Engine Revamp

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Angry, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I think non-vanilia engines could use abit of a revamp, here's my idea:

Coolant: Very quick heat disipation allowing you to easily sustain continued fire without fear of overheating. standard heat resistance. (In short no change)

3-Phase electric: Not much change, fastest engine, slow heat dissipation lower than average heat resistance.

Bio-Diesel: Above average heat resistance, slightly quicker than average heat dissipation, Keeps is extremely high horsepower. Just above standard in speed. Does not stall completely when overheated.

Gas Turbine: Standard heat dissipation, high heat resistance meaning any shots you take or receive cause only half the heat they normally do making Plasma and high heat causing weaponry much less effective but when overheated it takes the same amount of time as a standard engine to recover.

Fission: slightly Higher than average speed, slightly lower than normal heat dissipation, standard heat resistance, can move 60% of top speed when overheated instead of the normal 10% (You still can't return fire until after it's cooled down).below average horsepower

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

don't forget gas turbine; i don't know what that's good for. Broccoli summarized everything in the wiki,

3-phase: Apparently, because of the turn speed balancing that keeps tanks from spinning out, the 3 phase is not very fast at all. That needs changed.

bio: i don't know what kind of change here, but SOMETHING is needed. What you propose is as good as anything else, afaik. Currently it's only useful for zipping in, overheating, and running away, while overheated.

Fission: I'm not sure I understand you when you say overheated- do you mean stalled? I don't really know how the engine mechanics work, I do know that ALL engines but bio completely stop when stalled, and i don't think this should change because that's what makes bio unique. All I know for sure is that fission heats up like a toaster oven right now, and b/c of this is rather useless.

turbine: can someone explain to me what good is high horsepower-- able to climb steep hills and whatnot? Seems to me that after all the other engines are balanced, turbine should be made into a jack-of-all-trades engine, good overall but not excelling in any one area.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  3. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

idk if that's possible to do without spinning out. If you can make the 3phase turn at full speed without pulling a 360, great, go for it. If not, then some other way to boost it's speed.

4. picard131

picard131 Member

I agree totally with Angry. After almost a year of playing, I still only know two things about engines:

1) Standard Engine sucks
    2) 3 Phase on tanks = generally not fun

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

The speed limiting works only with tank engines (in other words in tanks). picard you're playing too short to compare 1.08 3phase with 1.07 but you're right: 3phase in tanks in 1.08 is not fun at all. (it's possible that you're playing longer but you didn't use 3phase at all in 1.07 LOL)

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

In my opinion engines are fine now though I haven't got time to test new fission engine.

7. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^so would you say every engine is roughy researched the same % of the time? that is the true test of balance.

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I have seen bio diesel 40% of the time and coolant 60% of the time when we compered between those two.

Recently what I have seen, the research goes something like this: Fission engine 1%, Gas Turbine engine 14%, 3-Phase engine 20%, Bio Diesel Engine 28%, Advanced Coolant 37%.

Normally people go in the start either for Bio Diesel or Coolant. In my opinion they get them quite equally because Bio Diesel is extremely fast to get and you can drive even you are overheated. Advanced coolant engine takes time to research but after long wait you'll get best engine in the game by cooling rate. Then they go either for 3-Phase or Gas Turbine because with Gas Turbine you get composite armor fast and 3-Phase is good engine because it is very fast.

People don't get Fission engine almost at all because it is rather expensive to get, it hasn't been that good and researching it doesn't give you anything else to research for the early game. Even Reflective armor is under the same Physics tree, I still prefer getting Bio diesel with Refletive armor instead of Fission engine with Reflective armor.

9. Scikar

Scikar Member

I've been through the scripts and updated the wiki page to reflect what I found. The fission engine is a fair bit better than its description would imply, as it offsets the heat generation with high dissipation, making it actually a very good engine if you're not moving much. It also doesn't provide high horsepower at all, but instead the lowest of all except standard. It does however have a high top speed.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

I believe it was changed just a week or so before release, and the description hasn't been updated.

11. Scikar

Scikar Member

Ah, that makes sense. It's done now on the wiki anyway.

12. pedro0930

pedro0930 Member

I still don't understand what does horsepower means in terms of gameplay.
    Does it mean you accelerate faster? Can climb more sloped hill or something?

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes, though it doesn't matter much anymore.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

heres an example. in 1.071b horsepower sucked on standard engines. until you got a engine with better horse power, you could hardly climb hills.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

HARDLY climb hills?

How about COULDN'T climb hills!