Fix the tankholes on canyon.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by o_O, Jul 3, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

Just today, a few loyal teammates spent 5 minutes trying to get me (the BE comm) out of one of those craters in the southwest of emp_canyon. The net result was 1 got stuck with me, until a 3rd tank bumped him out, and sometime later an apc got stuck in another nearby hole. It didn't matter this game, but ive seen thousand res arties get stuck, and worse, people spending huge amounts of time trying to get them out and still failing.

The problem is they are tank sized holes. If they were larger and less steep, you could get a little speed going and drive out. If they were smaller and shallower, you would have one wheel on flat ground and could be pushed out. I would say, make them larger (NOT deeper) and maybe add a few little bits of charred tank to make it look like a tank was here but got just totally rocked and vaporized by a missile.

Alternatives:
    -Resist the urge to squish people hiding in the holes
    -Put caution cones around them

Edit: diagram
    Code:
     ###---     <--- tank
    oooooo 

--\   ###===  /--    <--- the problem here is, you cant move back and forth to gain speed, but the crater is just big enough to swallow a tank
    ---\ oooooo  /---           or arty whole, or get a BE comm nicely stuck.  
    -----------------          

###===      
    --\            oooooo  /--    <--- because the sides are less steep, and the hole is larger, the tank can drive out, allthough std engine might have
    -------\          /------           a hard time still.  Even then, you could probly drive back and forth to get some speed.  
    --------------------------          

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I think the intention of these craters is to stop bad tank drivers.

Maybe a little bit of acid on the ground of the craters would help. Just as much that infantry can use them as cover but stucked tanks will be destroyed.

3. communism

communism poof

You used to be able to get out with turrets, but now the shells disappear too quickly

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Fixed one problem, created another. Though at least you can avoid driving into holes, unless you're careless. Vehicles need more power in first gear anyway, I can go up steeper hills in a Fiat Panda than in any standard engine vehicle, Panda's have like what, 70 hp?

MORE POWERFUL FIRST GEAR!!

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

This would be fixed is vehicles had pogo sticks.

7. o_O

o_O Member

SIP - sure, I'll help test those vaules. I like how your making vehicles better without even having to mess around with raw power or speed. I just set the values in the scripts to that and mess around in my own server right?

Hamster - Ive always thought tanks needed the ability to jump, just a little. It would allow you to get unstuck in so many situations... But then communism would exploit off the map with it or something. :p

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This is when 9mining would help :|

Incidentally, a full-speed APC ramming the rear of the comm should do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

But don't you like the canyon newb traps?

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

It's being worked on...

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Just add a couple of vehicleclips into the holes? Inf got cover and tanks doesn't get stuck.

12. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Well, you should have been around for the first iterations of canyon. the craters were deeper, and WE LOVED.

The people who complain are the people who get stuck, often.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

Both of those apc's were me :D

keep it its fun

14. o_O

o_O Member

I love them until I drive in them myself :rolleyes: Besides newbs get their tanks killed fast enough already. Also, a comm driving into one of those could end the game very badly.

Ah 9 mining. The people's own grief/ungrief plugin. When I got stuck, the ass end of the BE comm was in the hole, and the rest sticking out. Full speed fission apcs/afvs rammed me, sometimes 2 at a time. When they came from behind they flew over me like I was a sweet jump. When they came from the front they almost flipped me but I remained stuck.

Thanks for trying ^^

It is kindof fun. Although it wouldn't have been if we were trying really hard and still loosing and it ate a bunch of tanks. Ive played games where VF's were placed directly in front of those holes. There was this light tank stuck in it for most of the game and you just drove over it. Eventually it dissapeared and the stupid hole ate a 1.2k arty.