empires server installation start to finish

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ghost, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member

UPDATED FOR 2.23!!!!

I have tried to explain this as easy as I can and I even included things I use on my own server. This is for windows install only.

Ok, I am still kind of new to the empires server but with my exp with my css servers here is what I came up with for creating a empires server.

Step 1. Install is basic with hlds update tool, double click on the program and follow the instructions.

Step 2. Next you need to open cmd by clicking start then run the typing cmd and hitting return. Once your cmd is open you need to direct your self to where you begin your server install with the last step. Type cd C:\game\your server
    Example: cd c:\game\empiresserver ---This example is directly from my server your will differ.

Step 3. once directed t your server location enter this command to start the long download of server files.

hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game "orangebox" -dir .

Step 4. Now you can drag the empires folder with all the empires server stuff into the server folder
    example : C:\game\empiresserer is my location where the empires folder gets dropped to.

Step 5. Creating a server.cfg file is simple. open the empires folder and open cfg folder, create a notepad and name it server.cfg and allow it to change file type. Now you can edit the cfg and tell the server what you want it to do.

http://www.wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Server_Cvars

that link has a lot of information for it.

// server name
    hostname "name"

// rcon password
    //be sure to change your rcon password
    rcon_password "pass"

// server cvars
    mp_footsteps 1
    mp_autoteambalance 1
    mp_flashlight 1
    mp_forcecamera 0
    sv_alltalk 0
    sv_pausable 0
    sv_cheats 0
    sv_consistency 1
    sv_allowupload 1
    sv_allowdownload 1
    sv_maxspeed 320
    sv_voiceenable 1
    mp_allowspectators 1
    mp_timelimit 0
    mp_chattime 20
    sv_timeout 65
    mp_falldamage 1
    sv_forcepreload 1

//Empires specific cvars
    emp_sv_kick_commander_penalty 300 //time before a kicked commander can re-enter the command vehicle
    emp_sv_kick_commander_percentage 0.6 //percentage of players on a team that must vote yes to kick the commander
    emp_sv_kick_commander_time 120 //time commander kick vote lasts
    emp_sv_max_buildings 32 //number of buildings (not counting walls) each team can have at any one time
    emp_sv_max_vehicles 7 //number of vehicles each team can have at any one time
    emp_sv_player_refinery_multiplier 12 //number of players that cause an increase in resources produced via refineries (default: 12 means at 12 to 23 players, 1 is added to refinery output, 24 to 35, 2 is added to refinery output
    emp_sv_resource_multiplier_be 1 //number of resources at map start is multiplied by this (Brenodi Empire)
    emp_sv_resource_multiplier_nf 1 //number of resources at map start is multiplied by this (Northern Faction)
    emp_sv_refinery_multiplier 1 //refinery output is multiplied by this
    emp_sv_reinforcement_multiplier_be 1 //number of reinforcements at map start is multiplied by this (Brenodi Empire)
    emp_sv_reinforcement_multiplier_nf 1 //number of reinforcements at map start is multiplied by this (Northern Faction)
    emp_sv_research_complete 0 //set to 1 to have all research tree items unlocked
    emp_sv_research_multiplier 1 //affects research speed, less than 1 is slower, greater than 1 is faster
    emp_sv_respawn_penalty 5 //number of seconds to make players wait to respawn
    emp_sv_refinery_interval 1 //number of seconds between refinery resource generation
    emp_sv_spawn_protection 3 //number of seconds that a player is invincible after spawn

emp_sv_player_minimap_interval 3 //how often the network info required to update the minimap is sent (actually split up into 1/4s and sent at 1/4 intervals of this time)
    emp_sv_vehicle_minimap_interval 6

emp_sv_netvisdist_player 7000 //distance to stop sending player network info to others
    emp_sv_netvisdist_building 12000 //distance to stop sending buildings

// bandwidth rates/settings
    sv_maxrate 0 //this should be altered based on how many players you have, 32+ players requires 30,000 for when everyone is assaulting a base and in the same area
    sv_maxupdaterate 101 //change this to what your tick rate is, I highly implore you to gauge how fast your server is before you try setting 48 max players and running at 66+ tickrate
    sv_minupdaterate 70
    sv_minrate 5000
    sv_unlag 1
    sv_maxunlag 0.5
    decalfrequency 10

//voice
    sv_voicecodec vaudio_speex

// server logging
    log on
    sv_logbans 1
    sv_logecho 0
    sv_logfile 1
    sv_log_onefile 1

// operation
    sv_lan 0
    sv_region 0
    sv_contact

//sourcetv - sourcetv takes up 10 ms per frame of cpu time on average
    //I don't recommend turning it on unless you can spare the cpu cycles
    tv_enable 0
    tv_port 27020
    tv_debug 0
    tv_delay 20
    tv_dispatchmode 1
    tv_maxclients 1
    tv_maxrate 20000
    tv_name "name"
    tv_password ""
    tv_relaypassword ""
    tv_snapshotrate 20
    tv_autorecord 0

//vprof - this is for creating performance logs to find bottlenecks
    vprof_scope_entity_gamephys 1
    vprof_scope_entity_thinks 1
    emp_vprof_record_interval 30
    emp_vprof_start
    echo server.cfg loaded

// execute ban files
    exec banned_user.cfg
    exec banned_ip.cfg

That is directly off my server.

