[Gameplay] Engineer Class Tips/Guide

Discussion in 'General' started by Spike, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Introduction
    The engineer class in empires is the most important class in empires and is the backbone of any team. You should master the engineer class before any other class. If you learn how to play engineer correctly you can be a valuable asset to your team.

Skills
    When playing engineer it is best to get repair upgrade at the beginning of the game to build the buildings your commander places and also your turrets once you have done this i suggest switching out to revive as soon as possible to keep your team alive and keep ticket loss to a minimum. Because of this revive is one of the most important skills in empires.

Repair upgrade is also a very important skill because of its ability to build structures, turrets and repair vehicles to keep them on the front lines.

My skill load out for engineer is as follows: first skill - Revive - Second skill - Repair Upgrade - Third skill - Speed upgrade - Fourth skill - health upgrade, accuracy upgrade or turret upgrade. Speed upgrade is very good for getting in and out of cover when reviving people on the front lines.

Turret upgrade is also good making your turrets more effective against the enemy i suggest this for later on in the game when you are defending against an onslaught of vehicles. Level 3 MG turrets are good at keeping the enemy's head down early on in the game however they are easy to take out due to squad artillery and and the mortar.

When playing engineer keep an eye out for unbuilt /damaged buildings and damaged vehicles. unbuilt buildings show up as yellow on the minimap. If you see a yellow building on the minimap i suggest you build it to help your commander as much as possible.

Weapons
    The ranged SMG being mainly the first weapon people use as engineer isn't the most efficient weapon in empires due to its slow rate of fire and average damage. However once you learn to use it it seems to do the job. also the accuracy is bad whilst on the move so you must crouch to use it.

The close ranged SMG would be a far better choice it has somewhat decent accuracy on the move has a higher rate of fire more rounds in the clip. It is much easier to use than the ranged SMG due to it also being good as a spray and pray weapon. However is does not maintain its accuracy as well as the ranged SMG.

The Shotgun is good also however you have to be very close to your enemy to kill them. It can kill on one shot if you land all of your hits at very close range.

Walls
    Walls are key in any sort of push and defense they can be used in offensive tactics to provide cover for advancing troops. Or be used in a defense to defend against enemy infantry or vehicles. This is one good method to placing walls correctly otherwise known as c walls i will provide a example below.
    http://i.imgur.com/XZdLIG4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aWv2fwq.jpg

Walls are also useful to wall off choke point's to hold up an enemy advance with a large amount of vehicles.
    You can also make small wall battlements that make it hard for enemy tanks to hit you with shells and missiles example below.

http://i.imgur.com/P9JHTkZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VjRa3xz.jpg

Placeables
    Be sure to always put your camera and turret down the camera is used for spotting enemy's and they show up as a orange diamond in your hud. Always place your mg turret early game to prevent riflemen from rushing up to you and always place your ML turret down later on in the game to do damage to vehicles. Alone ML turrets arnt really that effective but when every engineer on your team places them down there are much more effective.

Guide Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889575448

I have more than likely missed alot if you could post below that would be great

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Neoony likes this.
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

tbh, i know that everyone says this since forever, but i do not think that newbies should learn the game as engineer. i think itd be best to suggest rifleman and gren to learn to know the maps, watch other players and at least get some kills - a bit of instant gratification also is good to hold players. as engi they will be mainly overwhelmed and underperform with the class. to be a valueable engineer you need to know the game well enough and it puts a lot more stress on new players in comparison to the simplicity of rifleman or grenadier. if you suggest newbies being engi all you get will be newbies clusterfuck-repairing the barracks before it goes down.

in the gren thread you said it would be the hardest class to learn. yes it takes a bit to get used to the mortar, but i disagree, i think engineer is.

also to add some more pro-ish things: you can get the be cv stuck on cameras and radars (although it requires a decent ping because you need to drop it in the very last moment before it runs you over), for the nf cv you need walls now that they can just drive over turrets which i find incredibly shitty.

and if you go prone with smg2 its very accurate and also deals decent damage over distance.

3. Spike

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Repair upgrade first. Get the forward rax up then swap out to revive. You may need that repair upgrade quickly to get the rax up before an enemy mortar comes in.

5. Spike

it already says that >.<

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

RIP I read "My skill load out for engineer is as follows: first skill - Revive - Second skill - Repair Upgrade - Third skill - Speed upgrade - Fourth skill - health upgrade, accuracy upgrade or turret upgrade. Speed upgrade is very good for getting in and out of cover when reviving people on the front lines."

7. Spike

When playing engineer it is best to get repair upgrade at the beginning of the game to build the buildings your commander places and also your turrets once you have done this i suggest switching out to revive as soon as possible to keep your team alive and keep ticket loss to a minimum. Because of this revive is one of the most important skills in empires.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea yea yea, I read that now.

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

I'd say the grenadier has harder practical things to learn than the engineer, like learning how to use the mortar effectively and that's mostly it actually. The engineer on the other hand, has more theoretical things to learn; how to act to certain situations, how to react to changes on the field, tactics etc.

Xyaminou likes this.
  10. flasche

bs mortar is a thing of playing gren only for a week, no matter how hard you get your ass kicked at first, the rest is the same as for any class.

11. Ranger

Ranger Member

How do you mean? All classes depend on engineers. That's a responsibility that other classes don't have (caring for others<3)

12. flasche

i think i worded that badly. i just meant to say grenadier is not hard to play. mortar is just a thing to get used to.