Get rid of the text spam for commander targets

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by o_O, Aug 28, 2010.

1. o_O

o_O Member

emp_recruit 1 has killed a target, 13 to go
    emp_recruit 6 has killed a target, 3 to go
    emp_recruit 4 has killed a target, 8 to go
    emp_recruit 7 has killed a target, 11 to go
    emp_recruit 1 has killed another target, 12 to go

Why does the commanders text box need to be filled up with that? It might be a good idea in a 6v6 testing match, but in a real game its just annoying and makes it hard for the comm to read text, which is already full of chat and happy faces and ref requests.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Agreed.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

it should be a part of the UI, separate from the chat

4. Trickster

It shouldn't be part of anything. The information is totally unimportant.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I have already collected these messages:
    Maybe this will help the developers to clean them up.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

Well, they may be useless in that form, but they could be consolidated into useful information, such as the current number of targets floating around.

7. Trickster

All of those are useful. I especially can't believe that you're saying that "someone needs ammo/medic/repair" isn't important.

The only one that isn't needed is the commander spam. Chat spam to the player isn't an issue. Seriously, I don't know what the fuck you're playing at SIP, but most of us use them pretty frequently. The only one we don't need, is for players killing enemies that have been targeted, dumping into chat. That's it. The rest should stay.

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Do you really think that someone reads in the chat that someone else needs a medic and then go out and search this person?
    You get a voice message and the person has an overhead icon. The chat message is unnecessary.

9. Trickster

If I notice someone say it, and I know they're in my vicinity, I'll go look for them.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I look at the chat a lot, especially if I have music on. I'm not the only one playing with music on. So chat helps.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah I have music on prolly 70% of the time. Knowing that spammed targets are dead isn't necessary but maybe on single targets.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I always have music on while playing too, and it is useful for an artillery driver to know that someone has said "Requesting artillery support on this target" and scouts get points for spotting and having it destroyed.

There is a lot of commander space not used up, maybe it could have a section saying "Targets remaining : XX" and "Alive Teammates remaining : XX", so you can get a not so specific idea of who put their team's numbers down, you can just see how much of the targets are remaining. Also maybe "Untargeted enemies : XX".

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

except when I am a scout I will sometimes use the request arty spam on target to keep track of a tank or person because it stays MUCH longer then target spotted command. I use that most often when I see a tank driving in the direction of our main base.