Error Report/Fix: Internal Driver error at present and memory could not be read

Discussion in 'Support' started by Phantom, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Phantom

Phantom Member

This issue combination caused me a lot of grief and prevented me from playing for 6 months. So I'm posting this potential fix in case it may help other community members.

My system:
    Windows xp home (32-bit)
    CPU: Athlon X2 toledo @2.2Ghz
    GPU: ATI X1800XL
    Memory: 2GB DDR 400

Primary Screen Resolution 1920x1080
    In Game-Settings:
    all low, everything disabled.

Avg Framerate: 22fps
    Usual Low: 9 Usual High: 30

Issue: The issue was a combination of the following:
    This issue started with the 2.27 patch and continued through 2.31

1. Internal driver error at present: Occurred first, but once that was resolved ->
    2. Memory cannot be read at (insert location here).

Now the process to resolve the primary internal driver error issue here will depend upon your particular machine, but what eventually worked for me.

1. Uninstall your current video drivers -> Install the latest video drivers.
    Did not resolve my issue standalone (I actually reverted to an older driver in the end because ATI's legacy drivers have issues detecting my chipset.

2. Increase paged pool memory through the registry:
    a. Check the following: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=150

b.
    Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change the "Value Data" to one of these below:
    (Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal
    192Mb 0c000000 201326592
    256Mb 10000000 268435456
    384Mb 18000000 402653184
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These (by themselves) did not resolve my issue, though tend to resolve this issue standalone.

3. Update DirectX:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Then click on download and run it.

4. Reinstalled Source SDK 2007

5. Reinstall Empires Mod --> then all patches

*6. If still getting the error, then in alter empires launch options:
    Left-click on the Steam tray icon.
    Select "Games".
    Click on the "My Games" tab.
    Right-click on "Empires 2.0".
    Select "Properties".
    Click on the "General" tab.
    Click on the "Set Launch Options" button.
    Put in the text box: -dxlevel 90
    Click "OK"
    Click "Close"

----------------------------------------
    Resolution 6 caused my game to be able to boot most of the time, but it would always start with the wrong resolution and crash everytime i changed maps or changed resolutions once in game with (memory cannot be read...error) So i tried the following.

7. Set launch options: (type the following as needed)
    -dxlevel 90 -w 1920 -h 1080

replacing your monitor resolution with the appropriate characteristics above
    eg -w (your monitors horizontal resolution) -h (your monitors vertical resolution).

This final fix (or the culmination of all of the above) has been running ok crash free for about 3.5 hours as of march 5 2011 @ 1:30am Eastern standard time.

If i forgot one or two of the measures i took, it's due to not having worked on this issue in about 6 months (until i performed the final fixes as of march 5th).

-hope this helps

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Try mat_parallax 0 or mat_parallaxmap 0.