Step 6. Now you need to create a start up shortcut, go to the main dir where empires was installed to. You will see a exe called srcds.exe right click and create a shortcut you may drag to desktop or what ever. Right click on the shortcut and go to properties and at the end of the target location put a space and add this

-console -game empires -autoupdate -port 27001 +maxplayers 20 +exec server.cfg -tickrate 100 +fps_max 999 -heapsize 1048576 +map emp_canyon

that can be edited for your liking.
    -tickrate 33/66/100/101 ------ you choose, stock is 33 and runs the best for this game.
    -heapsize 1048576 ------- adjust to the amount of ram you have o the server. mine is 2 gb.

Step 7. Start server and get people to play and adjust the rates and server parameter's till the server runs at its best.

I recommend using source mod for admin and parachute mod, both of these can be found at metamod.org those mods are easy to install and have there own instructions.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. jongscx

jongscx Member

What are the ideal minimum requirements for a system running this as a server?

3. Ghost

Ghost Member

well that my friend is a good question, and with this game its hard to say. In my opinion a 2ghz processor and about 512 mb ram will run a small server well. You will also need a high amount of bandwidth, but most server rental places are unlimited.

I currently have a dual, dualcore 3.06 ghz and 2 gigs ram and it runs a 20 man 7 tanks per side. and its the only server running on that dedicated with unlimited bandwidth.

4. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

stickied

5. Ghost

Ghost Member

awesome my first sticky here.

6. Empty

Empty Member

I still haven't got one.
    :'(

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Help with Empires Server Plz

Hi I would appreciate some help,
    I rent a CSS server and had my tech support install Empires on another one of their servers.
    Here is the issue:
    when the game starts up, why it doesn't take the server.cfg, or why it has to have a gui interface to get started
    because of this I cannot stop or restart my server and my server.cfg info of server name and rcon disappears from the server.cfg.

Also how to I add the vote for commander and the parachute option?

Can anyone help Please?
    Thank you,
    [VIPER]_Vicki

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Did you use the client files or the server files? You cant use the contents of the client download for the server.

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

We used the server files 2.21 My server is 70.85.45.21:27015 if that helps
    The map just changed and the server name and rcon are gone again now :(

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

IF it was set up, what would the name be?

Edit: Your best bet would be to come on IRC. There are people far better at this than me that can help you in real time. You can use a web-based client at http://gamesurge.net/chat/ and typing "/join #empiresmod" into the chat box.

11. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

[VIPER] Empires Server-Dallas Ok I will Thank you

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

ViperVicki: Kylegar is back on IRC and willing to help you out.

13. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Look for recon. he can help. if he doesnt, post again, and i'll help about 24 hours from now.

14. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

You need to add " -console +map emp_canyon" to the launch parameters of srcds.exe to get rid of that nasty GUI.

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

woohoo thank you! that did the trick no more gui!!, one thing though if you can help for some reason it is not recognizing my rcon in server.cfg file and in server list my server is called Empires 2.2 it is not reading my server name in server.cfg file which is [VIPER] Empires Server-Dallas the path to server.cfg is this .../empiresserver/empires/cfg
    my command line is -game empires +ip 70.85.45.21 -port 27015 +maxplayers 24 +exec server.cfg -console +map emp_canyon

any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Remove the +exec parameter. It isn't needed since the Source engine automatically executes the server cfg file.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, post your full command line, the path to your server config from the SRCDS installation, and your server config (with all passwords REMOVED).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Nope didn't work but ty this is my command line **this server is on a server I rent from a game server company***

C:\27015.21\orangebox\srcds.exe -game empires +ip 70.85.45.21 -port 27015 +maxplayers 24 -console +map emp_canyon
    path to server.cfg this is where it is in my files on my server where I have ftp access
    /70.85.45.21 port 27015/empiresserver/empires/cfg/server.cfg

server.cfg- i copied from a post on this forum (rcon removed)
    // server name
    hostname "[VIPER] Empires Server-Dallas"

// rcon password
    //be sure to change your rcon password
    rcon_password "xxxx"

// server cvars
    mp_footsteps 1
    mp_autoteambalance 1
    mp_flashlight 1
    mp_forcecamera 0
    sv_alltalk 0
    sv_pausable 0
    sv_cheats 0
    sv_consistency 1
    sv_allowupload 1
    sv_allowdownload 1
    sv_maxspeed 320
    sv_voiceenable 1
    mp_allowspectators 1
    mp_timelimit 0
    mp_chattime 20
    sv_timeout 65
    mp_falldamage 1
    sv_forcepreload 1

