" or "ground" but sometimes other ones that return lots of results, hammer will crash as it's loading the results. The most obvious possibility is a bad vmt or unprocessable file, the problem is it never seems to hang at the same place in the loading list.
    After searching through all the custom content and using the last loaded textures in the list, I got rid of the custom content for emp_noreturn and that actually seemed to work at first in that I could scroll all the way up and down the "blend" search results with no crash except that "ground" still yielded a crash surprisingly while loading the NF vehicle textures. After restarting hammer again I would crash while searching "blend" again so I'm really not sure if it is a bad file after all.

Has anyone else encountered this? With all the custom content that builds up over the years I'm sure everyone's empires directories all look different and it may just be one of those things that are not worth the effort to fix. I have no problem working around it as I know the exact descriptors of all the useful HL2 and empires content but I'm interested to see if this is common issue.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Never encountered it. Then again, I didn't use the texture browser much. As you may have noticed.

3. 101010

101010 Member

whats your hammer mdump look like ?
    Should be in common\Empires\bin