Global Banlist

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Evan, May 3, 2008.

1. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

OK. I guess I'll take on the global banlist file. It will not be a plugin, but a maintained updated bans.cfg file if I do it.

Anyone interested in helping?

Anyway I can get moderator status on the bans forum? If not, we can create a separate forum for it.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What the mod has to do with your banlist?

3. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

It is easier and quicker to update a banlist than to hardcode ban cheaters

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

note the words "global banlist".. eg a banlist that is going to be used by all server admins (servers = empires) and includes all people known for ruining the game (gameplay = empiresmod)

oh and yes I do have a bad day, and no I don't want to sound like I do...

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Agreed. Srcds has a ban feature builtin - why complicate things with hardcode bans?

6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Ok a few coders have IMed me to help. We can get it working pretty quickly.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

PR, the guys that decide things internally.

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

:) Would you like us not to do it?

9. dizzyone

yes, I would like you to not involve this with anything empiresmod.

10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

K. Well the plan is to make it a plugin.

The plugin will be endorsed by Empires League and available for download by server admins. Not officially empiresmod then.

11. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Though I don't understand why empiresmod wouldn't want this:
    -Much easier than hardcode bans
    -Dynamic
    -Easy to create
    -Optional on a server to server basis

Is it just because I'm heading it up? If M00tant has proposed to do it would it be pushed through?

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  12. dizzyone

Well I personally believe that you see this "new development," which in reality is a huge set back for empiresmod, as an opportunity to push your ideas and influence into the game, without making concessions, everyone here has to make concessions, but you do not seem to want to make any.

I don't want to discuss things with you endlessly. you do not seem to acknowledge the arguments against having a semi-official ban list, so why should we acknowledge your persistance on something that is a non issue.

Go ahead, I don't give a shit.

13. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I do acknowledge the arguments against having a semi-official ban list, but the fact that it will be optional nullifies them all.

And I'm not sorry for seeing the "new development" in an optimistic light. The "old development" was chronically plagued by understaffing and there are plenty of people stepping up now. That's something to be happy about. Obviously it will take time for everyone (coders, graphics, etc) to get up to speed, but it's a breath of new life.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  14. dizzyone

It's a utopian vision I do not share, this is no longer about the ban list, it's about your commitment. It might be optional, but in the path we're taking we're going to need 30 hours in a 24 hour day, we don't have the time, you might have the time, but in this case it's time spent badly, if its a matter of thinking this is a better way to spend that time, then sure go ahead, whatever, I don't give a shit.

Banning people is no ones concern, making a ban list that is in your view optional, but your involvement with Empiresmod says otherwise. Sure a ban list could be a good thing if done right, with the right person, but if Mootant tells you he doesn't think its a good idea, if Krenzo doesn't think it's important or needed, you should respect this and drop it; who are you doing it for anyway?

15. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Krenzo obviously thinks it is necessary because he started hardcode banning people. Will a new version of the game come out everytime a global cheater is identified?

You and I both realize there isn't much if anything for PR to do inbetween releases without access to the means to officially update the community :)

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

I think hardcode bans are mostly for legendary assholes like SGT MIKE and the chopper guys, and other folks like general l33t.

17. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

That's all the global ban list is for. It is NOT for run of the mill "he called our clan a turd" offenders. Servers would maintain their own banlists for those people.

18. arklansman

arklansman Member

The point is that there aren't really enough people that deserve supermegauberban and those that do can be quickly taken care of by the coder.

19. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

But:
    -It isn't hard to do
    -I'm willing to do it
    -Makes it easier on future coders

20. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

server admins are dictators of their OWN server.

The reason why there is such a thing as a hardcode ban is because a few select(less than a handful) of players are only here to grief like cunts. hardcode bans take time, and require proper judgement because that person will literally be screwed, and the coders need to be sure.

If you bring something like this along, where it's super easy to get a global ban on all servers, then you lose a lot of that hesitation you would have normally been given with hardcode bans.

Coders are meant to code and make the game work. Server owners are meant to moderate their own shit. The only reason I could see a server admin asking for a global ban list is if they couldn't moderate on their own.