Grenadier anti-splash armor skill

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SnowDrakE, Sep 17, 2009.

1. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

This is just an idea I am going to throw out there...

...give the Grenadier a skill which cuts down on recieved areaeffect damage by 75%, making him pretty survivable against grenades, cannons, missiles, mortars... pretty much perfect against enemy tanks or indirect fire. Contrary to the Rifleman, it should take up a skill slot, so it's not constantly in effect unless you're willing to sacrifice a slot.

If you think about it, Riflemen get the armor, which gives them better survivability against enemy infantry and machineguns. So why not give the Grenadier some special armor against it's main target (tanks)?

Tanks will be forced to hit the Grenadier directly with the shell or switch to machineguns to kill the Grenadier.

This will also give the Grenadier a slight fighting chance against tanks that are equipped with something like HIT missiles.

Good idea/bad idea?

2. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

Also, this will still enable other infantry to kill Grenadiers with standard weapons easily.

3. o_O

o_O Member

Not a bad idea. Machine guns are equipable on any tank, so its not like it would be hard to counter, but would be fairly useful. In general though I think I would take health upgrade because that works against everything.

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe the gren should just have a resist against every tank weapon instead of against splash damage. That way it wouldn't matter if they got hit dead on or just by splash.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Hey gues wat

5. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Those are so minor that I've never noticed...

6. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

Same here. Also, this looks more like overall damage. I was talking about only splashdamage not direct damage.

7. communism

communism poof

Nahhh... when the gren tank reductions were first implemented it was a hell of a difference.

Also this would be a pretty worth while skill, but it couldn't be too much reduction without being a bit overpowered

8. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

75% reduction comes off as a bit much, but is actually perfect against splash.

A HIT missile does 200 damage according to the tables for example. This is instakill for everything inside the radius. Now... 75% reduction leaves us with 50 damage, which means that 2 HIT missiles will still kill a grenadier if he doesn't have the extra health skill on top of the splasharmor.

Splashdamage is nigh impossible to dodge, so all it does is give you enough time to score about 3 hits on a tank if you're at the recieving end of a shell barrage.

But it will still not protect you at all from machineguns or the odd properly aimed shell that connects directly with your forehead.

Currently tank drivers don't have to care at all what kinda weapon they're using against infantry, so most go with the easy option and simply use cannons... they don't bother to switch to mgs because they don't have to.

Think about it.

9. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

I think this is a good idea, splash damage resistence would encourage people to have to master the grenadier 'dance' and through this be able to survive. It gives the grenedier the ability to survive long enough under tank fire to scare tanks enough if they aren't supported by their own infantry. I think this greatly would add to realism: infantry and tanks need to push up together and with varied classes and weapon loadouts to be effective.

10. Empty

Empty Member

I'm sick of getting pwnt by BE's STD cannons.

11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I kind of dislike it. I would rather massively buff RPG damage (and possibly heat inflicted) instead, so grens are good from an ambush... and have better, more intricate levels that make ambushes more likely, not just "big flat open area with no cover" and "big obvious chokepoint."

I don't think grens should be able to soak up tank damage once the tank starts aiming at them; instead, they should have enough power to take out a tank before it has time to start properly shooting at them. They should play like insurgents, not superman.

I mean, a bit more resist wouldn't kill the game, but it wouldn't really help them a huge amount, either -- the amount of resist necessary to avoid getting pwnt by cannons would be too high. It would be better to give grens enough power to let them pwn tanks first, rather than having them both be super-tough and trading shots until one dies.

12. mrmeow

mrmeow Member

i love this idea alot!!

13. o_O

o_O Member

It takes maybe a second to see you have gotten shot and shoot back. That would basically require grens to instagib tanks.

But yea I definatly agree the grens inability to really deal much damage to tanks is the bigger problem.

14. communism

communism poof

Hmmm this would be kind of fun to test. At the very least it would require tanks to equip MG's to kill infantry

15. SnowDrakE

SnowDrakE Member

The poor damage aside, I don't see grenadiers with this armor soak up all the tank damage. There are some machineguns available on tanks that can shred you in a second. If you're scared of grenadiers, spend some more weight on the mg weapon system.

16. Empty

Empty Member

I fight grenadiers with treads. I don't waste ammo on flies.