Fixing Invalid Steam User ID issue

Discussion in 'Support' started by Trickster, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

To fix this problem, head to your steam folder and delete the folder called "userdata". In my personal case, that can be found at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata

Delete the "userdata" folder, restart steam, and you should no longer have problems joining servers.

You'll be required to re-enter the account protection code which they'll send to your email address.

Thanks go to complete_lamer and Ducky for searching around and finding this solution.

EDIT: It seems an easier solution is to delete the file in Steam\config\config.vdf

You may have to re-enter the steam verification on restart but other than that, it should work fine.

EDIT2: Siro also reported that deleting userdata/[number related to account]/config/localconfig.vdf will also work, but won't force you to re-enter the verification code on restart.

Use whichever method you want.

EDIT3 01/01/2013:

Seems the problem might be back, but in a different capacity. The old "delete clientregistry.blob and restart steam" trick seems to work for this one.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I just tried this and it made me download over 1.4 gig skyrim data that I already had before. :( (and european steam servers all suck today :( :( )

SO, the method may be working but still is a DIRTY WORK AROUND.

3. Trickster

Oh, and I thought Kenji was being dumb when he said he had to download a load of MW3 stuff again.

4. w00kie

okay, I understand what was the reason for all the redownloading, steam had links to language files in the userdata folder. :headshot:

Now I download another 1.6 gig of german Skyrim data.

Should have noticed that earlier..

5. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

No guarantees against any side effects ;)

The more precise cause for the problem seems to be with in

userdata/[number related to account]/config/localconfig.vdf

which has a section containing app tickets, but also a section with the language settings for the installed apps. Editing/removing just the tickets section could (maybe) avoid those problems, but I'd guess it's a bit more complicated to do for most people...

Still makes me wonder why it redownloads your content, in my case the userdata folder was recreated on next steam login, without any downloads - aren't there different .gcf files for the languages anyway ?

6. w00kie

atleast skyrim uses NCFs (No Cache File :)) and somehow seems to throw the other language away when I change it. Even though there are some txt files for localisation, the "Skyrim - Voices.bsa" gets simply overwritten when you change laguage. Pretty stupid, since that file is 1.3 gig in size.

7. Michael

Michael Member

Thank you Complete_Lamer and Ducky for finding solution for this issue. It solved the problem for me too.

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

1.3gb might be the very reason they do it ... because to be honest, it's damn much on your pc for something you shouldn't need ever again after changing your language once.

9. siro

siro Member

deleting
    does work for me. No need to enter steam password, empires is working again :)

10. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Tried each fix twice, none of them worked.

11. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Urethra, I had the same problem (again) today, and the above fixes didn't work. There's another thing you can try that worked for me, and that is delete ClientRegistry.blob (found in your Steam folder) and restart Steam.

12. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yeah,

instead of deleting I just renamed mine with Bad*.* and restarted, fixed it.

13. Trickster

Updated first post.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

ffs why does this problem keep coming back?

I changed the message sever to say about the client registry blob file instead.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. KyrO

KyrO Member

Hello,
    Can't connect to a server today... Invalid Steam User ID...
    I tried everything: deleted the "userdata" folder, Steam\config\config.vdf and Steam\clientregistry.blob, but nothing works, problem still here...
    I never had that issue before.

16. Trickster

Seems to have just come back today. Every time we find one solution, it pops up again and the old one doesn't work.

17. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Try clicking on 'change user' in steam to log out and then log back in with user name and password again.
    That used to fix it for me ages ago.

18. Renousim

Renousim Member

This mod has too many errors and it never finishes closing when I exit and try to play another game, Im just going to delete it

19. BroT

BroT Member

"Too many errors" ? Wut?

One does not simply uninstall Empires!

20. Renousim

Renousim Member

I'm having too much trouble with the game, So I just uninstalled it, Sadly, Its a fun game and I thought it looked cool but I was having too much trouble with the steam ID and my steam folder is in a different folder