Empires video quality on youtube

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Silk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

There's bad news btw. The exact same settings don't always get nearly the same result. Some videos when put online still look bad. Also i uploaded a 50 minute (complete) match to youtube in 1080p, but it only allows for a 720p replay. They must have a limitation i went past.

2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

You tube re-rips the video and the resolutions show up as they are completed. So check back later and the 1080p may be there.

YOU may know this already:
    http://www.ifunia.com/youtube-column/best-youtube-video-format.html

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

I gave it 40 hours, i'm not waiting longer than that :)

4. Neoony

Neoony Member

Didnt read the whole thread but I get a lot better performance recording with DXtory with Lagarith loseless codec...here is a tutorial for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6YAoai8fQ

Was unable to record 1080p with fraps or msi afterburner (FPS less than 30)
    But with DxTory I have no problem getting 30 FPS

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

Could be interesting, i'll check it out

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

I did this video by that method but only 720p....the file that I uploaded was about 5,6 GB...but it looks really good (better than I thought it will)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgddQjpaaKE

btw silk, make space in your PM inbox....the pass you needed is "sccrim"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

DxTory may be good for high performance, quad core machines. I still have a dual core 1.8 Ghz system that works perfectly well with Fraps. DxTory caused the screen to jump frame continuously, it was not smooth. I know the issue is the CODEC, but since it did not solve the MIX sound issue and it recorded no sound at all on my system, I have no reason to continue with it since FRAPS works so well. I just have to spend some time on the sound issue which is well documented on various places on the internet.

Also FRAPS quality is excellent, so no complaints there, but DxTory did seem to be more configurable. It may suit your needs and it's a quick test to validate how it worked.

One more issue with DxTory. Once I installed it and started recording, every time I pressed the AWSD keys for movement my speakers would beep. I had to uninstall DxTory, and restart Steam.

8. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Neoony, that right there is a training course on how to be a great Gren. Very nice contribution and it should be posted in Silk's main thread under Gren Training.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thank you :rolleyes:
    You made my already good day even better :D

Second round is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tTm9B-hEg&feature=youtu.be <---- need to fix ingame sound and disable resampling so wait for fix

BTW I had to do some stuff for dxtory to work properly, like allowing it everywhere in my firewall/antivirus (in any antirootkit or whatever settings) and also disabling in-game steam community or it crashes and stuff...and maybe some more stuff that I dont remember...but it was worth it

What version were u using btw?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  10. Neoony

Neoony Member

11. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

The way you managed to get behind Paradox in that match was very clever. Never knew about that before; you taught me something new :D

12. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Dxtory was 2.0.119 [A4]

I didn't play around with it much. I like FRAPS and if Dxtory fixed the sound record issue then I'd be all over it. FRAPS works for me without any mods or messing up game play, so there is no advantage for me to change.

USB 2.0 is about 25 MB a second throughput - not the rated speed, the actual speed you can achieve. That is not fast enough for 1080p ?

My 3 Terabyte external is USB 3.0. Those sell from time to time at about $130.

Anyway - my point for the backup drive is for backup - not streaming. Stream to your HD, edit on HD and use the USB drive for storage. They recently sold USB 3.0 1 Terabyte drives for $35, so cheap storage is available.

Keep the vids coming - WE'RE WATCHING and always looking for opportunity to learn.

Neoony - I learned something very valuable from your vid. When rushing as gren - shoot mortar and quickly change to pistol. That may make a difference in my rushing ability. I also liked your changing seats in the tank when it overheated - to keep the pressure on as Gren. I tend to reload more often than I need, you're more efficient. All those APC rush's you certainly were a big reason they couldn't take North-East. Nicely done - now I won't play against you ! :)

Your ability to lay it where the vehicle is going is scary good. I'd love to see your recording of District. Change your name to Aim-Bot :)

13. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I need an external harddrive to store compressed/rendered files for future use/archive.

Fraps seems to have less of a performance drop than compared to something like ffsplit.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

the hell, even I didnt knew about it...I was improvising XD

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

1080p at 30fps in YUY2/YV12 needs 125/94 MB/s. (Probably uncompressed)

But it all depends on what codec you are using.
    only SSD HD will do the uncompressed YUY2 1080p

This is actually why I cant record full HD with fraps or MSI afterburner.
    In DxTory this is why Lagarith loseless codec is good for me.

What is your HD that you are recording on?
    EDIT: Or even better benchmark your HD in dxtory...(Folder - Add your disc - Benchmark)

Its over about 2000 Hours of practice :D
    Thanks again :)

I will try to make more vids :)

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

At the higher levels, a lot of Empires just comes down to on-the-spot instinct rather than "I will do this". It's also heavily based on playstyle as well. I'd have done things differently than Neoony, but Neoony is a different (and better) Grenadier than I am. But in some circumstances there, I might have got a kill where he didn't. Likewise, in a LOT of circumstances there, he got kills where I wouldn't have stood a chance.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Price update...
    $129 Wonder if the price is dynamic to location they trace me back to.

and ya... USB2... for a 3tb drive... WTF? Why not USB3 or at least throw on an esata... fuck that.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Usb 3.0 is needed for high quality recording. It'd be best to have a HDD in your machine purely dedicated for recording. I'm going to do just that once my birthday strikes.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When I was recording with Dxtory, and compressing/encoding at insane tier levels, to 720p, I took about a 30-40% FPS hit. But that was in Arma 2 where I only had 30-35 FPS to begin with. I imagine that in Empires, I can probably do that with little to no effort. I'll do a test now.

EDIT: It's up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCXpJJ9U51c&feature=youtu.be

20. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

half life 2 seems unforgiving when dealing with non 720 or non 1080p res...

big ass black bars.