Feedback to server owners instead of the game. Cooldown map

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

We've talked about this a lot, that empires needs some cooldown after a massive game, 25 v 25 chain for example. Next game more than half just spec to chill a bit before diving in after 10 minutes.

How about we have a cooldown map in between.
    What I propose is any infantry map ( district eastborough what ever ) but its instant sudden death. So you can only spawn once and then you die.

Pros
    cooldown for some players
    excitement of sudden death
    fast infantry maps get played on large pops

cons
    some people hate infantry maps
    ? coding? plugins?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

We're actually discussing this, but instant sudden death feels quite punishing (and incompatible with ticket bleed mechanic maps). My suggestion is to make those "intermission" maps last 10-15 minutes. Limited tickets, 10 minute sudden death timer. At 15 minutes, a kill brush gets activated and everyone dies, triggering the next map.

I'm also trying to make a map that fits exactly into this design philosophy but I'm a little short on ideas right now.

As for what needs to be done, the easiest way is to simply recompile the desired maps with a few critical entities modified to fit the requirements. Minimal effort, just a few hours of compiling per map.

3. Paradox

Another thing I was thnking about, you know lordz his minigames? Why dont we do one of those in between large games, tweek the map so you only play 1 minigame randomly selected from the many.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

We don't use them because they're broken and don't work. Dz is working on a new version whose playtime I estimate for 10-25 minutes.

5. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Sudden death is awful and the main reason I hate district because you end up camping one end of the map all the time, where as the old ticket drain versions encouraged people to push back or lose faster.

As for intermission maps frankly they don't suit any set time in empires, most people who require a break can usually wait 20-30 mins for any old map to pass or just join in progress.

I have made a few spazzy trap/experimental/teamwork based maps in the past, they are entertaining but you don't want to play them for long and not everyone will want to even play them so you can lose players from the server. I get sick of my own maps after a few short rounds and frankly those kind of maps are better for short round based games like CS and gmod.

6. Paradox

does jeep race still exist?

7. Paradox

also rainbowroad with only jeeps, you cant build anything, no turrets no nothing first one to push other comm of the map wins

did I just come up with the best idea ever?

@Kidpaler can you make this for me

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

For all it matters the middle flag can be a bleeder with a short contesting timer but a long capture one, it'll be the same.

The point of these maps is to not necessarily be the next pinnacle of Empires gameplay, but to offer a break and tap into that chatroom atmosphere that Empires so often comes down to. And to have some more maps to jump around during low pop times. As long as the exposure to the map is short, it shouldn't cause much trouble.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

District really just needs to have a frequency limit to revives. Otherwise its just a shootout in one place until sudden death, which in that case isnt very sudden, but quite the opposite.
    It can be fun when both teams push back and forth. But thats not gonna happen with this revive rate, at least with high number of players.

10. Paradox

The ideal map would be, not super competetive.
    10 minutes, to win you need skill and some luck.
    ideal for any pop size, but favorable for high pop size

11. Paradox

instant sudden death!

also I dont get why district doesnt work? If you do instant sudden death your tickets will drain at 1 per second. So if both teams have like 300 ticket to start thats atleast 4 minutes ofgameplay without sudden death, then another x with and gg

12. Neoony

Neoony Member

District doesnt have sudden death.
    District has Hide and Seek.

....or more like Hide and Hide XD

NekoBaron likes this.
  13. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I think a cool down map is a good idea..Lordz maps do not work anymore because it uses Lua and empires doesn't support it anymore. Yes jeep race still exists and works so does empirescup afaik.

Empirescup would be fun for a cool down map.

a cool down map would need to be on manually by an admin though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  14. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Hey, good news. He remade minigames, or sorry, he made a new minigames.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so each other map wont be empires?

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

It depends on what your definition of Empires is, but I imagine it won't be literally every two maps, happening after a very long round or a series of shorter ones instead.

17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

not every round is massive and long, I read this thread to mean only after those types of rounds.

18. Ranger

Ranger Member

If you are interested in race maps, my brother made a bunch many years ago.

http://gamebanana.com/maps/41112
    http://gamebanana.com/maps/63273
    http://gamebanana.com/maps/61722

He doesn't have the source files because the old HDD died and he didn't recover them. So you would need to decompile to edit the vmf. However, the maps have been compiled with a protector so I'm not sure how you should do it.

I think all the maps were made for EP2 single player, but they have worked in Gmod for me as most of his maps. Still needs a lot of editing for Empires obviously.
    Also notice that Empires doesn't use EP2 content so it would have to be included in the map, increasing the map size.

He said you are free to do watafak you want with them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    vipervicki likes this.
  19. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

You can always get around those silly map protectors with a lil effort, and I would NOT recommend packing game content into maps since it is technically illegal and against the eula and will bloat up map size more, its better to re texture or use other models.

Thexa4 likes this.
  20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

<3

I'm finishing up the 2017 version of it now.. Will poke Vicki with it tonight or tomorrow.

Paradox likes this.