"Free" Barracks, Ref.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by rampantandroid, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

A minor idea:

If a team has no barracks, make placing a new barracks free - but ONLY if they have no barracks, and maybe add a cooldown on this. Perhaps the same for a free ref?

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i think that if the team doesn't have enough res for a refinery, then the refinery costs the amount they have, or it's free altogether. At the very least, this is a must, the barracks I could give or take. But the free ref is a GREAT idea because if a team happens to botch things so poorly and they have no res then at least they can still place one. Of course, you'd have to bend the rules on recycling this free ref (what with you getting res for recycling something that was free) but at least this will keep the losing team in the game.

Actually, on second thought, I don't think the free barracks is a good idea, but I think the free ref is a GREAT idea.

I mean, yeah, sure, they're probably 100% screwed, but at least being able to place that refinery will give them a glimmer of hope, and you need that glimmer to keep the losing team from being completely disenfranchised with the game.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

just alter the struct/class that represents the barracks/ref to store whether it was free. If it was free, then it gives no money when recycled. Not sure if its that simple, though.

4. Slamz

Slamz Member

I just think this should be an auto-lose condition:

Your team has no spawn point
    +
    Your team cannot afford a new spawn point
    +
    Your team will never afford a new spawn point because you have no refinery
    +
    Your team cannot afford a new refinery
    =
    Game Over. You Lose.

I've seen this situation before and it's not fun to sit there unable to do anything while the Commander spend 5 minutes running around the map just to prolong the inevitable. Half the server quits out rather than sit there in no-spawn-ville waiting for the game to end.

Similarly, running out of tickets should be insta-lose.

5. zergl

zergl Member

No. Definitely no. I had one of the most fun games since I started playing when both teams were down to 1 ticket on crossroads. It was an insane battle with engies running around reviving fallen comrades and collecting people into squads for group respawns while a tank battle to the death was carried out at the frontline.

6. picard131

picard131 Member

I like the idea of free barracks if you don't have one and there's not enough res for one, but there should be an insane cooldown. You only get two chances at living in Empires :P

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I see what your getting at.. I've seen many teams with no refs and 80 somthing res.. Not enough for anything really.. But usally you would recycle somthing to get enough res for a ref

I can see positives and negatives with this change..

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It used to do that. People would get hunted down in real life and crucified. I still have the pictures somewhere.

Seriously though, losing because one nub spawns is even more retarded than losing because you can't afford a ref :p

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Pretty sure if you can't afford a ref/rax and you have none it is about time to give up.

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

unless there is a commander ability called, LAST STAND!
    Commander can either initiate a mass spawn of all dead team mates at command vehicle. Or destroy all research for both teams.
    Perhaps at the cost of having a commander for the initiating team.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  11. The Buttery Lobster

Emp_Recruit, there has to be at least the ILLUSION of chance and reward in the game, or the losing team will become dissatisfied with the match. Doesn't have to be a big chance, but it has to be there. Honestly, I think that 99.9% of the time, if you're in this situation, you might as well just start goofing around. But if there's no chance at winning then there's no more fun. And really, like I said, you're so screwed anyway, there's no harm in this idea.

However, this whole idea of a rax and a cooldown timer seems unneeded. If only the refinery is free, then that in itself will act as a cooldown meter by flow of res. Besides, imo the game should try and aim for consistency within the rules, so minimal free stuff with the 0 res conditional modifier.

oh, also "........... that is all" at Vess's comments, also. Destroy all research!?! :p

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

If this was implemented you would have to mess around making sure it wasn't abused. You could recycle rax at start of game for extra res then drop the free one blah blah blah. There is a cost to implementing ideas namely Krenzo's time which is better spent elsewhere namely on ideas that don't suck.

What .1% of games have this happen? Who cares, clearly the game is already lost for your team. "Blah Blah Blah cyclopean." Build and recycle the vf if your comm dropped one. Anyways imo maps should start with at least 1 res.

