Empires Releases

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by halbalbador, Jul 26, 2006.

1. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

This is just a suggestion. Maybe it only bugs the hell out of me and no one else... but I really think that it's quite possibly the worst thing about the entire mod.

I'm talking about the releases. For every release, you have to re-download every single change from version 1.0. Why not have two options instead of just one?

Download Full Version

Download update (1.06 - 1.07)

Because, honestly, I don't like downloading everything over and over and over again. My internet connection kind of sucks and, for me, it's going to be another 1 hr 58 minutes until the download is done. (it's at 6%)

It just seems so pointless to fix a few minor bugs and make your players redownload the entire mod.

Also, for new players, having them download version 1.0 then the update to version 1.07 is a hassle. Why not just have them download version 1.07 full?

Who knows, maybe everyone else likes the way the system works now, but I think it's just another way that the mod scares off newcomers and makes the whole thing appear unprofessional.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's just a beta. I prefer your way of packaging of course. But if devs have more important problems I can live with it. (but it shouldn't be hard to make full and previous to last patch)

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Annoys me too but last time I put this idea forward, it was shot down (can't remember the reason)

Though, as I said in the other thread; now that the patches are getting a little on the big side, it might be a good idea to start creating full and incremental versions.

4. PJB

PJB Member

i can name five people that downloaded the patch INSTED of the full client, then when it didn't work didn't even try to find what was wrong, accepted it didn't work. and quit.
    i think that from verstion 1.1 there should be a 1.1 full client (at the top of the download list) and a 0.7 (whatever) incrimental patch.
    personaly my internet connection is fast enough where i dont care, but some people in my clan are running on 512k, and it actually takes them over five hours to download the new patches.

5. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I'm running on 512k and it took me about an hour or a bit less to get the 1.07 beta patch. :) I think that there should be three downloads, the full installer, patch from the full to the current(if the full installer isn't up to date) and a patch from previous patch to current. It would make it that much easier to handle(AND YES I KNOW THIS IS SUGGESTED BEFORE, I ONLY POST IT HERE TO SHOW THAT I AGREE)... 150MBs for a patch is quite a lot, especially if you already have most of the content...

6. 2TM

2TM Banned

Yea, I Wish They put patchs in the DL Section. (The .something ones)
    I Hate Having to search the forum for 1.064 patch, etc...

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I'm running 56k.

I'm so damn slow getting the patches, the http site I was getting it from expired my download on me. Assholes at moddb need to die.

I decided to switch to the bittorrent instead. Took me four days or more to get the damn patch.

I want incremental patches. For the love of God, please.