Gates for walls

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ViroMan, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Gates for access control of tight areas. With the resistances/health of 2 walls. 1.5 wall segment length X 2 wall width would be perfect size.

It would be nice if they were auto gates as well. Friendly vehicles bump against them and the gate lowers to allow tanks to pass through. This avoids them accidentally opening if you get close to them while defending and the silliness of getting out of the tank to open the gate.

Now that we have a great modeler this could be whipped up in a short time considering the excellent work in detail on guns in short time.

2. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I think this is a good idea, so long as gates are expensive, and scouts can cause them to open.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Ehhhhh. What's wrong with complicated turret and wall mazes?

Seriously though, I don't mind the idea but most maps are so open it's hard for someone to effectively use this. I mean if walls ended up cheaper like I want in the thread I made, then yeah it wouldn't be too hard to close off sections. Also sounds kinda nice because it would kinda prevent, or at least really slow down, scouts sneaking around with hide.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Walls placement is so buggy that I dont know if adding another quirk to them is really viable.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

scouts should be able to climb walls ok bye

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, something like being able to upgrade a fully built wall into a gate would probably work a tad better. That way you don't have to deal with funky building placement, it would seamlessly line up with your other walls, and a full wall segment is wide enough for a vehicle to pass through.

7. ViroMan

That could be awesome. Com selects gate then has to drop it over an already dropped stretch of connected walls.

8. ViroMan

any input from our dev team?

9. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

this is a great idea! maybe make walls.. a little stronger while you are at it, or maybe.. engineer deconstruct isn't as powerful.. prolly should happen anyway now that I think of it

its always been silly to watch engineers break down walls so damn fast.. like whats the point of walls at that point? I get nukes doing that, but nothing else hurts walls as fast. and walls are cool, they create that whole reason of playing "empires" aka building walls and shit so fun,

walls OP then? maybe not, that's what arty and gren feed back is all about, which is totally ignored sadly cause it is totally cool, then that becomes op i'm sure, so then gate opens and bam... no more sitting behind walls which...

I will create a different post for the next concept

I like deconstructing walls just like the next guy but.. is it cheap the game lets me do it from my calculator? wouldn't I need a sachel charge for that?:pathetic: and many of them only available at the barracks?:skull:

10. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I think the point of the calculator doing it is it means you have to get out of your tank, and it makes you vulnerable. Also, If we added a satchel charge, we'd need someone to model it.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It'd be awesome if we had a satchel charge instead of 9mines. /derail

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

+ also maybe give the comm ability to limit height of walls btw?

Stairs ftw

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I still think e-repair should be in, as well as e-decon, probably. It's not really a gamble at this point.

14. ViroMan

Why e-decon!? just bash the damn thing with melee. Seriously though... if you run into it with your tank and your tank takes damage... the fucking wall should too.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I stand corrected. Though melee working on buildings would be kinda hilarious.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's not a bad idea, but I have a hunch that it would be hell to implement.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Unless were talking about the ability for com to place walls that are more built by using more res, stairs can just be made by having it spawn like 4 segments of walls built at set %. It would look somewhat retarded on the build list though. Id be more worried for it being completely useless because of buggy placement disallowing its use everywhere youd like it to work.

18. Neoony

Neoony Member

I guess it could be made as a new building, however having the ability to just set maximum % (height) of each wall you place would allow much more freedom not only for stairs.

Although I guess it could be easier to just make a new building type, instead of coding in the wall limit and then making the changes to gui.

Might be easier way, but not the better way.
    Also buggy as you said.

I was rather talking about when placing walls down, there should be a selector of the maximum height. So that you choose some X ammount of % and then you will just keep placing those kind of walls until you change it. Nobody could build them higher than that ammount.

Bunkers anyone?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  19. ViroMan

or... you know.. com selects the walls he just dropped and uses a slide bar to set the max height.

20. Neoony

Neoony Member

I thought there might be a small problem with that, when a wall is already fully built. Just more stuff needed to take care of.

I did thought of that option as well, but it seemed the less effective one at first look.

Its also easier to just place already limited walls, than having to select them.

We can also have both options xD