Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pope_Homeless_XIII, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Well looks like Bethesda finally released some news on this long awaited game, as well as a trailer. Discuss & whatnot.

Update July 1st 2007
    More news

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Doesn't show anything that hasn't already been seen from fallout but at least it looks like they're trying to stick closer to the originals than the more recent incarnations :)

3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

oh, and thank god for that. I have great trepidation about the new stuff if Oblivion is any indication of what is to come.

4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

The teaser is all in-engine, which has me a little concerned. While in-engine doesn't imply that what we saw was actual game assets, the fact that they're showing that the engine is capable of that stuff might mean that the game is going to eschew the traditional isometric turn-based model.

The only thing this trailer really tells us is that they've got something of an understanding of the atmosphere.

Edit: Okay, I've watched it a few more times, and I've come to the conclusion that this is not the engine of a first-person game (at least, not one slated for 2008). The lighting is rather basic and all of the detail is from the textures, which don't even appear to have normal maps on them. The soldier you see in the end has all of this lighting information (something along the lines of ambient occlusion) baked into the textures, but otherwise no complex lighting on him whatsoever.

This is definitely not the engine of a first-person game.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

For those nostalgic for Fallout, I found this while youtubing.

cool shit here.

Download the map (haven't tried to d/l it myself, yet, here.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

TES4 is a first person game.

(note: this interview is from before Oblivion was released, and it's confusing until you realize that.)

But, they might not be using the same (heavily upgraded) version of the engine.

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Perhaps I should have worded it differently - the visuals from the teaser are not indicative of a first-person game.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

Well, I could probably agree with you there. :D

9. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Fallout 1&2<3, my two favorite games ever.

Unlike alot of people, I have faith in Fallout 3, in benifit of a doubt, I'm giving them the ok, my honest opinion, I would rather have Bioware doing the game. But thats not going to happen so were gonna move on.
    I kinda hate that people are saying Fallout 3 is gonna be First-Person. As ES are completely different, same with Arcanum. Each using different rules and systematics. Even if a game is using the same engine, as usual it can be modified to suit the proper gameplay. I'm a fan of the game series, but unlike alot of people I find it selfish to just want the game in TBS. I would rather have an option, for myself and to allow other people to enjoy the game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

If presented in a clean, easy to understand, and well-tuned manner, I have no doubt that a casual player (read: someone who's never played Fallout 1 or 2) could enjoy a turn-based system. Contrary to the very popular opinion, most people are generally intelligent individuals who can appreciate a good game, regardless of its play style.

11. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Fall 2008!

Why the crap do they even bother with a trailer now?
    All this drool for nothing NOTHING!

I never played the first two, but they seem like my kinda game

12. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Ya, I'm not attacking anyones intelligence, but rather their play style. Depends on the persons prefrence, Real-Time combat or Turned-Base, either play-style doesnt effect ones intelligence. As in Real-Time you'd have to act out your decision in the moment, not as in Chess where you plan your moves.
    Its not a question of intelligence but of play style. I prefer both imho, and I think it would be selfish to not allow a choice.

In all honesty, Combat never made Fallout.

Knight go buiy it, download it, or something JUST F*!!*@&! PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Pops in the 10 year old disc* ahhh -=)

13. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

The guys at Bethesda revealed some more info on the game.

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

GEEV MEEEE FALLLOUUUTUTUTUTUTUTTTTTTT!!@31295-u*(_&*%^#%&%)$

Please?

Oh, and screw Bioware. The REAL people who should've made Fallout 3 would be Obsidian Entertainment, previously known as Black Isle Studios. Different organization, same people, same creativity.

EDIT:
    *the above was not a reference to piracy of the original Fallout or Fallout 2. I've got plenty of access to those. This is meant as an appeal to Bethsoft to do shit RIGHT. Damnit. I want my Fallout fix. WITH POLYGONS!*

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I miss Black Isle... :cry: