Getting rid of tickets on Commander Maps?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by DrummerX, Apr 30, 2010.

?

Unlimited tickets on Commander Maps?

Poll closed May 21, 2010.
  1. Yes, make the tickets unlimited

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No, leave it as it is!

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. Other option, option posted in post

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Qwert

Qwert Member

I say on com maps, do three things:
    • Allow delayed spawning at 0 tickets.
    • Implement a slow bleed that stops at 0 tickets.
    • Make this bleed equal on both teams.

Why like this?
    • Removes the unfun/forced revives of 0 tickets
    • Forces and end to games via the already implemented CV Sudden Death
    • Still penalizes teams who waste tickets.
    • Prevents recycle the rax at 1 ticket shenanigans.
    • Encourages winning teams to push at loow ticket values, since CVSD will happen regardless.
    • Gives loosing teams a chance to fight overwhelming forces by blowing through tickets and CVSD.

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Compromise:
    . Double or triple the amount of tickets on open maps.
    .Leave the tickets on chokepoint maps and conquest maps.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Should vary by server size.

But for example on a 48 player server I would say 250 tickets on choke point maps like slaughtered and maybe 400 for open maps like duststorm or mvalley.

Flag maps should always be ticket bleed. Set a bleed time of around 30/45 min matches

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Seeing as my previous response was pretty much "ur gay", then I should probably do a proper response.

Firstly, if a team is losing on refs massively and they're hemmed in, then what keeps them fighting, what keeps them playing the game rather than just giving up, is often a ticket win. Not just because the enemy will stop spawning and they can push out, but because it means they can try a riskier tactic to push out, such as an APC rush.

Having refineries bleed will, much like Ounin said, massively increase the Slippery slope problem. And no both team comms are going to recycle their refs, because after a while one CV will drive up to a ref, build it and win the game out of boredom.

As much as I dislike tickets, at the very least they lead to sudden death, which is a quick and easy way of ending the game. But sadly, this isn't the case most of the time because comms will recycle all the raxes and restrict vehicle building to prevent APCs. A solution is to make it impossible to recycle the last spawn. Sure, there are occasions where recycling your only rax to rush forward quicker is a better option, but those tactics are rare and on top of that, usually go wrong (See Cpatton in the empires pugs on Duststorm.). And even if they don't, it's not worth leaving a retarded gameplay element in for the rare occasion someone uses that tactic.

I dislike tickets because they promote conservative play, which is just stupid in many ways. But there are ways around it. For example, rather than having a respawn timer, have it based on the distance away from the rax you're spawning at and how many people are trying to spawn there. Teams which are hemmed in can revive and probably won't need to use the barracks much, and even then they'll respawn quicker. Teams which are attacking this hemmed in team may not have a close rax/apc, and even if they do it's going to be getting clusterfucked from people respawning. There are obviously exceptions to this rule but not that many. Most of the time it'll help the losing team without specifically penalising the winning team.

This was just an idea I had literally whilst making this post, so I just wrote it as I thought it. There are probably issues with it but it'd surely be a better option than bleed (unsatisfying victory, slippery slope) or gigantic long stalemates.

Also, where is my script_manifest?

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You should always have the ability to spawn and the spawn penalty should be directly proportional to the amount of refs you have (so many refs = high spawn penalty).

- Alters slippery slope so winning team needs to be a bit more careful when expanding
    - Players can still spawn during 0 tickets or sudden death (the provided solution of preventing recycling the last barracks simply seems like an anti-griefing solution with sudden death occuring faster as a side effect)

6. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

This is the worst idea ever. A majority of games are decided by the comm dying.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

sry beerdude, but i fail to get why the team with the financial advantage (refs) should be penalized with lesser forces (~longer spawn time). where is ounin, i need someone yelling "unimaginative" ;)

tickets and especially sudden death suck big time, face it - tickets ruin epic games, tickets mainly promote the winning team, tickets cause more stale gameplay than they intend to solve.
    and to all those who argue, "but it will stalemate over and over", this is possible as it is and my proposal for a change actually considers it.

before i agree to any of the shitty ideas in this thread, id rather leave everything as it is - good for you i dont have much to say :cry:

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

at 0 tickets a 20 second reinforcement timer loops, so that when people die they wait for the reinforcement time to stop, and it sucks if the reinforcement timer goes back to 20.

9. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

My idea would be similar with more tickets, a faster, linear bleed after X minutes into the game (stops at zero tickets), but still require tickets to spawn. This will still satisfy the benefits you posted (except revive, which I think is an important strategic part of the game).

The problem with delay spawning at 0 tickets is that it will encourage conservative play later in the game (thus stalemates). No one wants to wait longer to spawn, so players will be careful after the tickets reached zero. Because you can still spawn, there will always be people holding the front lines.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Ugh, tickets are fine, don't fix something that isn't fucking broken.
    Maps would be unplayable w/o tickets, and the only reason why there is trouble with tickets is because a retardedly limited amount of teamwork is needed for squad revs.

11. flasche

have you played with my proposed respawn system, hexi?
    no?
    how you know then ...

12. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

If you removed the tickets game play could potently last for hours, infinite stalemate….

13. flasche

im too lazy to write it again, so i fixed my previous post :D

14. Beerdude26

Because at the moment, a team that manages to gain and hold the upper hand for a relatively short time span will gain such an advantage that the other team will quickly be obliterated. I know you've played one of those games where you just fight against an invisible wall created by unbalanced teams or sheer luck for an hour and then suddenly they rush with far superior tech and everybody dies.

But you're correct in stating that a team with a financial advantage should not have less tickets, it is a bit of silly idea, now that I think about, to sacrifice fun for this kind of balance. A diminishing return on refineries would work just as well to prevent these kinds of steamrolls.

15. flasche

uhm that would lead to the idea of upkeep (for each and everything - so team size, buildings, vehicles - which im in favor for), wouldnt it?

waiting for pickled to flame me now (he just wrote how stupid this would be :rolleyes:)

16. Beerdude26

Not exactly, my definition of upkeep is paying for units you currently have on the battlefield, which leads to an implicit limit on the amount (and type) of units you can have at any given moment without your entire economy crashing down.

I'd rather you don't have upkeep as it effectively limits the amount of fun a player can have. Imagine not being able to build that awesome dual rail heavy because otherwise the upkeep would start strangling your team. I would rather prevent getting a lot more resources than the other team does, which means that a team that has the majority of all refineries doesn't have a gigantic advantage as they do now.

Granted, at the moment the player multipliers and fixed refinery scaling make it so each team usually wallows in cash, but it's still very noticeable when that cash reserve drains up and your refineries have to start proving their worth.

17. flasche

imo it depends on where you cap the upkeep. it doesnt mean you magially lose the money you piled up before ...

what you described before (the magic wall, lategame heavy rush), especially for such situations upkeep would help the losing team much, as (depending on the max upkeep percentage) the team that rush heavies would only gain very little income during that time ...

idk tho, its something that needs testing aswell. you just cannot extrapolate from starcraft or warcraft as empires is neither of those games ...

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  18. De_Ghost

De_Ghost Member

Ticket are both good and bad :o
    the only reason we lose player is because at 0 ticket ppl can't spawn/revived by squad leader, and noobs try to join squad revive but they newer spawned so don't have a class and can't play.

i say at 0 ticket there is a time delayed spawn, so the team spawn a person every 5 second, on a 62 man server if 10 ppl die that's a whole min that's sitting there, which is a long time in game world.
    we want ppl to play, who cares if the match is lasting long.
    if it's gonna end, it's gonna end. if not let it be. long game have their own draws.

also some game i've seen at late game the loosing team get more vet, but the other team was rolling out better tanks.
    if we have unlimited tickets, we can do inf vs tanks and actually push out :o.
    the really problem is apc are too durable.

it should never been made to go combat.
    nerf it's hp/armor or weight, and all it's problem will go away.

19. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I didn't say that your idea was bad, per se, I just said that atm there's no pressing need to implement it because the current system gets things done fine.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tbh that's even worse... you should keep an analistic view for the weakest points of game play at all time

and in my eye tickets is somewhere at the bottom of weakest points