Google SketchUp! FORGET PAINT!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MrBojangl3s, Jul 5, 2006.

1. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

This is the greatest program in my huge collection of free, fun stuff on the internet ever. This is what I've been looking for all my life as an easy and free way to express my ideas in a simple to use CAD interface. Want to make a cube? Draw a square, and drag a side outwards; bam now it's 3d. Want to give the cube a slant, into a pyramid? Use the move tool and drag an edge on the cube downwards!

Go here for more information:http://sketchup.google.com/product_3dwh.html

Also, you can import buildings made officially or by other SketchUp users, just look at all the models you can use! It's all in a Google-esque interface called the "3D Warehouse":
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=Signature+Buildings&ctyp=&btnG=Search+3D+Warehouse

It also integrates seamlessly into Google Earth, for making your own models for the world, or grabbing old ones and editing them! Add a new skyscraper into New York city and look at it in scale!

Sorry to make it sound like an advertisement, but guys, this is the easiest way to submit ideas for new stuff! Map makers, if you wanna throw out a general idea for a building or a custom entity, draw it with this!
    The only thing is that it can get complicated if you try and build something like a person or maybe even a vehicle depending on the details needed. But it's great for just buidlings!

Check out some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note: None of the pictures were edited, anything you see was made in SketchUp, even the "Empires Rules!" text :D
    Also, the SW stuff and the 2D girls are from 3D Warehouse, only the buildings I did.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

cool, i dont have paint so now i have something i can actually use.

3. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

You running Linux/Mac? It's available for Mac at least I think so.... and of course it's also free for both OS's cuz' it's Google :D

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

nope, xp. i reformated and loaded up the OS from a cd and didnt save pain before i formatted.

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

You can't make maps using this program, sorry Lobster :( If you could, I would already have like 2 maps out and I would be using the program like crazy...I love designing things for games (Starcraft Xtra Editor FTW!).

You need to use the Source SDK kit for that I'm afraid.
    But that doesn't mean it's pointless! You can easily illustrate ideas to map makers for something to put in their map, and they can make it in hammer no sweat!

6. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Yes, you can illustrate, but not export. :( Nice toy, but sadly useless and as far as I know the "good" version of that costs some $800.

7. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

That's exactly the reason to have the free version.

1. People like me don't know how to use hammer.
    2. We like easy to use GUI's. AKA not hammer.
    3. We like free.
    4. We want free.

8. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Now, MrBojangl3s, please explain me, why your first post on this thread is empty?

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

MrBojangl3s, you clearly haven't used any modeling program before, if you think that Hammer is hard to use(or a mapping program(QarK,Quest,Radiant,etc.) for that matter). Hammer is one of the easier to use mapping programs out there. :) Try some old version of Blender and you'll know what hard to use is. :D

[blender plug]Blender is completely free and small(around 10MB download), yet very capable modeling program. Very fast to use once you learn your way around its UI. Download it form here. And from here you can learn the stuff you need to know when you want something exported for HL2/Empires.[/blender plug]

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

First, Tom, what are you talking about? From my end (and I'm assuming everyone else's) I can see my post with pictures and text etc.

Wereaser, I've used a diffrent modleing program before. And yes it was way easier, albeit a trial. Google "DOGA CGA" and get a trial from there (It's a Japenese company, so it may be poorly translated). You can make models, combine them, make animations, and render complete movies with one program (With 3 diffrent levels of difficulty).

As for mapping, I've only used RTS map editors, like the Starcracft Xtra Editor or C&C Generals: Zero Hour World Builder. However, in this field, you're right, I haven't use a COMPLICATED 3D engine-based modeling/mapping program.

And also, if all I wanted to do was easily and quickly express an idea, maybe to a map designer, would I go open up the ole' SDK? Plus, this should maybe stop those really confusing paint designs, at least for stuff like halbadalor's Dam in his map, or like a bridge. You can still use Paint for the minimap look...

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

If I want to quickly express my idea, I'll take a pen and paper or my graphire tablet. :p

I've been also using those RTS editors, they work like a kiddies sandbox. You take some sand and put it here and there and then you throw in the toys. :D

People go ahead and utilize this and show the community mappers what you're really meaning! <-- that sentence is adverticing for sketch up! or ketshup I don't know anymore...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

well he is kinda right about its better to make your map in ketchup than to do it in mspaint

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

That's all I'm really trying to say, I never once said this was a map editor. I think you mis-understood the program, without trying it :(

And yes, those RTS editors are like sandboxes. That's why they are easy :D
    Finally, S-k-e-t-c-h-U-p

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

dont knock it mate this is for the easy visualisation, communication and discussion of ideas not for serious design of anything.

15. Darg

Darg Member

You should probably try using Blender. It's like second nature when it comes to modelling for me. And of course you can export models to Halflife :)

16. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I just said, this IS NOT FOR MODLEING. Holy crap! Did anyone not read more info or just plain read what I wrote? ^^;

When I say "Forget Paint" that means it's an easy way to express an idea, without drawing a cruddy, confusing paint picture.

If you were referring to my post about DOGA CGA Darg, I'm pretty sure I can already tell you that DOGA CGA is easier then Blender :D

17. Darg

Darg Member

I've never used DOGA CGA. Personally I am so used to Blender that no other modelling program will ever come close to being as easy to use to me as blender is.

Blender can also render images whereas the gallery for DOGA seems to be more like flat-shaded models with some odd shadows here and there.

For an example of blenders work just look at the online gallery:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Gallery.55.0.html

Not bad for an entirely free program with a download of under 10mb and a constant stream of updates from the open source community.

As you can tell I love blender and I try to plug it whenever I get a chance :)

18. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:p I already advertised it on the first page. :) I remember getting pissed off at someone who told me that it was "watered down" modeler.

19. Darg

Darg Member

woops.. missed that Wereaser. Good to see another blenderhead on the forums here :)

Do you have any examples of your work lying around? I'm always interested in seeing other peoples blender renders.

20. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I'm going to try Blender. Until then, my opinion that dragging a model into the workspace, and then just rendering it is the easiest thing of all time remains the same.

You probably weren't looking at the Japenese Gallery. Check here (long URL because it's translated)
    http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli...dogal_gallery/gallery.cgi&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
    If you think some sounds/textures are bland, everything on that page is under 10 Mb.

EDIT: LOL, I can't believe you think Blender is easier then DOGA...Blender may be more powerful, but that comes at a tradeoff. However, you could say that about all things, like Hammer is probably one of the best tools in the SDK, but it's not like a baby's toy.
    Lvl 1 of DOGA CGA is free, but the more advanced (and more useful) levels are trials, without being able to render until you purchase it.
    Here's a download of DOGA Lvl 3: http://www.doga.co.jp/english/english_t/products/L3.html

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006