Google News > Stock Market

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Goose, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Goose

Goose Member

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Happened on monday, they initially lost ~3.4 Billion I think, but thankfully their stock rebounded. I hope they sue google for damages....this isn't the first time Google has tanked a company's stocks by releasing bad/old news - but this is by far the worst case.

3. Goose

Goose Member

Yeah to Googles' defense though, It was bloomberg who didn't do the research and wrote the online article about it prompting the massive sell. Thats what made this so historical, no one actually read the article. Shows how misleading titles can be.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Google was the catalyst, and like I said, not the first time. THey need to put more limits on their news bot, dammit.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lets see how many google staff families bought stocks that day

a powerful company indeed, even if it falls into the wrong hands

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

That's like saying guns need IFF because otherwise I might use it to kill someone I don't like.

"Hey, I didn't like him, but the gun was the catalyst! /sue lol"

7. Chahk

Chahk Member

Exactly. This borderlines utter retardedness. Let me recap:

1. Someone browses an old article on a lowly news site during low traffic time and THAT SITE bumps it to their "most popular" list.
    2. Googlebot sweeps the site and picks up that article from their "popular" list.
    3. Some moron in an investment firm reads the article on Google, and without verifying the date or content posts a summary on Bloomberg.
    4. Thousands of investors now see the summary on Bloomberg site.
    5. In a mass-act of freak-out, hysteria and general stupidity they panic.
    6. ...
    7. Everyone wants to sue the guy with the deepest pockets.

How about they sue the morons that didn't realize the article was 6 years old? In other words, go sue yourself!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Google passed it off as "current" news, hence they are at fault, as much as every other idiot who believed it.

Google is the root cause, your analogy is rather poor Beerdude. Google themselves pulled the trigger.

I imagine the SEC investigation will amount to nothing, other than "countOfCompaniesGoogleHasDoneThisTo++", unless google employees did buy UA stock, at which point they (the employees) are in for a nice surprise.

Furthermore, what about the people who didn't sell their stocks, and ended the day having lost money? They didn't do anything wrong, and suffered.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

How is it a poor analogy?
    Google: Tool
    Weapon: Tool

Users: User (lol)
    Wielder: User

The user can use the tool for various uses. Does this mean the tool is at fault? I don't really understand why. If a stock broker uses Google to decide that he should send out a message that creates mass panic, then in my opinion, the stock broker is at fault. You can't blame Google for not producing 100%-perfect articles all the time, so don't expect Google to.

Yeah ok but if the page itself has no reference to a date (or a wrong date for that matter), then you can't really blame the coders.

Here's a continuation of this story:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tribune11-2008sep11,0,2191367.story

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Internet, serious business.