Engines Stalling

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Shinzon, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

All of the engines stall when they loose armor plates; or it seems when they are under fire; even diesel; even though no heat is generated and you can be in the green; but you are sitting duck under fire...

Is this a feature or a bug? because its very annoying

2. Align

Align Member

He did say engines stalling, not tanks overheating.
    I sure hope it's a bug because being unable to move once hit sounds pretty lame.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

There's a modifier for all engines that tells it how much damage it can receive and then it stalls. No one noticed it before because it and overheating never stalled the engine 100% until now. It was always supposed to be a weakness of the 3 phase engine for being so fast.

4. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Engines are great now. Coolant cools, regular overheats and stalls, 3 phase is fast but stalls, and that other one doesnt stall. All like it should be.

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

No the actual Hull was perfectly intact; the armor plates themselves were also intact; and yet ALL of the engines would start to stall when under the MG fire; even Bio diesel...

The guys ingame said that its because the armor plates are getting ripped off; but I have never noticed anything like this before...

6. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

As i suggested in an other thread already, plz remove stalling for any kind of hit that is only reducing armor. You may have stalling if your tank health is reduced by a hit, but it makes no sence to have a stalling engine in the case the armor took all the damage.
    In current release your engine stalls even if the shot only removed some armor. If you want to balance engines this is a really bad way to do so, cause any player will think that the controls for tanks are bugged.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

This man speaks the truth. As well as only occurring due to hull damage, you should also be given some kind of indicator (sound or hud icon) which tells you that you've stalled.

Bio diesel should also be much more resilient to stalling than it is currently, that being the USP of that engine type.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That stalling is just enormous. People were using HE MG (or bio/plasma/AP mg) on money and I was instantly stalled after 1st shot. If anyone likes this feature at all then add a message ("engine stalled") and adjust the modifiers because being stuck after 1 shot from mg isn't fun.

Also the stalling has weird description in scripts.

9. Align

Align Member

yes, lets make it so you cant shoot if youre not standing next to someone
    It promotes teamwork!

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Ooo, had a thought.

Special sounds for stalled engines, like grinding gears, boiling radiators, whines, abnormal knocks and whirs?

Might be amusing.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would rather hear a sexy female voice....

"GOD DAMN ENGINE STALLED!"

Wana do that Dee?

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yeah, they'll get stalled by one APC/tank. :P

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No, you know what happens? I ask for help...and by the time I'm done asking, I'm dead.

Remove stalling for crying out loud. I was wondering why I wasn't able to move when being hit. Now I know.

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

rampantandroid: Did you actually see irony sign? (";)")

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I would love that. When engine overheats there would be some sort of boiling radiator or whining and stuff. When engine stalls there would be some sort of sound which indicates that engine has hard time to run and keep up the RPMs and so on.

So awesome idea. I like this big time.

16. Align

Align Member

Maybe like in GTA3 where you can hear incessant rattling when your car is seriously damaged?

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

If we've got an auditory warning for locked missiles, why not for stalled engines?

I admit, finding the proper sound may be difficult. I offer forth what little capability I have to record the sound of my van's shitty-ass engine. Supposing I can record it.

18. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I had a stalling engine when taking no heat. I'm guessing that's not a good thing lol.

19. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I tested it few days ago on money with eth0. He had APC with bio mg. I had AFV with regen armor and bio diesel engine. I was totally stalled after 4-5 shots from bio mg. When I used plain armor the bio mg usually destroyed my AFV in no time. With reflective armor I was stalled after 2-3 shots and even after getting some throttle I was stalled for 1 s again.

Krenzo already said that it needs adjustments (will be changed).

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

It is even worse with 3 phase; and APC can literly be stalled and killed by a single tank; giving it no chance to retreat