GUI for Defusing Mines

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by PatPeter, Sep 24, 2011.

1. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

It's always annoyed me that mines don't have a defuse GUI like scouts, couldn't it just be copied from scout to defuse and the bar goes faster?

2. Empty

Empty Member

Has been requested multiple times, by myself included.

There still isn't a valid reason for it not to be added.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Was added at one point, but it was bugged, and it was low priority, so it got pushed to the back of the queue. A lot of shit like this we plan to sort for the release after the next one, should we ever get there.

4. PatPeter

Ah, sorry for the new thread then. I couldn't find any with several searches.

5. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Need to start frontloading some of this shit. These small details help a lot with the game's look.

6. hekar

hekar Member

I think PwnedYoAss is right. Mainstream players really like polished games. Sourceforts got a lot more players (went from no players to 3 - 4 full servers at a given time) after the 1.9.4 release. The only changes they made were aesthetically related (with some bugfixes.) No gameplay changes were made.

I also noticed that new players played for a lot longer than they did on Sourceforts 1.9.3 (I'm guessing this was mainly due to the nicer looking artwork.)

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Not even aesthetically pleasing, aesthetically functional would be nice.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You've got to be joking. After 1.9 (or whatever it was 3-4 years ago) when there were 1-2 servers full of competent players it only got worse.

9. PatPeter

I think I can say with some certainty that this would be good for the next version, any developer want to pick it up?

10. Trickster

No. We have more important things to look at. Most of the suggestions floating around, including ones like this which have been in the pipeline for the last 4 years, we plan on looking at in the version after next. Next version will mainly be a bugfix version, with a few things added on that were close to completion anyway.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

sry trickster but this is BS. infact GUI stuff should have been worked on 4 years ago already. also ive read this same exact sentence countless times over the last years ...

edit:
    i mean to say a complete GUI rewrite should be ontop the to-do list (im glad it at least gets some attention now - but in the end its just new stuff ontop again, so im sceptical)
    you cant say something that visualizes gameplay for the end user is unimportant, you can say noone gives a fuck because its a dreadful boring task - thatd be more like the truth ...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  12. PatPeter

I'll meet Trickster halfway, if the next version is for bugfixes, fine. It would be nice, however, to have this in the next version if it isn't too complicated. As someone said and I don't want to get the quote, "just copy over the code from sabotage".

And technically this functionality should have existed from the get-go, so you can consider it a bug.

13. Trickster

And Flasche, when have we ever had a development team that has been together long enough to actually accomplish this, since Krenzo left? The fact is, a GUI rewrite is an incredible amount of work. We're talking about a very decent portion of the game being recreated from the ground up. This would affect every corner of the game. I'm not even saying it will get done for the version after next, I'm simply saying it's something we'd like to do if it was viable. But to be viable requires multiple active coders with a considerable amount of time on their hands. We're talking about 3 months of solid work from 3 coders with absolutely nothing else to do with their time. And on top of that, whilst this is happening, nothing else can be added in. Just consider that for a moment.

The fact is, as I've said repeatedly, the game is at breaking point in terms of bugs right now. The collision bug, the skill bug, custom content not working, maps being broken, scout speed bugs, just to name a few. All of which have been added within the last 18 months, and did not exist prior to that. All of which have to be fixed. The fact is, no matter how simple you think things are, it just isn't that simple. And if we stop to implement just this little thing, what's to say other things aren't more important? There has to be a point where you say "no, it's feature lock time, we need to get a release out". Because realistically, this game hasn't been updated since 2.30 (given we lost 2.31), and it's suffering for it.

The GUI for mine defusing WAS in a test version, just like recycling vehicle carcasses as engineer was too. But it was buggy, and rather than spend ages debugging it, it got shelved to a point when it could be looked at, a point which has never come. After Krenzo was Kylegar, after Kylegar was CoffeeBurrito, after CoffeeBurrito was KaneTW, after KaneTW was Spawwn, after Spawwn was MOOtant, and after MOOtant we reach the present point we're at now, with Beerdude, Jephir and Brutos as our 3 coders, none of whom have a huge amount of time. That's a lot of main coders in the space of about 3 years. It equates roughly to a change about every 6 months, meaning it's been very hard to ever focus on long term stuff.

The fact is, as an example, to dick about with mine defusing now would be code that is wasted when the GUI overhaul gets done. It's not as simple as copying sabotage, albeit that might help. But don't presume to have any idea what you're talking about in regard to the way Empires is coded, because I think every single one of our coders can testify to the fact that anything you ever knew about coding mods goes straight out of the window when you look at Empires code.

So get off your high horse, acting like what you say in every thread should carry more weight than every other person's ideas, and just accept that the best that can be done, is being done, and if we're lucky enough to keep this group of coders together for long enough to accomplish long term goals as opposed to short term ones, then maybe at that point you can start expecting things like this to really start getting knocked off. Anything before then is just out of luck or coder boredom from whatever they're currently working on. All I'm saying is, don't presume that it's a 5 minute job. You have to add something in, test it, tweak it, check it doesn't cause problems elsewhere. Simply adding it in is just the start.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats more like it ... its a burdon, but it would be neccessary - and i dont mean the defuse think in special but a complete overhaul. but tbh, better start building the game from scratch and throw all the half-assed stuff out the window upfront.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

"tbh", it sounds like Trickster and the dev team have their shit together and this suggestion section probably doesn't need to exist.

A couple months ago, I wouldn't've thought I'd ever say that. In fact, I've been just as much of an asshole as flasche.

Sorry for being such a troll, I look forward to seeing what you guys will create. ^^

16. Trickster

Suggestions forum always has a place, because there are always diamonds among the shit. For example, the new minimap arrow for revivers on your minimap, so you can see rev engys near you. We didn't think of that, it got suggested (LordDz I think). I don't mind threads like this, but I do take issue with people acting the way PatPeter has been doing. It's just a bit unpleasant. Especially when it comes to coding. I've known the Emp coders from as far back as Kylegar, every single one of them, and not one of them has ever said anything other than how utterly horrendous the Empires code is. I believe those 8 people who have actually had code access over some guy who seems to think he knows best when he honestly has no idea what he's talking about.

All I'm saying is, give us time, let us just get our own to-do lists sorted, and then we'll look outwards.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Trickster's NEW to-do list

1. Empires
    2. Empires
    3. Lindsay Lohan
    4. Personal Life

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Fixed that for you. :D

19. Trickster

Why Linday Lohan? She hasn't been hot since Mean Girls.

20. PatPeter

Incorrect. How am I 'acting' like my words have more importance than anyone else's? I'm aware of what it is like to work on a coding team: I've worked on several of them. I'm also well aware of what damage a simple change can do (mine caused the build to fail and everyone thought it was their own code that broke it). I know nothing takes five minutes in coding, but I hold to my optimism. If my optimism towards Empires puts me on a 'high horse' compared to the pessimistic views of others, then so be it. I examine everyone's views and opinions equally, weighing them and analyzing which has the most beneficial effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faith