Empires on UE4: UE4 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

For long term, we'll use the github issue tracker.

Yeah, but you also know when something wont merge.

I dunno, binary file conflicts are going to be a problem. I'm not sure how best to deal with them without going over to SVN and doing the lock/unlock method.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Ponypires, Nudepires et al.

Anyhow, im wondering if by 1:1 you mean exactly porting stuff like eg. current com gui, which is rather notorious for being user unfriendly, or just porting over its concept.

3. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Concept. Oh god concept.

If you can reinvision something to be better or more usable on the UI front... go for it. It should have the same function as srcpires (you should be able to build the same buildings, research the same researches), but it can look however you want it to.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

But that exactly is my problem with this whole thing. On one hand you say that you want to take over concepts of the already existing Empires, but leave everyone free on how to do so exactly. So they will eventually end up working until the completion on the thing they are working on, with nobody actually having a bigger picture of it all. I just fear that this whole project will just end up like a giant patch work, with nobody planning how things will work together beforehand.

5. Deiform

Deiform Member

Trello would be good I think. Easy to use, clear to administrate and clear to everyone what things people have taken from the list. So one column is the todo column, then people take a card, put it in the 'In Work' column and assign it to themselves. If a card hasn't moved for a few weeks and the user is inactive then it gets moved back to the queue for someone else to take.

6. zenarion

zenarion Member

I second the motion of using Trello.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I got a chance to use trello recently and it was pretty helpful in listing off stuff that needed to be done.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Motion to use trello passed?

9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Urge to correct the typo is rising...

10. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Does anyone have an issue using githubs issue tracker over Trello?

https://github.com/RoyAwesome/Empires2/issues

EDIT: I ported my quick roadmap of What is done/What needs to be worked on to the Github Issue Tracker. Should give a pretty decent path forward.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I'm starting work on the Team system. I want UE4pires to be able to support any two arbitrary teams to take part in a match, so I'm making teams a data asset that list their 'Units' (infantry classes, Vehicles, Buildings, and maybe researches).

There are a number of reasons I'm doing it this way.

1) It'd be fun to do BE vs BE and NF vs NF matches.
    2) We could do 4-team matches, with BE vs BE vs NF vs NF or any combo of that.
    3) We could do different themed maps. We could have an early war 'Brenodi Occupation Force' vs 'Northern Faction Rebels' with some different kits. Later we can have a 'Brenodi Imperial Army' vs 'Jekotian Republic Guard' with more futuristic weapons as that kind of battle would take place later in the timeline.
    4) Y'all can create random fucking teams for mods. BE vs GDI? NOD vs The Galactic Empire? Terran vs BE vs Zerg vs Undead. Whatever modders can come up with. It'll be fun to watch.

13. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

I am currently building UE on archlinux, i'll report the result of building Empires2 on this platform.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Deif just added spawn point selection. So that's now done. It took him about 5 hours to do the whole feature... which is great because it's an example of what can be done by someone just learning how to do things for the first time.

15. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I'm beginning a long and ugly process of renaming all of the source files to a consistant naming scheme.

All C++ base classes will be named 'EmpBaseWhatever'
    All Blueprint base classes will be named 'EmpWhatever'
    All 'Final' classes will be named 'Whatever'

where Whatever is whatever the name of the class is. For example, Gamemode will have a C++ base of EmpBaseGamemode, BP base of EmpGamemode, and any actual gamemodes will be named things like 'DeathmatchGamemode', 'CTFGamemode', and so on.

This process is going to be incredibly slow going as simply renaming C++ classes breaks Blueprint references and it's impossible to recover them. The process is create a new class based on the one you are renaming with the proper name, parent the blueprint to the new class, then rename the class, delete the one with a conflicting name, and recompile. It's a pain.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah like 4 hours of staring at the code figuring out how it fit together. 1 hour actually doing it. Could redo in 5 minutes lol.

17. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Source 2 was just announced today.
    Cheers!

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Candlespires hype?

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well they only announced it. From all I've see so far, what they had planned with Source 2 isn't nearly able to hold a light to Unreal 4.

If you need any tips on how to get models into UE4, just ask me. For now I will prioritize some other things though. I want to at least get the Sticky Grenade textured.

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

How is script data (as it is in SourcePires) loaded in UE4?