Empires on UE4: UE4 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

They are properties for blueprints.

2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Deif and I are working on Setting Team and Class. Deif is working on the blueprint side and I'm doing C++ stuff.

I also just figured out how to make console commands. You can now switch to any class (including another team's class!) in the console. I'll be adding some protection in there to prevent exploitation later in development (so you can only switch class in a Rax or when dead, can't switch to other team's classes), but for now it's useful to just jump to a class to test.

3. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Unreal 4.7.2 came out today. No changes to make. It just compiles and works.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Here is a little something I'm working on.

[​IMG]

The classes, spawn points, and teams (when they are in) will be dynamically added to this UI. There is no need to make UI changes to add new classes to the selection screen.

The spawn text boxes are also buttons, so you can click them to select a spawn point (that works, thanks to Deif yesterday). I want to make the background the minimap (it's just a widget, it can be anything. Right now it's simply an image) and plot the spawn points onto the minimap. That's going to take a significant amount of work to get to that point, so right now it's just a list of buttons.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

The project seems to be heading in a good direction! The only problem is that my hardware is crap.(Read:not costing 10 million dollars per each part.)

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm fairly certain that you can build a decent gaming PC under a thousand bucks, just ask the experts around here.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Depending on what you already have you could get a decent one for as little as 500$

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

@Grantrithor: That appears to be an engine crash you found. I'm trying to find out what I did to cause it.

EDIT: I've discovered the cause of the crash. There doesn't appear to be a workaround yet.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. 101010

101010 Member

Try http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
    Add in all parts you plan to keep from current build. Put price as $0 and mark already purchased.Things like a case, ram, hard drive, cooling fans, and maybe your current power supply.
    Then play around until you can get a decent build within your budget. Or upgrade a little bit at a time. They also have different builds to give you some ideas.Like http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Kf4CmG for $407.92

@Kylegar Might want consider a NDA and use-right. So that if this becomes something big it isn't screwed over by 1 or more of it's contributors not agreeing later. Like Krenzo suing over intellectual property rights.

10. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Krenzo is alright with this project, I've talked to him about it.

As for everyone's contributions... Yeah, I should get around to it. I want to deal with this individually for anyone who has contributed, but expect either transfer of ownership if it's code or blueprint, and a right to use/modify/distribute if not code.

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

That would never happen, hes too nice.
    He gave us the source code and kits, hes done with this game.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. 101010

101010 Member

Yeah I figured Krenzo was ok with it. But it would be funny if years from now he sued..Hmm that would create a lot of publicity for the game.

Also you might want to include a compiled dll as some people might want to check things out that don't know how to use Visual Studio or that don't want to go threw the trouble of compiling. Maybe even just dropbox one after every engine update. I know some mappers and modelers don't know too much about the code side of games. Plus VS takes so long to install.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

14. Deiform

Deiform Member

You don't need VS at all, just the Unreal Engine. You can install it if you want and look at the C++ code, but it's not needed for modellers or mappers.

The Joel Test is a big vague, is there something specific you're highlighting?

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Did you read it all? Because there are certainly a lot of things we are not doing. And those are completely independent whether we have a fixed team or voluntary contributors.

16. Deiform

Deiform Member

Ooook... yeah I read it years ago. It's been updated since then as CI has been about for a while, but I guess you're talking about the spec and/or testers?

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

My main concern right now is lacking documentation of any kind and a missing schedule.

Heck we don't even really know where we want to go apart from a loosely defined goal to duplicate Empires to UE4. Those few headlines in the issue tracker aren't enough. You have to think about where you want to go, before you start walking.

Concerning the schedule: You guys already voiced your concerns, that you won't probably be able to keep fixed deadlines. Schedules can also be defined without fixed deadlines. Just documenting if a certain task is blocked by something, that needs to be done first is already a huge help.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah ok. At the moment the project is changing a lot in the backend. I'm finding it difficult to do stuff as Kylegar has his vision of how the low level stuff should work and he'll plug away at that. It's not stable at all.

I think once the real core stuff is done (can select a team, class and spawn point and weapons), then it will be easier to know what path we need to go down. There's a lot of roadblocks currently with there being a lack of C++ event hooks and the fact that only 1 person can work on blueprints at a time or you'll end up with a giant merge conflict. Blueprints really suck for that reason.

I doubt anyone can really contribute until the core stuff is done, but after that I think we can do some proper documentation and storyline where we want to go.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That is actually not the case of the Blueprint system sucking, that is purely based on the decision to only fork and not using Git check outs. Also not telling others what you are planning to and are working on at the moment.

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

I don't understand what you're saying because git check outs do nothing to help merging binary files and in effect it's the same as forking except it's local.