Gaming PC - any advice ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustGoFly, Apr 12, 2013.

1. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

And sometimes the amount of VRAM.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Oh god. So which company would be most bang for buck on Nvidia cards?

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Probably evga... I see a lot of cards from them at low prices while not taking too much out.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If you're serious, then go read a round up for a particular card to learn about which cooler is used in b each card and what not. For example, XFX's double d cards are supposed to have Kick-Ass coolers, but once you jump down to a 660 (or something, I forget), the cooler becomes more mediocre.

In the end, just like most things, it's all about learning. Make sure every decision is an educated decision.

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Find a GPU you like (performance and pricerange), then check reviews for different cards that have exatly that GPU, sometimes the stock Nvidia coolers are better then all the other shit that Brands put on instead of it.

I like the stock Nvidia cooler on my EVGA GTX 560 TI, but outcome varies with every GPU.

6. ImSpartacus

Does that have a blower or an open air cooler?

I think many stock coolers tend to be blowers, but I don't know about the 560 Ti.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

That's not a good question if you are looking for a new graphics card.

First, what is the resolution you want to play at? 1080p?
    2) Then you should give us the budget you have for the card.
    3) How important are noise and energy consumption for you?
    4) After that we can finally make a recommendation.

5) The recommendation is: a MSI 760 with Twin Frozr Cooling

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I run at 1600x900,
    I'll probs spend no more than $240 on GPU
    Noise isn't too much of an issue, I'm more interested in cooling

And christ bro I just checked that card on a canadian websitr and it was like $290 that's a bit more dimes than I plan on spending.

9. ImSpartacus

You don't need a great gpu for 900p gaming.

Try a 7790. Bonaire is already a decent choice for 1080p gaming. It should be a champ at 900p.

Don't waste money on more GPU than you need. Instead of putting that extra cash towards a larger depreciating GPU, put it in an appreciating mutual fund.

Time value of money, bitches.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  10. McGyver

I'd rather invest my money in a graphics card than keeping the money in an account where it's losing value thanks to negative real interest rates. Bitch. ^^

The Radeon 7790 would be a good choice since you also get Bioshock Infinite for free with it at some retailers.

If you want a cheap Nvidia anyways, get a Gainward GeForce GTX 660. If you are sure you are never going to upgrade from your ridonkulus 1600x900 monitor you could even go with a GeForce 650Ti.

11. w00kie

I just checked what you can get for 240$ and below and came to exactly the same conclusion.

Get a "EVGA GeForce GTX 660, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (02G-P4-2660)"

or a Gainward GTX 660.

12. ImSpartacus

O_o

The S&P500 has a ~12% ytd return right now.

I haven't looked at CPI numbers lately, but I doubt inflation is that bad.

If you guys aren't investing right now, you're not going to be very happy with yourself in twenty years. This isn't a decision to put the $50 saved into an account alone. It's about adding that $50 to the account that you should already have.

And besides, computer parts depreciate a lot faster than cash in a checking account.

At his price point and resolution, the 7790 is really the way to go. If he lives near a Microcenter, than he can get it for $100 without any rebates. Oh yes, that also comes with BIoshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Far Cry: Blood Dragon.

If not? Well, we just had some killer deals a few days ago. If he waits a week, he'll likely see another.

Considering the 660 is around $200, we're almost at twice the price for performance that he doesn't need. The 650 Ti Boost is a decent competitor against the 7790, but it's $150!!!

The premium isn't worth it at 1080p and it sure as hell isn't worth it at 900p.

And this is before we talk about the free games!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well, uh, I'm Canadian so sadly no microcenter for me. At Canada Computers they sell them at ~160 + rebate. I'll probably just take that instead of an Nvidia card then. I'm not a monitor person and I don't really care much about screen resolutions so I doubt I'd need anything more anyway.

14. ImSpartacus

You've got NCIX. They a 7790 for $145CAD with no rebates and no game bundles. Newegg has them for $125 USD before rebates with the games.

I'd call up a US bro from Wisconsin or somewhere and ask him to order a 7790 for you.

Or if you know someone from Twin Cities or Detroit, they could pick it up from a Microcenter.

15. w00kie

I hate when Muricans the verb out of sentence.

16. ImSpartacus

I'm going to it just like that because I you.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Checking them out on newegg and other sites, it looks like the clock speeds for both core clock and mem clock are similar (min. 1000 mhz and 6000 mhz respectively). The largest differences between cards seem to be whether it is 1 gb vram or 2 gb vram and the price is about $30 off. In this case should I just go for the cheaper cards or atleast cheapest after rebate? Also how do I know if it comes with the games, cause the websites don't show much.

Also, Amazon is a complete rip off for gpus.

Edit: or is it a promo from amd like back when ati cards let you download lost coast and hl2dm.

18. McGyver

Here you find the participating retailers. http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloaded.aspx#3

Also, when in doubt what to buy, go for the faster card, it will probably cost you like 1 cent for every hour you play games with it. ^^

19. ImSpartacus

How many hours to you play video games? A thousand a year? A full time job is two thousand a year.

So if you're playing enough games to overtake a full time job, an extra hundred dollars gets spread out to six cents an hour, or about eight dollars a month. I'd prefer that money in my pocket, thank you.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

whoever you are, what did you do to the one being spartacus, the above post contains an orthographic mistake?!