Empires websites have moved servers

Discussion in 'News' started by CyberKiller, Oct 25, 2014.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Unable with the current financial budget of 0.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Ask Mr. Cash bags, aka Tricky, aka Dickster, aka Trickster?

Really though, how much we talking?

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Wise investment.
    Thank you for supporting this giant crap factory.

4. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Well upgrading vbulletin would cost $250 a year (and pirated versions often have back doors in them)....
    Which would be silly, when there are lots of free forum software like SMF out there.
    But this forum software still works, and it would be a lot of effort to make a new forum so this forum stays as it is.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Upgrading to a new VBulletin would (as Cyberkiller mentioned) mean an ongoing subscription of $250/year, not to mention a substantial amount of work in actually moving the forums. We'd need a totally new theme creating and a shit tonne of other things. It's just not worth it.

And while legally speaking we shouldn't even be using this forum version without paying a subscription, at least it's an older version where they won't come chasing. I don't have any real issue with $250/year, given the box already costs nearly $3k per year, and that's before we start taking into account domains and whatnot. I just don't see any advantage to be gained from upgrading the forum software when we have so few users. If we were rocking over 200 active users then I might consider it.

6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

7. McGyver

Trickster probably has some crazy Xeon with highest imaginable single core speed since that is what Empires devours.

8. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

$ = Dollar Sign.
    £ = Pound sign.
    € = Euro sign.

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

USD
    EUR
    GBP

:|ove:

10. McGyver

3000$ = 2360€ / 12 = 197€ per month

11. Trickster

Pretty much. Plus I've had much cheaper servers with similar specifications with the same bandwidth - in theory. In reality, the quality of the internet connection on these servers caused pretty huge problems. If anyone remembers the first year of EPIC server, it was pretty unplayable. It's necessary to pay a premium and go with a "gaming" host who essentially guarantees your line quality.

Because that's generally what's expensive - the internet connection. This includes the speed, the traffic limitations and above all, the guaranteed quality of the connection.

Also, German servers were never on the table as I didn't want to be too far from the US. Given the position of our box at the moment, a sub-100 ping is possible for people in the NYC area, which is what I was hoping to achieve.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Wait... I thought the subscription fees for forum software was just so you get help and new versions. When you stop paying, those things stop but, your free to keep using what you have.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

That is indeed the case. Still, the problem is having to somehow port over this LTL version to a legit version.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Newer versions of vbulletin have call home code in them that checks if the license is active.

15. Trickster

Yeah if the license isn't active, they can take action against you to either force you to stop using it, or get a license.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

This is legal. I paid for a lifetime license, not a subscription.

17. Trickster

I've never heard of a life license, but I just googled it and they are a thing. Can we still get that for VB5? I'm checking their site and it says that the support for the forum version is for life, but it's only a 1-year license. I don't really get it to be honest.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You get updates for 1 year, but you can run the forum forever. The other option is to lease it which is cheaper, but then you can't run it anymore if you let the subscription expire.

19. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Just saying, the "Forums" link of the Empiresmod.com still leads to the old non-functional site.

20. Trickster

This URL is only temporary. We're moving the domain over at the moment, it'll take a few days.