GTA5 PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A-z-K, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

My gpu is a generation old but a tier higher, I only have 6gb of RAM, I've had to install it on my old storage drive but my I7 from way back is still fucking bulletproof.

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Please report back on how the performance is for you and what specs you have. Some people here only fulfill the minimum requirements and aren't sure if they shoud get it. *cough*

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Will do - except the preloader apparently needs to also unpack the 60GB I Downloaded! I assumed they would just release the excryption key and that would be that - so 120GB needed for installation including the temp files.

So I'm just moving my steam\depotcache folder over to my HDD and going to make a junction on my SSD (C) to point to my Steam Limbrary on the HDD (D). Kind of stupid there is no way to select the depot cache location, though you can install games to different disks.

Anyway I've basically got a HP business minitower with a Q6600, 8 GB of DDR2, a 256MB Samsung SSD and a 2GB Saphire that came out around BF3 time. I hate spending cash on tech, I have no idea why as in everything else I'm a massive impulse purchaser. I've got by being able to play the lastest games, sometimes at less than perfect settings by just taking stuff from the office for a decade. My next gaming rig may well be a HP DL360 G7! Though I'm not sure if I can stick a GPU in it.

For anyone else that has trouble preloading on to their SSD due to insufficient disc space to accomodate both the preload files & the unpacking needed afterwards follow this:
    0. Pause & Cancel any existing/failed updates from Steam -> downloads.
    1. Move your steam\depotcache folder from your SSD to your other storage (Hard disk, USB disk, etc)
    2. mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\depotcache" "E:\YourFolderName\depotcache"
    3. You have now freed up the disk space you need - go bakc to steam -> downloads and start the update (unpacking/decrypting) of your game.

Done - the application (Steam) will be blissfully unaware you moved the file. If you browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\" the depotcache folder will appear and have a shortcut type icon, but if you folow it your relative file path will remain the same ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\depotcache") unlike creating a normal shortcut.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  4. McGyver

That's perfect I have basically the same specs and also plan to install it onto an oldfashioned HD. I wonder if that will produce lag while streaming new parts of the map in.

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Okay, played it. The "tutorial" mission ran good and was awesome.
    Then the stuttering came.

And it keeps stuttering when driving vehicles. Like every ~6 sec there is a fps drop and back to normal.
    The filesize of the game after downloading, installing and patching: 60,6 GB

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Game is essentially unplayable for me. I get crashes so bad that I have to shut my PC off. It's happened 3x now and I'm more than likely going to be labelled a "bad sport", which is essentially the same as low-priority in Dota, ruining your online experience. Really upset about it but what little I've found on the issue seems to indicate it just happens and isn't fixable, so gg until they patch, and if they even fix it after that.

7. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

If your pc struggles more than mine then you have a shit pc.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

This fucking 5gb update is a fucking trawersty. Disconnects every 10 seconds, dl speed is abysmal and it DOESNT auto reconnect.

fuck everything

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I just remembered about this, this explains why my Rome 2 download is shite.

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I had no problems, got a pretty solid 30 fps last night on auto-detected settings at 1080p. Occasional drops to about 20 fps with a lot of people on screen.

Felt better than playing on the xBox but not in another league.
    Didn't crash once, loading times were a bit high though but not so bad they really pissed me off.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Wow, I kinda expected that stuff to be ironed out after all of the delays. Releasing a aaa game these days has become a royal pain in the ass.

12. LordDz_2

This fixed the stuttering a little bit, I think.
    [youtube]gXOsrHVmQxg[/youtube]

13. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Why the fuck is this shit a 59GB download? Is there no compression involved here? Titanfall was a 19GB download and uncompressed it was around 50GB.

14. LordDz_2

It has tvshows.
    So you can watch tvshows while playing a computer game.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

1:06 PM - [OG]Wulf the Shafter: if you shower
    1:06 PM - [OG]Wulf the Shafter: you can sing into the microphone
    1:06 PM - [OG]Wulf the Shafter: and get experience
    1:07 PM - [OG]Wulf the Shafter: It's the little things...

16. McGyver

[​IMG]

I hope Sparti will now stop trying to talk me into getting a Pentium G3258.

17. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I know, right? When you're unarmed you can flip people off from the car instead of using a weapon and it agros them...

If anyone does online please add me Social Club ID: 'BigStankDikDad'

18. LordDz_2

19. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Alright so installing from several discs took a little over an hour, & the CD key also gives you a digital download on your Social Club account + the preorder million as well which is nice as I didn't preorder.

As for the games the main issue I'm having is that I'll be driving along and suddenly all the roads and buildings disappear and it takes like 15 seconds for them to load back in again. It does fix it self over time as I was playing for a couple hours last night & I wasn't getting that issue after about playing for an hour. I also noticed that playing custom music will also make the world go all invisible for a bit. Other than that I was able to play online and transfer my character over without any issues.

20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah I've had no trouble (admittedly I'm mising out on max settings) using my pleb tier office PC. I do feel like the SSD might be masking the texture/map pop-in issues people describe but other than it feeling a little wierd on the keyboard and mouse it's been smooth sailing for me in single player and online.

I don't like the whole leveling thing though, I don't really think it needs any kind of character progression besides story/plot.