GUI button highlight has wrong size

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

In the team and squad selection windows, as far as I could find.

1. Open any said window
    2. Mouseover any clickable button
    3. The highlighting recktangles are slightly too big on the right

2. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Hmpf, I guess I'm responsible for that - I'll post adjusted resfiles/gfx for that over the weekend.

3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Can you also add some like 1-2px bottom padding to the text inside buttons? I tried to find out myself how to do that, but wasn't very successful.

4. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

The classmenu is using a combined imagepanel/button custom class that didn't provide much customization (and it ignores extra button properties like textinset) - I'll replace them with regular image and button elements, that will allow adjustments.

I remember the font alignment is a bit tricky with different resolutions (esp. for the now proportinal class menu), where the font scales in steps, but the baseline remains at a fixed bottom offset - I'll try to find a good medium.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

In the file "resource/clientscheme.res", under the section "FONTS", you'll find a few "Default" fonts: "Default", "DefaultSmall" and "DefaultVerySmall". I currently don't have access to the code, but the proportional menus use one of these fonts. The parameter "yres" determines the resolutions at which a certain font size is used. I believe I played with the "tall" parameter, which is font size, to get the fonts to play nice with the proportional menus.

6. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

It doesn't have an effect on the font baseline (which is the problem), but might have side effects on other textlabels, so I'd have to add an extra font section just for the class panel - which is the only panel being almost(!) fully proportional and having these scaling issues (see my whining in the testforum).

Attached are the files for the fixed buttons, zip also includes the fixed minimap icons, which have not yet been commited to svn - someone do this please.

An issue remains with the info panel (textwindow.res) : The "Manual" and "Forums" button now lack a spaceing between them:
    infopanel.jpg
    To my delight, I found that their alignment from the .res file is overridden code wise (yay), so I cannot fix those buttons.

Attached Files:

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Committed emp24_vgui_fix2 in svn #1318

Fixed button spacing in 8415f04ab1950058e5a266f0cf6110a18221aaf2

The button spacing is calculated from the screen width and height. I would try to move them to the .res file, but this would require redoing the MOTD panel to be proportional, I think.

8. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Thanks, I could do some experiments to see how much I can do in the .res about button placement without them being repositioned codewise, if it's still needed.

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

What was the fix about the minimap icons?

10. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

The minimap icons for ammo/health/repair requests were some leftovers from the early test version, and they were barely visible on the minimap.
    i.e. the health-request was just a red cross without any outline, and thus invisible on a red (NF) player arrow. Now they have the classic black outline again and can be recognised on the minimap. Also the 3d-repair icon is now less of a white blotch.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ducky, do you think you could make some minimap icons that are easier to decipher for vehicles? Someone brought it up in another thread, and it is a fair point. I'm not really sure what though, but you're far more creative than I am.

12. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I think you mean this?
    Hm, I'll start with doing a distinct APC icon (as Candles said, both icons are using the same graphics), right now I can't image a change that would be an actual improvement (a cluster of floating (and possibly rotated) letters rushing your base seems out of the question). I'd go with a legend under the large popup map, but that would need code support.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah that thread. The APC vs AFV is probably the main one to be honest, but just do whatever you can.