Fat tank Vs weedy bridge

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SwampRat, Oct 9, 2006.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

can things like bridges be set to get damaged by being loaded with a certain amount of weight, or if a thing of above a set weight is on it? it'd be quite interesting to have a naffish wooden bridge that jeeps and people can cross but if a tank tries it either needs to be quick/lucky or have an engineer fixing the bridge as it goes across.

not sure if that counts as a suggestion, if it does exist then could a nice mapper chappy use it for much fun and jollity? there we go, now its a suggestion (or request i suppose)

(oh and further to my liking if really over loaded heavy tanks were on it'd die faster than light tanks, for obvious reasons)

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'd like it if bridges were visibly destroyed, so you could judge when it was about to go as a grenadier, and then only shoot the last rocket when a tank went on it.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This would be fairly easy to do with the current system. All it requires is a couple of layers of models, with a pristine one on top with a cracked old one on the bottom, each with relevant health values. With the current I/O system though, rebuilding it would be more difficult.

About the weight though, i think that might be a tad too realistic. It shouldn't ever collapse under a single tank, and how often do you see multiple tanks on the same bridge?

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

many times on the bridge in slaughterd

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Got me on that one lol.

I don't really think that it would add that much to the game. And I imagine it could become quite annoying if it happened regularly.

6. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

i never see it on slaughtered, cause i usually whip out an arty and destroy hte bridge.

Of course, it's always hilarious to see a bridge collasping on 3 tanks :P

7. picard131

picard131 Member

I would love to see an anti-tank spam by making a bridge collapse when 'x' vehicles are on it at the same time.
    Think you've got a prime arty spot on the bridge with the other arty tanks?
    BAM! Think again!

8. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

i wasnt saying it for all bridges, just that it might be interesting to have as a feature - so you could have a main bridge thats on the road and all proper but more conveniently you have 'the old bridge' thats not really used or maintained any more but handily located (so infantry and brave tanks dont have to go the long/dangerous way)

similarly it could be a leveled bit running across the side of a steep hill, only designed to hold a couple of tonnes per section and with huge health (so rebuilding and killing very hard but either enough weight or mines or arty and the road breaks) again not good for the only road but for a minor or back up it'd be interesting.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I think there's a way to allow an object to move once a certain amount of force is applied. If you could calculate the weight of the object, then you could probably trigger it to break under it.

Of course, this would rely on the actual physics weight of the tank reflecting the value shown on the customization screen, which I'm not sure it does.

PS: as for the changing appearance as a structure loses health, it is completely possible. I may write a tutorial on the wiki on how to do this soon.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

if bridges just dissapeared when say, 4 tanks were on it, it would be just about the most annoying feature of the game. it would be practically like adding our own bug.

11. picard131

picard131 Member

Well, I suppose we could have a time delay and a VERY loud creaking sound to let you know to get the hell off the bridge.

12. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

i was hoping it'd be more like lots of creaking while the tanks were there and after a while down goes mr bridge (good if it sagged or dropped a bit before dying, again that probably like appearence changes) also it shouldnt be done to bridges that done look unsuitable for tanks...

dust and noise are good too. i really wasnt advocating screwing over lots of bridges, just seeing if it'd be possible to make not so much infantry only ones as ones you need engineer support on or dont use often with tanks - maybe one mass sneak attack - but if its your main route then it wont be there forever.

even a non-rebuildable one that could have the equivalent of 30 medium tanks crossing it (ie if you left one parked on it it'd die in 30x the length of time to cross) or maybe more. that works more where its a mountain road than a bridge, but it'd all work as well.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

rope bridges are the answer!

14. jambo

jambo Member

what about destroyable tunnels, like the destroyable bridge in slaughterd.
    and it can't be repaired once its destroyed, could be an interesting feature.