Engine Restructuring

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by CobaltBlue, Mar 3, 2009.

1. AzureDrake

AzureDrake Member

Fission has advantages, it's a fast engine, but unlike 3 phase it isn't so prone to stalling when you take hull damage (a major disadvantage of 3 phase). It's not great at cooling, but it's much better than bio diesel.

I do think fission and gas turbine are poorly balanced (gas turbine is worse in my opinion).

I think the structure of how they laid things out makes balancing problematic. There are just so many factors that go into balancing, especially with weapons. The research tree it's in could make a difference simply because if an armor/engine/weapon is good enough, and it's right next to the other stuff you want to research well then that saves you time in researching and is therefore an advantage.
    In addition with weapons you have to consider that mgs are hit-scan and therefore much easier to aim and hit your target. That's an advantage. Missiles are slow and hard to aim, a disadvantage. Cannons are a little more easy to aim than dumb fire missiles since they're faster, but they're not hit-scan, you still have to lead your shots and adjust elevation for distance.
    There are just so many different factors that go into balancing these things, I can see why it would be difficult.

On the other hand, if we start cutting back on the number of factors then there will be less to differentiate weapons/engines/armor from each other, and therefore no point in having variety.

If we're really going to get rid of stuff though I have another idea. Instead of getting rid of the engine, just have it not be an engine. Have it be some sort of global upgrade that applies to all your vehicles. Or make an additional upgrade slot, so that way the driver has to choose one of several upgrades and can't have them all, even if they're researched.

So for instance, advanced coolant could just be adding advanced coolant to an existing engine. It improves the cooling for any engines you get. And three phase motors improve the speed of any engine, no matter which engine it is. Then for actual engines there would just be standard, gas turbine, bio diesel, and fission reactor. On their own they would be not much of an upgrade, but with the buffs they would improve.
    That way we can still maintain a lot of variety in research. You'd still have to take the time to research and spend the money to get these upgrades.

2. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Thank goodness. I was wondering what those numbers related to in real world driving. A pity gears aren't being utilized more.

I would be careful. You might be buffing gas turbine a little too much.

Something else to take into account is what else is researchable in the same tree. For example, in Physics, you tend to have many high heat weapons already so making the engine also generate huge amounts of heat could be a problem. Granted, you've tried to account for this with pretty decent cooling is standing still. That subtlty might be missed on some, though, and they won't take advantage of the stop, cool, shoot, run unless this feature is made obvious.

3. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I would argue that physics is currently worse off because it cuts off and dies when the high heat weapons hit maximum. After experimentation I have found that it can remain fairly mobile with decent firepower.

Do you know if other players can join a server with altered numbers? I would expect as much but do not know. I would like to test out how I believe some of these would work out, but am uncertain if anyone would be able to join.

You might be right about the gas turbine, but it is already among the most out of the way and longest to research engines. I will look into doing further testing later. After turning to less extreme numbers certain trends seemed to go away, but that might just be because I am being oblivious.

4. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I feel bad about double posting, but I feel I should correct myself.

Let us have the equation
    K=MIN(0, (Current Heat-Enginestall Heat)/(1-EngineStall Heat))
    K is equal to the percent reduction of normal vehicle stats
    so (1-K)=The current multiplier for normal heat generation and horsepower

Maximum speed remains unaffected.

What this means is many-fold. An engine can be designed to be very powerful to begin with and rapidly decrease in quality (but also heat generation), and an engine can, if unusual numbers are used, generate reasonably high levels of heat normally, up until a point where it now generates significantly lower levels of heat than most other engines. If the engine stall negator is kicked in, it can have these attributes while driving normally most the time.

The reason I did not notice this earlier is because horsepower influences are minimal after you have already started moving, especially if you do not fire guns often to test.

Based off of this I believe that it would be ideal for 3-phase to gain an overall buff to all speed related aspects, but begin taking reductions from heat from zero. This would cause it to be the best run and hit engine, but the worst hit and run engine. Currently it is just the fastest one both ways because of the minimal difficulty it has in keeping heat at tolerable levels, and even when it does not do this the heat has sufficiently little effect that it is still better off than many engines.

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

If the devs were that stupid.... oh gawd.

Probably it can be blocked using the consistency check. If it's 'wrong' you'll just download a new one.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

You can join a server with different values but it won't effect anything. You used to be able exploit a glitch with the system and make tanks with -armor that gave money.