Engineer half walls

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by flatmush, Jan 6, 2008.

1. flatmush

flatmush Member

You could make the engineer walls 1/3rd of the size initially, then make them upgradeable to full walls by the engineer who built it kind of like the turrets are but without requiring a skill.

Pros:
    -Other engineers can't fully build a wall you intended only to be for cover and block your line of fire.
    -Short walls could build quicker and provide a good way to build a bunker.
    -The wall models have just been redone so I imagine making a smaller version would take little effort.
    -They would be harder for tanks to kill.
    -On maps where engineer walls are restricted (namely district), the smaller versions could be allowed but not upgraded, so they provide cover but don't block passages.
    -They could be used as effective protection for turrets to shoot over without the fear that another player will build the wall and block the turret.

Cons:
    -Can already be done with normal walls at the moment.
    -Added complexity.

Other ideas:
    -The smaller walls could be slightly ramped in one direction to make a 1 way gate for vehicles.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I approve this message

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would like a wall section which is dedicated as a cover piece for infantry. One which will cover most of your body but not obstruct your shots while you crouch.

4. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

this may also remove the feature where on destruction unbuilt walls leap out of the ground before breaking into bits

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Locking walls is better, more flexible than this. what if you decide you later want to build up, or what if you want to make "stairs", or any other size than 1/3 built. What about when you're not at the area, and your team really needs to build the walls to protect an APC.

I can see this as a solution to people building your walls the wrong height, but not as good a solution as wall hieght locking.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

after thinking about it, locking walls sounds better. I hope that com walls can be locked too. altho that would require omni-lock so that any engy on same team can change it.

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I often by accident end up "E" building those walls.. and then I cant shoot over them

8. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

I much rather have the walls locked. I remember I once built this tank fort, I defended against waves of tanks, however some guy built up the wall blocking my view. A few minutes later, the enemy engineers tore down our walls and let their tank buddies through.

9. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I hate it when I drop a cover wall so I can lob grenades at a turret, then some body else comes up, while I'm obviously throwing grenades over the wall and builds it on me. ARG!
    A locking feature would be much appreciated.

10. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I second that, and for the same reason. If you right-click on the wall, there should be a padlock icon beside the recycle one.

11. Slamz

Slamz Member

I support locking of walls.

I also, incidentally, would support the creation of an engineer "stair" structure, which is the size of a wall segment but slopes up from one side to the other so we can actually create an easy ramp up.

12. Adrian Calhoun

Adrian Calhoun Member

While as I love being an engineer and I agree with the locking ability, I see one very tiny problem, so just to play devils advocate here and show a small con, Suppose an engineer decides to build a line of walls for a base, then locks them all from other engineers and then just builds them himself to hog the points for building them to himself. This would prevent the teamwork of multiple engineers from helping eachother and they would become very self-centered than team players, even if only on a minor scale.

Okay, Im done with the devils advocate thing. I really like and give my support for this idea, despite the rant above.

13. flatmush

flatmush Member

I doubt anyone would be sad or bored enough to build walls to gain a score, and even if they did they could just keep building and recycling, besides comm build walls wouldn't be blockable I'd assume.
    I hadn't though of a locking feature but that idea seems far more sane than what I though of.

14. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I don't think you get points from building your own walls. Least, I never do...

15. Adrian Calhoun

Adrian Calhoun Member

Yeah, you get the points, or at least I did when I built my engineer walls. Just like building your own turrets and radars, you get points for your walls too, and I have used these at times to get points and ranks quicker and easier at the beggining of a round while providing the base some early defense agaist the enemy. I usually base build, then relocate to the front unless order otherwise by my comm. This can be an easy 3-5 points for an engineer to get, and thats just off the walls for me. Add a turret and an infantry radar, that becomes 5-7 points with little effort from me. Then, build some base structures and hey presto, your at a higher new rank with another skill to get.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You don't get points for building engineer placeables.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

commanders would be able to lock and unlock all walls.