Fix NF command vehicle

Discussion in 'Support' started by -=SIP=-, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Siro to the rescue :D

I'll test tomorrow have to learn today :|

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY MONSTER TRUCK YOU HORRIBLE PERSON?

Seriously, the NF CV is far better to drive and far more useful than the BE CV. You people who claim otherwise should be ashamed. I want to keep my monster truck.

Scale BE CV to be NF CV sized instead.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

needs more 22"s

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No one is claiming that the CV isn't better to drive or more useful. People are upset that it can get stuck on a turret. It should not drive over turrets for many reasons. This is for balance. ty siro! Hopefully it works

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Siro:
    I tested the new command vehicle and I only noticed, that the physbox was increased towards ground:
    [​IMG]

With this you can still build turrets under NF CV. And NF CV can't move then.
    [​IMG]

Maybe a physbox more like this will let the NF CV automatically slide down from turrets. Would maybe work even better, if the physbox of the turrets would also be changed to pyramids.
    [​IMG]

PS: Developers, the new current research info on HUD is great!

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Yeh that's what I thought, it's a shame really.

Nice work Siro.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

What tools are you using to modify the models? Maybe you can post a download link and/or tutorial.
    At the first view adjusting the physbox doesn't seems to be very complected.

8. Empty

Empty Member

SIP do you actually know how the wheels work...
    Just because the model has no physbox for them doesn't mean they aren't there.

9. siro

siro Member

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Try saying that when an MG is shooting you through the NF CV tires.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

[​IMG]

what about something like this?

agreed, this would make the cv able to drive over them, but seeing as how big that thing is....

12. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

sorry but in my opinion i like the BE cv - smaller, faster, cant put turret under it.
    God damn just change the Redneck Monster Truck CV -_- :s

13. Cloud

Cloud Member

It's not a monster truck if you can't run over everything with it :D.
    It's more like a big truck if anything, and a small cv wouldnt fit the NF, just like how easy-to hide barracks wouldn't either.

14. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I'm still trying to fix the NF command vehicle but compiling the physbox causes some troubles:

SMD MODEL C:\Spiele\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\empiresTEST\models\nf\vehicles\ground\command\/phymodel.smd
    WARNING: Bad collision model, check your smoothing groups!!!
    WARNING: Truncating model!!!!
    WARNING: C:\Spiele\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\empiresTEST\models\nf\vehicles\ground\command\/phymodel.smd has bad smoothing groups
    Model has 1 convex sub-parts
    Collision model completed.

It's the first time, that I'm working on HL2 models. So before I will find the error a more experienced modeler can do this is some minutes.

I think the problem was that you tried to fix this by lowering the physbox to the ground. But as you see on this screenshot the physbox have to be 10-20 units higher and the NF CV should then be able to drive over turrets.

Enable physbox: vcollide_wireframe 1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  15. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

16. dizzyone

Smoothing groups refer to the normal angle of vertices. They basically decide how shading is applied to planes based off of the vertices, so for instance if the 3 vertices on a tris have their up angle (lets say Y) facing the same direction as the up angle of the tris normal, the shading will show hard edges around that tris and will make it look flat shaded. This is because the shading will be calculated completely flat as its hitting all the vertices at exactly the same angle, and since they're facing the same direction as the tris is, there is no gradual shading in that tris.

Collsion models require the complete mesh to be smoothed, so not flat shaded, that means that every normal angle needs to be inbetween all the faces its touching. (on a 90 degrees corner the vertices normal angle should be 45 degrees).

Milkshape has "Auto smooth" enabled as default, so its weird that it isn't doing this automaticly. What you can try is selecting the mesh and going into the smoothing groups, deselecting and rselecting auto smooth.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to find some tutorial for milkshape as the exporters for all these programs are different, and you could be doing anything wrong at this point.

Edit: Like your folder structure lol:

That might not be correct, or atleast I don't recall the compiler ever giving me that as the path (the \/phymodel.smd) part.

17. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I made a thread about this in bug reports waaaaaay back when, many people tried and failed to make this work.

18. dizzyone

Raising it is an option that isn't tried, its the easiest fix.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I just had a thought. How about making all the turrets a little bit taller (some kind of scaling)? Looking at that picture, it looks like it wouldn't take much height to fix (or mostly fix) the problem.

20. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

What happened to the idea to make all engineer buildables (except walls ofc) noclip? No more blocking CVs, no more hiding behind ammo box and turret, etc.