Empiresmod on Linux

Discussion in 'News' started by Tama, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Someone just asked me what's taking so long, so I thought I'd post an update on how Empiresmod on Linux is coming along.

So far, I can play on linux for hours on end without crashing - so I'm not sure if it is more stable than windows, but it's pretty stable. I've tried it on 2 machines (Ubuntu 12.10 and Debian 9); and I've even done steam streaming, with one machine on windows hosting the game, and the other, on Ubuntu 12.10 streaming from it; both keyboards and mice work simultaneously, it's a pretty cool steam feature!

There were two big problems I've fixed so far; (1) all the textures were missing due to filename casing inconsistencies. (2) At first, it just wouldn't run at all because of missing libraries - this is mostly why I need to test on many machines, to get clean installs running smoothly as well.

There's still one really big issue for me - I even switch back to Windows to avoid it, sometimes, may god save my soul! When in command view, rotating the view is sometimes incredibly choppy; or it hits objects it shouldn't - the command view is practically unusable on linux at the moment, and I don't know why. I plan to pretty much just write completely new commandview logic that will eventually replace the hack we use now, which places your actual body in the air - this is why we've never succeeded in making the commview noclip through buildings, and is presumably still legacy code from before the switch to Source 2013 - in any case, the source engine has support for multiple viewports, so I plan to dive into that and see what works.

Ranger likes this.
  2. Tama

Also, I plan to release the linux client and server with 2.9.0 - there's already instructions on the wiki for installing the server on linux, but I think they won't work until we release this.

Then, hopefully after a lot of testing and fixes, I will publicize the linux version more with the next release, and people can expect a decent, stable version for linux :)

The thing I wasn't sure about is about releasing the current state in 2.9.0, even though the comm view has that issue; I think yes, because we need MOAR testers, but on the other hand, a player on linux might jump into the comm vehicle and find it... rather lacking... and conclude that Empiresmod commanding is always that shitty. Or, people might forever remember that the linux client sucks, even after I fix that issue. Meh, probably not worth worrying about.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm scared. what if the linux users rise up and over throw us.
    Pretty cool dude

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

Put a message in for the linux players when they get into comm view stating that the experience might be subpar but that almost the only thing you're currently working on is fixing it so linux players can rule the battlefield. That will probably make them even smile a little :P
    Also great that you're working on a linux client. Empires, Civilization 5&6 and (a more comprehensive ) .NET Core is all I need. Over the past few months every little thing that was keeping me from switching to linux (again) has been resolved and this last one thing will make me switch entirely, with the desktop, I think.

5. Tama

I deleted an irrelevant argument between Caelo and blizzard, started by a drunken post that didn't make sense. This thread is for the linux client, to be released on saturday.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Released Saturday? Dang.

Suggestion, and I hope you don't blow this off because you currently have a very very very big opportunity to advertise. Wait until 2.9 is done and ready to go and release the Linux client with 2.9.

Then, COMPLETELY OVERHAUL the store page. It currently is showing pretty old photos, even including the old NF barracks. Plus, it should be showing some of the better looking newer maps so that it entices people who also want some form of "looks" in the games. Also, some gameplay on there as well of some firefights, or tank fights, or even the com vehicle. Hell, we should get the best sounding person in the community to do a voice over with the "background" story over some cool fire fights explaining why they fight.

Personally, I suggest you hold some sort of "Contest" for new user submitted screenshots to post up there along with new videos that have some sort of voice over hyping the game up to get people to play. From the looks on the store after seeing many other newer games I would NOT want to play it.

But anyway, back to the update, brand this as a "major" update with a new banner across the logo saying "Now supports Linux" so that way, just maybe, it can be on the front page of steam along with a changelist of all the script changes.

Do this again when the TD is done, only make it even bigger for NEW CONTENT, people love new stuff.

7. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I would like to maybe try and test linux and empires with the linux client but how exactly do i run it. I cant exactly make a dual-boot right now and good luck running linux on a virtual machine and make it run fast without parts for your PC made for VMs.

Also yeah, im planning to maybe dual boot linux in the future and maybe make it my main OS.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i run linux from a usb flash drive, anything installed is on the harddisk of the computer.