People need to stop making threads or posting ideas about how this one time this one thing happend(x) so x is overpowered or underpowered or something needs to be done to prevent x.

k thx bye

13. The Buttery Lobster

that's why i don't really want the rax implemented, just the ref.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Except that's not why I posted this.

If you have nothing to add to the thread and only want to flame and annoy, then don't bother posting.

I have a few additions to make to this..but I want to post them in their entirety - so that waits till tomorrow...

15. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Seems to me that when the last refinary or last barrax has been deystroyed,and theres nothing left to recycle not even some walls or 2 turrets theres nothing outside of a ninja that can save the team from loosing.
    The other team already controls over 3/4 of the map by this time. Tanks will be rolling in soon, if they arn't there already.

I could see a commander being able to mass revive, or turn the cv onto self destruct, or a trickle of res that dosn't need refinaries, or the home base refinary (the one thats already there at map start) being invincible.

16. REX

REX Member

I have won many games where I have been dead on the ground in my base unable to respawn, looking around waiting for people to step on my mines, while seeing them destroy most of the base when suddenly BOOM you won and some lone ninja made a run for it. followed by the OMG! WTF? and HOW? comments from most of the enemy team.

Also how about this. If you dont have enough res for a ref and dont have any already, you can deploy the CV as a refinery, but thereby nailing it to the ground atleast until you have recycled it so you cant run.

(Also somehow prevent asshats from doing so in the beggining of the game.) And make the process a bit slower than building a normal ref also.

Not sure how to make it:confused: , but maybe it could be very simple. Maybe like a modified version of the rope, to look like a huge pipe thing from the res point that auto adjusts length to a point on the CV ?.

17. Pod

Pod Member

Bit of a misnomer, that is. Imagine an early game rush. That could destory your barracks and/or ref, but it doesn't mean the game is lost, etc.

18. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

You could make some interesting changes with that - not sure if it'd ever be a good idea though - how about with the last stand:
    the commander becomes immobile, everyone respawns at the commander, no res income recorded, players take 1 damage per #ticks if over # distance from the commchair(faster than squad healing / regen can replenish), maybe even players heal 1 hp per few seconds if they're close (like the squad healing), revive only works near the chair / respawns people at the chair.
    It really would be a proper last stand then. You could need a vote on it from the team and/or have it wear off after a decent stretch.

not nec. a good idea, but interesting I thought.

I like the idea of a free/discounted ref/barracks. you could get around most exploiting by only letting it operate if you've not had no barracks and sufficent resource to rebuild for a little while before hand (so if you sell barracks and use the money to buy something else then you dont get a free replacement). Or limit this to only come into effect if the barracks is destroyed not recycled.

Refineries are less prone to exploit and quite a handy idea.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Actually, I offered some points of why this idea sucked. Flaming would be me pointing out everyone in this thread, save me, is a retard. I wouldn't do that now would I? Don't post stupid ideas if you don't want people to reply negatively. If you don't have any refs or raxes you are well beyond the threshold of losing, implementing this is a waste of Krenzo's time and opens up a bunch of different things for possible abuse. Shit costs money, stop trying to give stuff to people for free, hippies. I look forward to pointing out why your new ideas are equally as stupid as the first.

Waiting in anticipation,

Simon

20. REX

REX Member

You want to be flamed eh ? calling everyone a retard just ad so much to the discussion :rolleyes: .

Well sorry I forgot that you are the smartest person ever and that we should all listen to you as your input is ultimate and can end all debate, as you know what the devs would think is a good idea :pathetic:.

Im not saying I would like this idea a whole lot but I wont stfu and stop the debate before krenzo or some dev says NO. Why do you even care most stuff in the suggestions area are repeats anyway and most of them will be ignored/declared useless/too hard to make. The devs dont just take on any idea/request. Otherwise there would already be nothing but super nuketanks/blimpz and a big I WIN button.