Feedback on Biological Cannon & Absorbant Armor

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ranger, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Ranger

Ranger Member

I recently played my first game against Bio Cannon BE Heavies and I would like to express my opinion. Feel free to share your own experiences, ambitions and dreams as long as they contain Bio Cannons.

It was a game in Cyclopean, ranging from 5vs5 to 10vs10. It was a long game as it lasted a bit over 90 minutes. I joined BE 20 minutes in but I was forced to teamswitch because the game was 8vs4, even though NF had cornered BE in the NE.

At first, I played as engineer on a NF Heavy with 5/5/5/5 of Reactive armour, Bio MG (To try it) and double UML to snipe refeneries. I met a BE Heavy with dual Bio CN in SE, in the city, I knew I wasn't really good as a MBT, but I didn't expect to die that fast. It destoyed 1 plate per shell plus the bio damage, or at least that's the impression it gave me, since the armor was destroyed on all sides quickly. Then ded, rekt. Note, Bio Cannon and Bio ML deal 65 and 50 damage respectively.

Then, I researched Absorant because since the latest updates, it has the smallest damage modifier for bio weapons (It's 0.45, while all other armors have 1.00, even composite and regenerative). Absorbant armor, really allowed me to turn things over, since it allowed me to destroy any other tank, sometimes two or three at a time without repairing (Note that there was only one skilled player on the other team, that being JK who did a good job at leading BE, I think), so no MLG.

The reason Absorbant allowed me to immensely push back everything, is not because it's a good armour against Bio, but because I was able to add all 6 plates on all sides and have four weapons on my Heavy. In a few words it allowed me to increase my DPS dramatically by having two Salvos of Rockets, DU MG and the Std Cannon. It also allowed me to use even the heaviest of engines and still have a bit more weight left.

So, Absorbant on it's own does not directly counter Bio Cannons, if you know what I mean. It has low health in comparison to other armors, (67 HP), but it allows you to cause so much damage that it spooks the enemy away... Causing him to retreat or to distract his firing etc. Spooky Shotgun

Back when Compo weighed 10, BE heavies had increased DPS. That, can be replicated with Absorbant when fighting against Bio NF Heavies I suppose, but I think Absorbant is more effective on NF since they need to counter the Double Bio cannon. I think it's unusual but good balancing nonetheless.

Questions:

Sgt probably stated this but I don't remember; do timers for bio damage stack or reset when repeatedly hit? I think it's the latter.

Does Bio Damage Modifier affect projectile damage, or bio damage inflicted by the timer effect thing? If it's the first case, Absorbant should resist more than 2 Bio shells before dying and that's without calculating the speed to damage modifier (-0.000112).

2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I do agree with you, absorbant will enable you to kill more tanks just due to your being able to put on more weapons. It's also a finer resolution timer to when you have to return for a repair. It counts down from 6, instead of 4 or 3 of other armors. And it is significantly cheaper. a 1400 cost Reactive tank with two weapons will be like 1000 then you add more cost for more weapons.

But recently I've been liking composite only since I can turn and keep fighting while the back armor repairs itself. Absorbant would be better if you have good repair engineers on the front lines though. Compo melts to DU.

Also since MONEY now has lower income - it and coolant become the ideal first research - enabling you to have more armor, with more attack power on the field.

BIO canon seems more powerful than BIO ML, but you can't keep the hammer down at distance with canon. You have to aim up to lob the shell with canon. I still prefer canon for NF though. There is usually some ground troop behind a wall that make that shell very useful.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why the fuck would you research bio CANNON for brenodi

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

Bio Cannon is a practical weapon. It's a bit slower than HE but the bio damamge makes up for its reduced rpm damage and radius. It heats a bit less and also travels a bit further. My reactive tank succumbed to the powers of biology much faster than it would have against HE. Double Bio weapons means you have more chances of dealing more bio damage on more sides and thus makes it more reliable to inflict damage to the hull. It's more tricky but it's not stupid.

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

For me... Bio cannon is a bit lacking in actual bio.

It's a great cannon, but the bio damage it deals is pitiful compared to bio ml. However it doesn't last as long, so you can keep shooting and reapplying the effects...

I like the weapon, and I'm glad abs armour is getting more use.

6. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

IMO:
    Bio cannon is a extremely practical and redundant weapon (bio ml, canon).
    it's extremely practical in mid-early game because it's bio ml and a cannon combined.
    But a bio-ml + extended range + fission engine + regen/compo beat it any day, expecially on a brenodi tank (with 2 extended range, even tho i don't remember if that is not too heavy)

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I would do it if I was already in there getting regen and stuff and wanted to rush meds. I will say you can still use it on be heavy, but you have to basically hit 2 different sides to get the most out of it, which means having cannons bound to different mouse buttons which most people prefer to have on one button.

This can actually work really well because it's much harder for a player to defend 2 broken sides instead of just one, and most people don't run til they get to 1 or no plates. Empires tank combat I feel revolves around pressuring the tank driver into making bad choices, not really just hitting the opponent. Bio helps give that panic feeling to tank drivers, as they see their tank melting away. I feel like that psychological effect has increased when security shortened bio's time interval so it hitting twice as hard in half the time.