Empires on UE4?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by thomasfn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

We did try Cold Trap for about 8 months. Granted we were all amateur at it, but if ideas is the only thing you have, then I'm sorry to say that's not enough. Not by a long shot.

I still have half a notebook of concepts and ideas. But then I was always too lazy to do coding or modelling. Actually, I dislike coding, but that's another matter.

2. Urknall

Urknall Member

Yes, you are right. I'm to old for this (unfortunately, I have no time for coding... what is really a shame!). I know, that you only respect people, who DO something, so I did translate something etc. BEFORE I post my opinions. And for revolutionary comments, yeah my reputation might be not high enough (or - of course - the ideas to are too bad). That's the reason, why I will never change something... and why I should leave Empires - because, my time is over!

If anybody likes to change the Steam community stuff, please contact me to be co-author. Sorry [Vr] Dragon, I will not upload your French translation, but I think you did a good job. You can do that by your own, it is very easy!

Ok, enough off-topic. Empires on UE4?

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

My point was more just in general, actually. The same goes for lots of things, and it's pretty common in the writing world - there if you have a good idea, it's next to worthless unless you actually write it.

In Cold Trap, which was on the UDK, we had an almost complete infantry system worked out and numerable other concepts. But...at the end of the day, I'm left with paper for that, not things people can actually play.

And I respect people who earn it. Simple as. I respect people I don't even like, just because I know they're good at something. Contrary to what you might believe, I do respect you because you've been helpful and nice. But when you have quite a few posts asking "why don't you do this?" and you get an answer and then you say it again, I'm really not sure if that's helpful. Some of these things you learn simply by playing the game, others it'd be easier to see by doing a little research or thinking about it.

I guess the easiest way though, is if you want to talk about something you can jump in game and just talk to people. Yeah spec is a terrible thing, but most people have learnt an incredible amount talking or simply listening to people there. Though I'm talking about a populated server rather than an empty one.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I ain't even mad.
    You guys criticized the fuck out of him and now hes depressed for it, me telling him to develop a thicker skin is actually being helpful.
    Empires is a coalition of assholes, I wouldn't be here if I took vulkanis seroiusly.
    protip- censorship only makes things worse, looking at you mcgyver.
    Because you know, reading paragraphs of text is what normal people should do.
    We all enjoy reading paragraphs on why we are pieces of shit.

He did his part, and people are giving him shit.
    Why shouldn't he ignore the hate?

Why should he tolerate everyones bullshit when he did something that none of you ever thought of doing?
    A collection of diverse people all over the world and it took some stranger to decide, I am going to translate this.

You shouldn't be surprised at him telling all of you to go fuck yourselves in the nicest way possible.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I don't think anyone is berating him for his contributions to this mod, which have been far more significant than what most forumgoers have achieved. I, for one, highly appreciate all the work he has done for kickstarting the translation efforts and pointing out issues with our Steam community pages.

People are explaining to him that his current emphasis on monetizing Empires is misplaced, that's all.

6. BigTeef

First of all, we couldn't even monetize this even if we tried.
    He could have figured that out with 5 minutes of research, you guys should have told him that instead of dog piling on him.

But god-forbid we pull the stick out of our asses and say that.
    The only people I see decently appreciating people is destroyer, you, and firewarrior.
    Everyone still has this "git gud" attitude.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Say all you want about others, the response to Urknall was harsh to say the least.

8. 101010

101010 Member

Empires as is couldn't make money. Let's face it we can't even give this shit away.
    But they type of game , name, and majority things are Krenzo's.
    Strip away all the things random people have done. The shitty code, crap models, the soon to be replaced UI, the countless broken maps, the old shitty materials, and the broken scripts.
    Take krenzo's vision of empires and leave out all the crap that isn't worth keeping to begin with and make a new game and it could make money.

9. BigTeef

Come back in a few years and talk to candles.

Until then, this baby wont sell.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wasn't this game originally suppose to be roughly four hour matches in the design docs? I'm not sure I would like that version, even games that go for 90 minutes start to feel like a chore, and it kinda stinks if you can't dedicate that much time and see how it ends.

11. 101010

101010 Member

I still don't see candles doing it. By then he will probably have a real job and not have time to do it.

12. BigTeef

You will understand when it happens.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I think we have come full circle in this discussion.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

There are a number of reason I would want to pay people to work on Empires, namely that it increases the dedication and quality of work if money is involved.

A large part of Empires' problems actually stem from the lack of money and that it is a volunteer project.

EDIT: Oops, I posted in a locked thread. Forgot i could do that.

15. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I moved this to OT and unlocked it. If you go off topic whatever

16. communism

communism poof

dis y we luv u

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

Also the 10k post title

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I am always again and again astonished by how in the end EVERY thread on the EMP forum manages to go completely off topic...

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I blame those moderators.

Muh authority!

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's the natural flow of conversation - some person mentions something in their post, and then some other person holds on to that piece and here you go already.