//Empires specific cvars
    emp_sv_kick_commander_penalty 300 //time before a kicked commander can re-enter the command vehicle
    emp_sv_kick_commander_percentage 0.6 //percentage of players on a team that must vote yes to kick the commander
    emp_sv_kick_commander_time 120 //time commander kick vote lasts
    emp_sv_max_buildings 32 //number of buildings (not counting walls) each team can have at any one time
    emp_sv_max_vehicles 7 //number of vehicles each team can have at any one time
    emp_sv_player_refinery_multiplier 12 //number of players that cause an increase in resources produced via refineries (default: 12 means at 12 to 23 players, 1 is added to refinery output, 24 to 35, 2 is added to refinery output
    emp_sv_resource_multiplier_be 1 //number of resources at map start is multiplied by this (Brenodi Empire)
    emp_sv_resource_multiplier_nf 1 //number of resources at map start is multiplied by this (Northern Faction)
    emp_sv_refinery_multiplier 1 //refinery output is multiplied by this
    emp_sv_reinforcement_multiplier_be 1 //number of reinforcements at map start is multiplied by this (Brenodi Empire)
    emp_sv_reinforcement_multiplier_nf 1 //number of reinforcements at map start is multiplied by this (Northern Faction)
    emp_sv_research_complete 0 //set to 1 to have all research tree items unlocked
    emp_sv_research_multiplier 1 //affects research speed, less than 1 is slower, greater than 1 is faster
    emp_sv_respawn_penalty 5 //number of seconds to make players wait to respawn
    emp_sv_refinery_interval 1 //number of seconds between refinery resource generation
    emp_sv_spawn_protection 3 //number of seconds that a player is invincible after spawn

emp_sv_player_minimap_interval 3 //how often the network info required to update the minimap is sent (actually split up into 1/4s and sent at 1/4 intervals of this time)
    emp_sv_vehicle_minimap_interval 6

emp_sv_netvisdist_player 7000 //distance to stop sending player network info to others
    emp_sv_netvisdist_building 12000 //distance to stop sending buildings

// bandwidth rates/settings
    sv_maxrate 0 //this should be altered based on how many players you have, 32+ players requires 30,000 for when everyone is assaulting a base and in the same area
    sv_maxupdaterate 101 //change this to what your tick rate is, I highly implore you to gauge how fast your server is before you try setting 48 max players and running at 66+ tickrate
    sv_minupdaterate 70
    sv_minrate 5000
    sv_unlag 1
    sv_maxunlag 0.5
    decalfrequency 10

//voice
    sv_voicecodec vaudio_speex

// server logging
    log on
    sv_logbans 1
    sv_logecho 0
    sv_logfile 1
    sv_log_onefile 1

// operation
    sv_lan 0
    sv_region 0
    sv_contact

//sourcetv - sourcetv takes up 10 ms per frame of cpu time on average
    //I don't recommend turning it on unless you can spare the cpu cycles
    tv_enable 0
    tv_port 27020
    tv_debug 0
    tv_delay 20
    tv_dispatchmode 1
    tv_maxclients 1
    tv_maxrate 20000
    tv_name "name"
    tv_password ""
    tv_relaypassword ""
    tv_snapshotrate 20
    tv_autorecord 0

//vprof - this is for creating performance logs to find bottlenecks
    vprof_scope_entity_gamephys 1
    vprof_scope_entity_thinks 1
    emp_vprof_record_interval 30
    emp_vprof_start
    echo server.cfg loaded

// execute ban files
    exec banned_user.cfg
    exec banned_ip.cfg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  18. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I'd comment out emp_vprof_start.

From HLSW, receive a log stream, and change the map. If you don't see a line saying "server.cfg loaded", then somehow, SRCDS isn't finding and executing your server.cfg file.

All your paths look fine. Where you have your server.cfg, are there a bunch of other files with a .cfg extension?

Is this a Windows server?

19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

yes it is in a cfg folder and yes other files are there with .cfg extension there are also files with.scr ext in the cfg folder..and there is a maps folder in the cfg folder should that be?

The problem is I cant get any info from hlsw because rcon is not being recognized. becasue the server.cfg is not being recognized
    Yes it is windows server

drag and i did a test..i deleted all the maps from my mapcycle and only kept in district. I restarted server and when the map change it went to slaughter which was next map in mapcycle before I deleted all maps except district

also I put in game console rcon_password with my rcon and I did not get a message saying bad password but in hlsw it tells me bad password

* i put in an incorrect rcon_password in console and it still didn't say bad rcon

any ideas? and thank you so much for your time and input

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I think your host might need to take a look at this. You seem to have done everything correctly.