Experiment with unlimited infantry ammo

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Feb 16, 2012.

?

Should we experiment with unlimited infantry ammo?

1. I always vote for the first option on polls because thinking is too much work for me.

33.3%
  2. Yes.

23.8%
  3. No.

81.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Since the Devs are going to be experimenting with limited tank ammunition, why not see how things change with unlimited infantry ammunition? I'm not suggesting we change things this way forever, but it would be fun to try for a few rounds. There was a little discussion about it here, which is much more than I can cram into one post. And it's Chris0132's idea, I just think it merits it's own thread.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is balance, some primary weapons are balanced for limited ammo, nothing around that but rebalance them

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

That's what experimenting is for, we don't really know how exactly this will affect gameplay. It's not so much a problem as an opportunity to explore game balance a little more. Besides, limited ammunition only applies some of the time currently due to Engineer's infinite ammo boxes. And we can always still have limited ammunition on some of the more powerful weapons.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

/facepalm

while you are at it, also remove reloading.

and dieing, dieing is boring too ...

... you know what. replace the game with the sound of slot machines and display "you got a point".

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Fuck off

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

While we're at it, let's implement unlimited tickets.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Unlimited tricksters

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just noticed 'trickster' is 'ticket r res.' Wait a minute...

EMPIRES 3.30, TICKETS TURN INTO RES. IT'S IN HIS NAME. IT'S IN HIS NAME!

You're all sheep.

9. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Unreal Tournament ftw.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Massive idiot spotted.

Mines, mortqrs, pistol ammo, behr and bear nfar and the hm fucking gs....

11. Reznov

Reznov Member

While we're at it we should make nukes homing, just imagine the exciting chase of the NF CV. 100 Nukes following his ass.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But trickster, we have to TEST EVERYTHING...

13. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Make them slow as a scout sneaking with hide, also make them fly around all obstructions. But most importantly switch nuke mls sound with the sound of a chainsaw.

14. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I love you too. :|ove:

It's funny how eager everyone is to instantly think about how this could go wrong, or just throw around insults, than to actually discuss it. Even Chris, the one who came up with the idea and was supporting it in the other thread, voted no. Did I miss the part where everyone decided to arbitrarily hate me, or does everyone put on their troll helmets whenever a few people start making shit posts in a thread? :pathetic: Hey, since you're not going to actually talk or even think about the idea here, why not explain why?

15. Demented

Demented Member

When riflemen cost resources, we can talk unlimited ammo.

Seriously, it boils down to riflemen. And maybe scouts.
    Unlimited frag/smoke spam: Pain in the ass.
    Unlimited rifle/smg2 spam: Pain in the ass.

Those abilities need to be strong so that they can outweigh the engineer's strengths. Make them unlimited and it becomes a game of 'spawncamp the enemy barracks'.

Grenadiers, on the other hand, are already balanced on the assumption that they have infinite ammo. They might as well, given how long it takes for them to dispense a full stock of ammunition.

16. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Have grenades and similar stuff, like mines, still be limited. Either they have to be resupplied by ammo boxes or you get another grenade after a (long) time delay. Duh! Balancing this kind of change is pathetically easy, weapons would obviously still have limited clip sizes and need to reload. The "Experiment" part is seeing if it helps make the game more fun.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no aaaaaa50, weapon x autorefills but weapon y doesnt is too random. it might be easy to understand why pistols might have unlimited ammo. this actually might be no bad thing, ive been running around completely dry very often - as mayama said, if you play serious, its only ammo that limits your destructive potential.

also a, noone hates you, just your suggestion.

oh the joy running around as human mine layer ... what stops you from constantly dropping mines behind you when you go from a->b?
    not that it assume that it will pay off that much, but it should get you some random kills anyway, especially on confined maps and those with small infantry only passages (think SoF). no need to conserve them anymore when you go after a comm ...

... yes ofc i wished id have a mine more countless times. but i always was my fault not conserving them ...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  18. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

tl;dr

I want my unlimitted Sticky Bombs. Can now sticky people's faces without needing to bother wether a tank comes around the corner the next moment or not.

19. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Off topic but not, give the nf apc a second seat comparable to the BE APC. Then we could all drop mines on the run. :)

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I said you could probably change it and it would work, I didn't say I thought it would be a necessary change.

Ultimately I just don't think it'd make much difference, it'd streamline the game, but you'd also get people complaining about it because they can't comprehend the idea of infinite ammo and not assume it makes the game terrible, even if it wouldn't.

Like I said in the other thread, for most situations you have infinite ammo anyway, and changing it would require some valid explanation of why you have infinite ammo, and while the change itself would be easy, the explanation would require work we can't afford, so I don't see the point in changing it.

MAYBE you could change grenades to work on the 'low cap, but perpetual regen' principle, to alleviate spam but keep them in use, that would actually change the game because grenade spam is the standard method of getting any sort of building destruction done, but you'd also need to change how repairing works otherwise raxes would be impossible to destroy, so again, probably not worth doing.

I wasn't arguing that we need infinite infantry ammo, I was arguing that 'infinite ammo = noob casual console lame no skill' is a dumb idea.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012