[ENGINEER] Bridges and you

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by zenarion, Jun 17, 2009.

1. zenarion

zenarion Member

What if Engineers could build bridges in a similar way to them building walls?
    They count towards the same resource, and look similar.
    Bridge blocks can only be built on water brushes, to prevent engies from blocking off other things with them.
    These bridges are the same strength as walls, but allow for vehicle passage over water.

This will actually make engineers do what they do in real life armies: change terrain.
    If this is a working suggestion, it could be possible to replace the emp_slaughtered bridge with this.

2. Rolsen

Rolsen Member

I agree, engineers should be able to build much more...
    Actually, I'm gonna go brainstorming on this one and get back later with more ideas to that.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its a nice idea in a way, but wouldn't make this the engineer even more like chuck norris?

i like it though, i dont really see how you would be able to place it otherwise then just having it be a "wall" like prop being placed on water only and having the engineer place the start at one side, then swimming to the other side and placing the end

also how would it be guaranteed that vehicles can always drive on it? because depending on the water levels the bridge will start higher or lower to the beach

4. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

make it so that the code only allows placement of the walls on the very top of the water brush, same as how walls now can only be placed on land and not in mid air or something. use a wall on the horizontal as a placeholder.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Bridges no, other constructables in general: possibly.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It sounds good, but...yeah it's kinda finicky. With engineers able to build different things, it has to be taken into account by the map maker. So it would probably be cut down to "only on this type of ground" or "only at these kinds of level places" etc...otherwise it just kinda gets abusable.

I'm up for other things, though...depending what you come up with.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I think it would be cool for an engineer to be able to spawn a bridge like object with, say, the F menu.

I bet you could even implement something like this with smod, simply create a prefab bridgeish building for the engineer to spawn with a give or ent_create command that is triggered with something like !nfbridge or something.

8. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yes, that is what waas thinking. Slightly wider than walls, so that at least the lighter vehicles can pass over them.
    Sabotaging a bridge could make it break when pressure s appled to it, when a vehicle travels over it. Otherwse, the bridges could be destroyed by the usual means.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hmm... ya I really like this idea. Dropping the bridge shouldn't be too hard really. The code only needs to detect the start, middle, and end of the bridge and change the model to be dropped to reflect this.

Engineer gets close to water and selects from his calc menu bridge.

<the code detects that engy wants to start a bridge and shows a start/end model if there is a shore close enough>

Engineer drops it and needs to build it so he can drop another part of the bridge. When finished the engineer then goes to the edge of the last dropped part and selects bridge again.

<code detects how far away from shore and decides whether to show end bridge model or extension of bridge model and locks the bridge model together so we don't end up with "L" or "S" shaped bridges>

Engineer drops it and continues... etc etc.

The ends should taper downwards under the map a tad so that tanks can get on the bridge no matter the terrain.

Thats my idea of the bridge :)

edit... ohh ohh and no guard rails so fail drivers can fall off for epic lolz

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

or just make the engineer select it and click at the start and click at the end on the other shore and the code does the rest...

11. ba'al

ba'al Member

THis suggestion wouldn't change much of gameplay, since the only maps with significant water masses are cyclopean and slaughtered.And since slaughtered has a buildable bridge already...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Mvalley would make a fairly big difference. I'm sure there are more, though.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You mean have the dude swim across as if to drop walls?

I duno... just doesn't sound good. The way I suggested has the guy building one piece at a time. dropping the whole bridge then building it up sounds as gimicky as the current way of dropping a huge line of walls out of thin air. Not to bring the conversation to realism but dropping something that big instantly I would rather reserve to the com.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If bridges were to be included, the obvious way to me is to have it detect the surface of the water for determining where you can place segments, also possibly with a depth limiter so that you can't start them other than on shallow banks. When you select the start of the bridge, it automatically shoots a trace to the other shore across the surface of the water and spawns segments along it, with a maximum distance limiter.

Then either you build up one segment at a time, or you build the whole thing at once, segments would be better from a construction perpsective but may be fiddly to repair.

15. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Rather have a tank or some kind of vehicle that builds bridges.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why? What's the point in a tank that only exists to build bridges?

17. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

we can make the jeep do that

PROBLEM SOLVED

also, fuck this water only shit, it will only lead to this feature not being used at all, besides, who DOESN'T want to see tanks go over the walls in say, cyclopean

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Er, me.

Because it'd look even more silly than bridges.

19. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

a bridge going from the ground to the wall is silly? what

20. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Why bridges? We need ramps!
    Same function. Much more lols.