Full-on Source RTS

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alceister, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

So I had an idea.

Sure, there are RTS/FPS Source hybrids out there like Zombie Master and Iron Grip: The Oppression. But what about a full-on multiplayer RTS using the Source Engine and unit AI like that used in FPS games?

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Well theres half-life wars, single player. I scroll moddb for hl2 mods periodically, havent seen anything like it.

3. Empty

Empty Member

You're welcome to do the first one Alceister.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

They are planning to do DOTA in source.. That's at least made from a RTS at the start.

Wasn't it planned to have multiplayer support for that? Or was it a workaround with it?

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

6. Alceister

Alceister Member

See, the incredible idea here though is that you can have two units who are otherwise the same: they have the same health, armour, and weaponry.

The only difference is that one of them has better combat AI. So not only could you integrate the standard stats for RTS units, but add AI as a sort of stat as well.

7. petemyster

petemyster Member

hl2 wars will be one of my top hl2 mods I reckon. Its what i've always wanted and so far, apart from a few annoying hitches (like trying to select units) its looking really great for an early beta.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

When I played Company of Heroes

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Incredible, another arbitrary stat to make one unit better than the other except this one takes forever to make, is hard to balance, and takes up mountains of processor time.

BEST IDEA EVER!

Actually no, dragon age origins has an even better idea where it makes you spend level up points on making your allies intelligent enough to perform basic actions, and instead of making good AI it gives you a scripting interface and makes you write your own! BRILLIANT IDEA!

10. Alceister

Alceister Member

Well how much would it actually slow down processor capability anyways? And if we're dealing with relatively small numbers it wouldn't be a problem would it?

Balance and development time are just about different questions altogether. It just poses the question whether the idea would be worth it or not.

I won't bother commenting on the rest of your message.

11. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

That was an asshole post Chris. Just sayin.

Take a look at the standard combine soldier. Now copy and paste that soldier. Edit the ai for the first soldier so that he doesnt use cover. There you go, done. Takes less processor usage using the first unit. You'd upgrade to the second one.

12. o_O

o_O Member

Using AI as a stat is a good idea because it adds something more strategic then DPS and splash radius and health. Like if emp was an RTS a noob tank would be half the price of a vet tank, but be unable to see mines and wouldn't turn to spread out damage. Both would be good in some situations but less good in others.

It would be hard though. Combine soldiers that didn't use cover would spend less time running back and forth aimlessly thus having higher DPS, plus they would be less likely to crowd behind a wall and all die to a grenade.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Really, who'd have ever thought I would be sarcastic, it is so out of character for me.

Adding another 200 hitpoints takes far less processor time than running dozens of AI routines to make the units use cover, not to mention the extra work involved in actually defining cover for the AI (which you would know is a rather involved process if you had ever opened hammer and tried to do it).

All it is is an inefficient, unreliable, difficult to implement, unneccesary addition, the only real banefit it has is that it looks a bit nicer but you could easily throw in some more explosions or stick the AI on the backburner if you didn't make it a vital gameplay statistic. If the AI just moves the units interestingly but doesn't confer gameplay advantages you get the visual appeal and it can be done more cheaply, it is also scalable.

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

this is the dumbest crusade ever- don't make interesting AI! it uses processor time! further, the guys have suggested that the only change to the normal model would be to downgrade it for cheaper options, so your arguement doesn't make any sense.

having two identical enemies ingame with different stats is stupid design too by the way.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this makes you think you do not understand the argument at hand.

the argument is not "lets make the AI "less" interesting,

its lets make the AI "equally" interesting, if you can make one of it react really clever to certain situations it is a shame to let another react really dumb to the same situations for 2 reasons

1: you will effectively need 2 AI routines, while otherwise you could write it all in 1 script, to save on processor, fine tuning and testing time

2: it is just silly, its like making a wooden chair, and the left paw is -=craftsdarvenly=- detailed about how the dwarves settled the area, and the other is like a simple "stick" glued to the chair to keep it upright

if you really want to differentiate the 2 characters, you could always make them graphically distinctive, give them different stats or just make them have different special capabilities, but making them less intelligent is not the answer

16. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I see that point, sure. Though having the behavior of the units change by them not taking cover etc is nothing like making them less intelligent.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

ha dota, i hate that game, because it's the only thing people played on warcraft 3, and its so stupid, i liked playing REAL maps not crap dota and its spin offs eeota, then the starcraft dota, and then tank wars, which is like the battleship map and dota slapped together, then there was the dota that is actually ON broodwar, becuase dota is so gay and expansive....... Which is why a source version of dota would suck.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I didn't see any real reason that you hate dota except that you suck at it and can't come up with any reason why. :rolleyes:

19. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

it's asian

20. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

OK, what the fuck, Modern Warfare suck assballs and yet everyone bought it, and you whine about dota being expansive?