Gmod + Empires + NPCs = Epic trailer of doom

Discussion in 'General' started by picard131, Jul 5, 2007.

1. picard131

picard131 Member

I was fooling around with Gmod the other day, spawning waves of NPCs then blowing them up with nukes, the usual stuff. I had just installed a minimod that changes the Combine NPCs from their usual evil selves to Counterstrike models, complete with animations. Then I began to think: If that wasn't so hard to make, what's stopping us from taking the Empires infantry models and replacing the rebels/Combine with THEM! Not only would it be insanely cool, we could finally get glimpses of some of the huge battles that the Empires universe was made for, maybe for use in offical game trailers. I know that the sight of dozens of Brenodi and NFs duking it out on District would make ME want to play. So, there's my suggestion I'm throwing out there. Anyone here that knows how to do something like that? That is, replace the combine models and animations with BE models/anims, and the same for rebels and NF.

NOTE: If someone actually did this, I would worship them as if they were a god.

2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

anyone willing to record it? you would need a good PC to handle that many 'players' on screen on your PC.

3. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I browsed around gmod9 files, and found a way to spawn any npc with any model. Now, someone needs to code some empires SWEPs. And then we have to make the spawned NPCs use the SWEPs.

4. picard131

picard131 Member

Well, all we'd have to do is replace the HL2 w_models (the ones visible to other people) with Empires w_models. I'd be more than willing to simply replace them on my copy, since my gmod 9 is already modded to hell. I'd also be glad to record them with a few instructions as what and how I should do it, as I've got the full version of FRAPS.

EDIT: Well, I've put the BEAR in for the shotgun for time being (can't find the AR2 models), and the NF SMG 1 for the HL2 SMG. Both work properly, but don't fire when NPCs use them. This, I'm sure, is due to the unholy nature of my change-filename-and-paste-into-directory ways.

5. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Models hate being renamed and moved to different folders.
    Also, you didn't need to PM me to ask about something that you already have a thread for (let other people benefit from this discussion.)

You can do this by creating a file in your gmod9\settings\entities folder that looks like this:
    Code:
    // These files are server side
    // Changes to these files will only effect a server that you create

"Jeep"
    {

// The classname of the entity you're going to spawn.

"classname"			"prop_vehicle_jeep"

// the type of entity - this is for the server limit stuff.. and if you don't set it
    	// player will be able to spawn an unlimited amount of these on your server!
    	// Valid values are "vehicle", "prop", "ragdoll" or "effect"

"type"				"vehicle"

// These are any keyvalues that you can assign to an entity normally
    	"keyvalues"
    	{
    		"model"				"models/buggy.mdl"
    		"vehiclescript"		"scripts/vehicles/jeep_test.txt"
    		"solid"				"6"
    	}
    }
    change the classname to the entity name of the NPC you wish to spawn, and modify the keyvalues as you would in hammer to assign any model you want. Then you would have to add it to your spawn menu by adding a line like this:
    Code:
    	"=Name of spawnable item here"		"nameoftextfilewithnoextension"
    All of the above is in theory, and I have not actually tried it out.

6. picard131

picard131 Member

Ah. Good tips, I'll try them.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Someone else already made an Empires SWEP. Ask ^Dee^.

8. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Actually...
    how to get the empires-stuff into gmod? o-O

9. MadDevil

MadDevil Member

I have a Very nice computer, it can handle 10 Nukes going off around the same amount of time when I have full GFX on, and I have a Full Version of Fraps to record, and Proper Video Editing software.

I also have Gmod10 :D
    I could make the video for you guys and everything, and since it's all the same engine... It shouldn't be too hard to convert the maps and models etc would it?
    For someone skilled in that area, which I'am not.
    So it's like, give me the raw resources and I'll make the Product for you :D

10. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

the empires thing I have only works with gmod 9 I believe.

11. picard131

picard131 Member

I can put the empires char models as NPC models, I can put the Empires weapon models as weapon models, but the guns do not fire and the NPCs are not animated. I'm SOL, it seems.

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Correction. Their guns do fire, but they cant seem to reload, making them stop firing permanently.

13. picard131

picard131 Member

Well, we could solve that with 999 round clips. They fire them in bursts anyways.

14. nadanova

nadanova Member

I want that pack for Gmod 10!!!

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

I guess I better get working on it.

16. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007