fog_max_density option in env_fog_controller

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', May 30, 2010.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There exists in source a console command called fog_max_density, you need cheats enabled to use it, and what it does is relatively self explanatory. It controlls the maximum density of the fog, so instead of having solid block colour when it reaches the end distance, it always stays slightly transparent.

I would like for this function to be connected to the env_fog_controller entity, so that it can be used properly in maps, the only way I know at the moment would be to use a point_clientcommand to set it per-player and a point_servercommand to set cheats active on the server.

Obviously this cannot be done as no server would run the map, and it would be set for all maps, not just the one on play, so it needs to be connected to the fog controller.

A comparatively simple change I assume, however it could vastly improve the visuals of many empires maps.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

isnt this already possible by setting the max dencity of the fog to 0.8 or 0.6 or some value appropreate in the env fog controller?

checked it; the param is

fogmaxdensity <float>

Fog Max Density [0..1]

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Console variables for fog override values in map settings (fog controller). That is why they're cheats.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As far as I know there isn't a parameter for that in the controller, unless it was added recently. Hence why I asked for one to be added.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Seems unlikely given that I found the command some time ago and the first thing I did was check the entity to see why it wasn't in there.

Possibly it doesn't show up in smartedit.